PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Post for August

Dougwas
08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
There has been quite a bit of talk about goal setting in the last little while so it seems like a good time to get the Goal Post thread going again. So I guess my first goal is to keep this thread going every month.:D

This is the place to write down your art related goals. Do you want to paint for an hour every day? Do you want to take a workshop? Do you want to try landscapes? Any goal you can think of, this is the place to be.

This is a place to come to for support and encouragement. If your goal is important to you, it is important to us. Your goal might even inspire somebody else.

Just remember. These are goals, not musts. If you don't reach a goal it is okay. You might just have to re-think it. It is impotant to make your goals obtainable. We want to set ourselves up for success.

So come on and join in.

Doug

Dougwas
08-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Well, I guess I should get things started.:)

- I will paint for at least 1 hour a day for the rest of August.
- I will improve my knowledge of art by reading art related material or watching art DVDs for at least 1 hour a day for the rest of August.
- I will paint a landscape and post it in the studio thread by the end of August.

See. It's not hard to do. I can now come back anytime to check my goals and see how I am doing.

Doug

Colorix
08-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Thank you, Doug, this is an excellent thread!

My goal would be to spend less time on WC and paint more... :-D

Seriously, my goal for this autumn is to produce one to two paintings per week. Finished frame-able paintings. Not sketches, not fun play, but complete finished paintings (in addition to sketching and playing).

In order to accomplish that, I need to get more structure in my days. I work irregular hours in my own business. I will teach a pastel class and have to prepare it real soon. I sing in a choir, and am chairperson of it until February next year. And thousands of things that interfere with my real life which is lived in my studio. Gotta structure life. Don't like structure, like to do what pleases me whenever it pops up in my head.

First part of reaching the goal is to go to bed no later than 11 pm. (Am a night-owl...)

Charlie

Dougwas
08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
You are welcome Charlie. I am glad you like the idea. Goal setting was a very important tool for me when I was in banking. I wrote goals down and worked towards them and the next thing you knew I was crossing them off my list.:)

It sounds like you have a busy life but I also know that painting is a very important part of your life so I am sure you will find the time to paint. I always look forward to seeing your colourful paintings.

Good luck with your painting.

Doug

bchlvr
08-21-2008, 09:15 PM
I like the idea also. It is very hard for me to follow through because I always convince myself that I am not good enough. I would like to paint 1 pastel painting once a week...confidence or not...it is so easy to talk myself out of painting at all because of feelings of failure.

Dougwas
08-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Linn.:wave: I am happy you liked the idea.

I think it's a great idea to paint a painting a week.:thumbsup: I know what you mean about confidence, believe me. But with the help of so many good artists at WC, I belive we can only improve with their help and guidance. The people at WC can help us reach our goals.

This is a great community an we are lucky to be a part of it. I am looking forward to seeing your painting.

Doug

Shellee
08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
:thumbsup: Just what I need! Thank-you Doug for starting this thread!

I am working as a substitute teacher this year so I don't know what my reschedule will be like. I am excited about being home to pursue interests and develop my skills. In college my strengths were in ceramics and 3-D forms. Last spring I took an oil painting workshop and decided to work on developing my drawing and painting skills. I preferred soft pastel over any painting medium in school and so here I am.

My Goals:
1) To have at least 4 new pastel works worthy of matting and framing by the 26th of September as I am participating in an art crawl that weekend and an alumni art exhibition that follows two weeks later. :eek:

2) To take two workshops this fall. This requires travel to a larger city, there is nothing locally unless I teach it! I am already signed up for one in November!

3) To complete no less than 2 works every week for the rest of this year, 2008.

4) To post at least 6 postings a week in the WC pastels forum.

5) To quit taking everything so seriously!

I'm committed, its in writing!
Thanks Doug,
Shellee

Shellee
08-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Linn, I too often lack confidence in my work and skills. It can hinder me greatly when I allow it to. I am learning to trust the process of learning through experience. One of my instructors once told me that "there is no such thing as failure in art unless you didn't learn a thing in the process of creating it!"
Just think of the learning experience you will gain from completing one painting a week!
Shellee

nvcricket
08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Great thread Doug....

Charlie....My thought exactly....spend less time here, but this is my schooling!!!

Great goal Linn- Good luck, once you get started, and get it worked up a bit, it gets hard to stop.

Doug-pretty realistic goals! Looking forward to your "goal" painting at the end of next week!

My goal........hmmm...

Goal for Aug- I will have determined what my goal for September will be by 8/31/2008! LOL

I want to improve my drawing skills. I want what to be able to express "what I see and smell, and sense" better. So realistically.... My goal for the rest of this month is to spend 1/2 hour of my lunch hour three days a week doing pencil sketches, thumbnails or notans of whatever strikes my fancy.

Carol

Dougwas
08-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Wow! And here I was worried nobody would participate.:o

Shellee- I hope this helps you get to where you want to be. Great percise goals. They are in writing and you have dates. You are commited.:thumbsup:

I am glad you mentioned taking things too seriously. I know I work better when I am having fun and I think most people are like that.

Carol- I am so glad you joined us. We can all imrove our drawing skills. Very good goal and it doesn't take up that much time.

Now I am off to watch a Margaret Evans DVD on painting flowers. I am glad you both joined us.

Doug

Hugsy25
08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
yeah!!!! a goal thread! This is perfect thanks for making it Doug!

So ok for August lets see

I'd like to do at least two hours of art a day.
I'd like to read helpful art related materials...(that covers being online wooohooo lol)
I'd like to finish at least one more painting by the end of August. (so far I submitted 3 pieces to my DA account this month.!!! I'm on a roll!

Hugsy25
08-22-2008, 02:10 PM
I also think maybe I need to learn to slow down.... I don't know sometimes I feel like I rush too much to get a painting done... maybe that's my style and it's how I work I don't know... but I get comments on things and I wonder if I hadn't rushed so much if it could have been better.

Phillgood
08-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Haven't been here in awhile, because of a full schedule. I need a goal. I guess I can commit to producing 1 work at least every 2 weeks. Something small while I am in school and then I can go from there.

Colorix
08-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Doug, I just realized that the title of this thread has a double meaning: a goal-post, and a thread with post regarding personal goals. LOL! And I ain't no illitterate! so it only took me two days to figure it out...

Phil, good goal in a busy life. Is it a wish, or a commitment? "I guess I can commit to..." you say. If you really want your subconscious to work for the goal, state it in a clear un-ambiguous way. If your workload is so great you're unsure of if you can meet the goal, rephrase it. You may only have realistic time for 1 work per month. Truly, it is scary how dumb our subconsciousnesses are -- they can't even handle a negation. A negation just gets dropped: "I will paint no less than 2 paintings per month" immediately drops the "no", and what do we have then? "I will paint less than...."

Phyllis, I give you the same advice, basically, as to Phil: rephrase into "I will" or "my goal is to..". Good goals.
Regarding speed: what is the important part of "getting it done", to you? How do you feel when you think of staying in the process of painting a bit longer, or continue the same painting next day/next weekend? I'm not asking you to answer me, but to think on it. Those are two different approaches, and neither is right or wrong.

Carol, this is my schooling too! You have indeed a clearly stated goal! Do come back and tell us if you were clear in your mind on August 31. It will inspire us, as I'm sure you will have a clear goal for September right on that day.

Shellee, great goals. You'll reach them!

Linn, I went to your website, and I definitely saw only successful paintings, lovely sensitive paintings and you have a good natural sense for a good composition and make gorgeous luminous washes. Definitely "good enough", in fact, *very* promising. A person who has the will and the drive, and the love, for learning and changing, and who perseveres in finding out things, figuring out things, and asking for knowledge, is a real artist at heart. Schooling or no schooling, that doesn't matter. It is the passion that matters. Did you know that over 90% of those who graduate from art-colleges have stopped painting five years later? Stopped entirely. They didn't have the love or the drive. No passion. So give yourself credit for the great work you're doing in teaching you!

Doug, great goals, and well formulated. Love those "I will"! I will watch the Studio for that landscape!

Charlie

Phillgood
08-22-2008, 04:39 PM
You caught me red handed Charlie. It is a wish, but I will make it a goal. How is this...I will paint 1 work every two weeks. :)

Kathryn Wilson
08-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, Doug, it looks like the Goal Posts is off and running again.

For our newbies, this has been a favorite feature for quite a few years. First it was led by a wonderful member, Khadres, who was so supportive and kind, who passed away quite suddenly.

Then Piper picked it up and did a great job - but personal responsibilities took over and she needed some "me" time ...

SO!! Doug was so kind to start this up again. This forum may be overseen by staff, but it's our volunteers who keep it going every day.

Colorix
08-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Phil, excellent! Will you post it too, so we can see?

I've been working real hard on setting goals for the past two years, reading a lot on how to do it, and how to self-talk in a way that builds up. Have had to learn to spot my own avoidances, maybe-promises, obfuscations... Your words were awfully familiar to me, as they've been mine. So, no, I can't read minds over the internet... :-D only in real life, ask my Hubby... LOL!

Charlie

Dougwas
08-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Charlie- lol I can't take credit for the title of the thread, but I'd like to. I just thought it was time to get this thread going again and with the amount of people resonding here, I am glad I did.

Phyllis- Welcome. These sound like good goals. I know what you mean about being in a rush to finish a painting. I can only sit in my studio for an hour or so because that's all my back will allow me to. I have found myself rushing to try to get as much done as I can while I can. It has taken me a while to realise that my painting will still be waiting for me the next day.:D

Phil- Glad you could join in. With all the school work you are going to have, this sounds like an obtainable goal. Goals can always be changed.

Regarding wording in setting goals, it is best to state "I will" or "My goal is" because this shows more of a commitment. I am not too worried about the wording of goals right now. I just want everyone to get into a habbit of writing things down and seeing if the goals are actually obtainable. Just remember that goals can be changed at ANY time. They are YOUR goals and nobody elses.

Doug

ElsieH
08-22-2008, 05:17 PM
:wave: Hi, All!

I am taking up Maggie Price's suggestion/challenge from the end of her pastel book:
To paint 500 landscape paintings on location. I have no time frame for this
experiment. I'm sort of aiming for one to two paintings per week. But, I know this will vary.
I have to modify a little by what "on location" means, from pure "en plein air" to what I can manage in a very wintery area of the USA (Wisconsin) and my own mobility issues. I have Post Polio Symdrome (I had a small bout with polio at age 4 and as one ages the muscles fatique easily.) So I am delighted with Maggie's ways to do it from the inside when necessary:
Painting out the window: I am blessed with a rural, wooded setting and wonderful windows plus a four-season porch/green room.
Also, she suggests painting landscape elements brought inside: rocks, shells, plants, branches.
But, right now, getting outside is delightful. :clap: :clap:

So, I'm up for goal setting: Painting one two or more paintings per week
of landscape on location or from life: windows and still life/materials.

Hugsy25
08-22-2008, 06:47 PM
LOL... Ok I never noticed how I worded my goals.. but now that I look at it seems sketchy to me. Like they are only half enthusiastic or something...

I WILL (sounds better already) paint for at least 2 hours a day
I WILL read art related material. ie magazines, web sites, how to books
I WILL finish at least one more painting before the end of August... oh wait I DID!!!! LOL finished another one today! Posted it in the Studio gallery... Titled A Painters Sky.

As for the slowing down bit.... it's not that I feel I have to have it finished. I just find when I finish or feel it's finished I wonder if I should have taken more time.

but

I WILL learn to slow down!

SuzySue
08-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm starting grad school in Sept, so these my sound a little strange.

1. I will painting for 1 hr a day 5 days a week
2. I will not put schoolwork before goal #1
3. I will put schoolwork before house cleaning.

I tend to clean when I want to procrastinate.

bchlvr
08-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your wonderful comments Charlie! Sometimes I wonder if I should just stick to watercolor...but then I see all of your beautiful pastel paintings and I want to learn to do those. I love the beautiful colors and the realism I see in all of your beautiful paintings. And your colors Charlie are especially gorgeous...all of your paintings just shine in fantastic color!

Dougwas
08-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Elsie. Your goal of at least 1 painting a week will help you get to your long term goal of 500 paintings. Before you know it you will be well on your way. It is amazing what you can see looking out your window. I live in northern British Columbia so I can relate to the winters. I am glad you joined us.

Sue, these goals don't sound strange. School and art are more important than a clean house. I had to tell my wife about goal #3. She does the same thing.:lol: Welcome and good luck.

Doug

Semele
08-22-2008, 10:14 PM
There are a lot of good ideas here. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who needs direction to get somewhere. :)

I commit to drawing and painting (quick studies) for 1 hour per day. I will break it down to 1/2 hour of each. I want to improve in both areas, and am most interested in finding my "voice" in drawing. Eventually, once I've tried and failed, tried and failed again, and finally succeeded in making this a habit, I'll add producing 1 finished painting a week to the goals list.

This will be a real squeeze. I run out of time and energy a lot when I'm trying to do things that mean more to me than "making a buck", but I suspect that it has to do with not utilizing my time well. I've recently started a full-time job that is physically demanding in the extreme (I've lost almost 20 lbs in less than 6 weeks because of the constant exercise involved), so I tend to come home and throw myself down and not indulge in anything more physically or mentally difficult than light, mindless chores. Concentrating on fine motor skills and staying focused is going to be a real challenge. I look forward to the struggle.

Dougwas
08-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Welcome to WC and The Goal Post Semele. You will find this to be a very friendly and supportive place.

Having a hectic work life can put a damper on your art and making a goal to dedicate an hour a day to art might just be the thing you need. You will end up looking forward to your "hour away from it all" and before you know it you will find your "voice" in art.

I know it is an old saying but it is sooooo true. "Practice, practice, practice." If you work on your art for just an hour a day I am sure you will find your voice.

Doug

Lisa Fiore
08-23-2008, 02:00 PM
This thread is a great idea!! My goal is to draw, paint or sketch for at least 1/2 hour every day. This doesn't sound like much, but I have 3 kids--the youngest only 2 years old--and it's so hard to fit the time in! Of course, spending less time on WC would help to free up some time...but it's easier to find a few minutes to go on-line than to break all of my art stuff out while keeping my youngest otherwise occupied (he REALLY wants to color with my "pretty crayons"...:) ) So that's my goal for now--1/2 hour a day! Oh, and it would be nice to finish the "Aug pastel strokes" painting I've been working on here and there for the past 3 weeks (no where near finished!)--so I'll add that goal, too--to finish it before September!! Thanks for starting this thread!!!:cat:

Dougwas
08-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi Elizabeth. Welcome to The Goal Post. I am glad you think this is a great idea.

I think your goal sound quite reasonable. With 3 kids it's hard enough to find time to breath.:D A half hour can maybe stretch to an hour some days. Good luck to you. You can do it. Maybe your 2 year old can be your painting buddy in the future.:)

Doug

pastel lover
08-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi Doug,

Great idea for a thread! Hmmm...my goals shall be:
1) To complete a painting series of 5-10 (depending on size) painting by the end of September.
2) To create at least two entries for a regional show schedule for October.

Tanja

Judibelle
08-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for this inspiring thread, Phil....makes me realize I need to articulate goals before I can realize them. One of my problems is finding the 'right thing' to paint any given time. So my first goal will be to
focus on at least one subject and then DO IT.
I find reading WC every day has been a goal for me all along, and I do a lot of reading in the different areas. Now it's time to produce! (too much thinking, not enough doing...)
Hope to come up with a couple more for Sept....
Judibelle

Dougwas
08-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome Tanja and Judibelle.

Tanja, very ambitious goals. I think entering a regional show is a great idea. It shows that you are confident in your abilities. It might be an idea to change your other goal to "at least one painting" by the end of August and then on September 1 you might say "at least 4 paintings" by the end of September. A goal should have a specific number and if you do more that number, great.

I know what you mean about focusing on one subject Judibelle, and I too spend alot of time reading the great info at WC. Maybe your goals can read "I will paint and concentrate on landscapes (or what ever area you want) for x amount of time every day" and "I will send x amount of time every day reading and learning more about art". This gives you specific goals and if you spend more time painting and reading, fantastic.

Welcome again and I hope this thread helps you both.

Doug

Colorix
08-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Linn, thank you! And remember, every time you pick up a new medium, it feels like you're back on square one, even though you know how to paint. As soon as you work out some stuff (by trying ) about how the pastels behave, you'll do wonderfully with them.

Phyllis, how does it feel when you used *I will*? Feel more committed?

Sue, great goals. I too do chores when procrastinating. Or pluck my eyebrows... My motto for 2008 is: "procrastinate tomorrow" :-D

Elsie, such a wonderful home you have! I too know about winters... It is great that one can do plein air without the 'plein'. I know some artists paint from inside their cars, too. Great goals! You insipre me to be more creative about comfortable and warm and dry plein air.

Semele, impressive goals, and won't the job feel less physcally demanding after a while, well, hopefully it will, and you'll have the energy to draw and paint and not be exhausted.

Elisabeth, great goal! Would your youngest be happy to draw alongside you, with his own crayons? I guess not... For some reason, I think of Margaret Mitchell, who squeezed in writing between taking care of house and family. You'll succeed too!

Tanja and Judibelle, Doug said it all to you, so I chime in with Yes!

ChristyLB
08-25-2008, 12:19 PM
I will finish one painting suitable for hanging by the end of the month.

Dougwas
08-25-2008, 01:03 PM
To the point and very precise Christy. Welcome to WC and The Goal Post. I am looking forward to seeing your painting.

Doug

ChristyLB
08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks, Doug! I look forward to seeing it too! :lol:

M Douglas
08-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Well seeing as we only have one week left for the month of August, i'll keep it simple.

1. I WILL finish the bucket of beer painting that has been sitting on my spare easel for the last 2 years which is about 90% finished. (notice how firm that sounded :lol: )

2. I will PLAY I have never just played with my paints, everything is always a finished painting even when I sketch its always a finished sketch soooooo this week I am going to play!!!

Melodie

Judibelle
08-25-2008, 03:27 PM
So I really did it....the Pastel Challenge for August, which I've been looking at and thinking about. Now I need to get 2 works ready to submit to a show our art league is sponsoring next month. (It's juried, so I'm not holding my breath about getting selected....but who knows? At least I will try...
JB (So thanks for the motivation, Doug...)

Tressa
08-25-2008, 05:26 PM
One of my goals was to post to this thread:evil:
My short term goal is to get my eyes back to normal after minor surgery, and they are almost there. Another is to start a painting commission I have been procrastinating on cuz it is a portrait of a little girl in a satin kindergarten grad suit, board, and big huge grin full of teeth:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dougwas
08-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi Melodie. Glad you found us. You got my attention with a bucket of beer.:evil: That sounds interesting. You can come and play with us over in the Weekly Sketch thread. You can paint anything you want but this week we are focusing on trees.:eek:

By the way, I used to live on Townline Road in Clearbrook about 16 years ago.(Where does the time go?)

Way to go Judibelle.:thumbsup: Keep it up.

Hello Tressa. I hope your eyes get better soon. It must be hard. When you get better we will get you to set a date for that painting. I am happy you joined us.

Doug

M Douglas
08-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi Doug, its a small world isn't it. You left then just before I moved here, its been 15 years for me now. I have a cousin that lives in Houston whom I haven't seen in a number of years although my sister who lives in Prince George has caught up with her on a few occasions. Do you have relatives in Abby?

Yikessssss TREES I'll see what I can find that would be a good place to play.

Melodie

Kathryn Wilson
09-05-2008, 05:50 PM
I am going to "unsticky" this thread - it will still be available, but if you have comments to make on your current goals, you need to post in the September goals thread.