PDA

View Full Version : Practice piece

InkyEss
08-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Inspired by Quills' Basho I decided to try the calligraphy with a nice background.

Here I played with watercolours to get some leafy kind of textural background. I had inked in the text first, but needed to restate it after the background was put in, just to oomph it up a bit.

What do you think? I'm still not sure I have the spacing and size of lettering correct, but I am reasonably pleased with how its coming along. C&c always welcome.

quills
08-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Great success Sharon :thumbsup: and you have only just started, surprising what lovely words can do for a painting.
Best at first always do background first you then have the background to fit the letters into.
Clever background textures your excellent watercolour work is coming through.

marie_d
08-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Wow Sharon you are coming on in leaps and bounds. That background is awesome.....I'm afraid watercolour is the only medium I am not comfortable with, hence the hesitation to do a watercolour wash background :D
Keep up the good work:thumbsup:

Hiraeth
08-21-2008, 04:13 PM
You and quills have inspired me to try a watercolor background--something I have never done. Any tips or instructions you'd like to share, anyone?

{quote=ShazG]Inspired by Quills' Basho I decided to try the calligraphy with a nice background.

Here I played with watercolours to get some leafy kind of textural background. I had inked in the text first, but needed to restate it after the background was put in, just to oomph it up a bit.

What do you think? I'm still not sure I have the spacing and size of lettering correct, but I am reasonably pleased with how its coming along. C&c always welcome.[/quote]

InkyEss
08-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Quills, thank you so much, yes, I did wonder at first which to begin with... background or lettering. I think it would certainly be a good idea to get the bg in first. :thumbsup:

Marie, watercolour is my first love and I cannot imagine life without it... you should give it a try, there's nothing to be hesitant about. It's great fun.

Kim, go for it! :clap: I would say keep it simple, practice with watercolours first so you get a feel for what you can achieve. I love watercolours because of their translucency and the many things you can do with them...

Paint one colour, allow to dry, then paint another colour over the top: Or Use salt on damp paint to make pretty patterns; Or Wax resist (using candle or wax crayon) then paint over; Or clingfilm (plastic wrap) over damp paint, squidge it around to make patterns allow to dry thoroughly then peel off and hey presto, you've got yourself a textured background! :heart:

You can also lift out damp paint using sponge, tissue or cotton wool to make interesting effects. Oh, gosh the list is endless!

See, it's so easy!

TessDB
08-22-2008, 09:43 AM
oooo... You're giving my Idea Fairies new fodder!

Maybe I missed it... did you say what type of paper did you use for this?

Rosemary

Hiraeth
08-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Too funny. That was my exact question, too! : D

I can't wait to get started on this. It will probably be the middle of next week, though. . .sigh.

oooo... You're giving my Idea Fairies new fodder!

Maybe I missed it... did you say what type of paper did you use for this?

Rosemary

TessDB
08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Too funny. That was my exact question, too! :D

Well, hopefully yours was more grammatically correct than mine! That's what I get for not re-reading a post before hitting the magic button! :lol: :lol: :lol:

r.

InkyEss
08-23-2008, 03:28 AM
I'm so pleased I have inspired you to try watercolours... it's my favourite medium (which is why I get carried away if anyway asks about it:lol: )

The paper was watercolour HP paper which is reasonably smooth, but I use these kind of techniques on any watercolour paper (smooth is obviously better for penwork).

Keep the watercolours fairly fluid (tube colours rather than pans means you can add as much water as you need and make up larger quantities too).

Shaz