PDA

View Full Version : A Different Perspective-for C and C please

arl
08-21-2008, 10:26 AM
This is the 10 by 12 inch painting I have been working on. I took all of the advice, thanks. I darkened the form and cast shadows on the rocks; I added green to the water and splattered with a toothbrush the water drops. There are 2 images. I felt the top half of the painting needed something so the second painting shows a tree limb at the top left. It is hard to see on the PC as I used a watercolour crayon that I could then wash off. I probably will need to put something on the top right for balance. All help and advice is appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2008/114108-Perspective.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2008/114108-Perspective_with_tree.jpg

~~Kathleen
08-21-2008, 02:11 PM
You have a wonderful base here Arl.
I think what you need is a bit more focus on definition re the rock and the water.
As it is there are no shadows on the rock, and the water could be interpreted as a sky yet.
The branch will most certainly help!
You are traveling in the right direction, now what you should do is define the elements!
~~Kathleen

Paetau
08-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Yes I definetely agree that you are moving in the right direction with the branch! I think like Kathleen said more defined elements are needed...maybe work in small area's and lay down a little bit of colour at one time rather that large strokes...
Anyways happy painting can't wait to see the finished project
Cheers
Julie

Bizkit
08-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Ok, this is coming along well!!! Personally, I dont like the branch and dont believe its a needed element in this painting, thats just me, if you like it by all means leave it. I do agree with Ynutpabout darkening the elements such as the rocks and do think that will help as well.
Now, If I remeber correctly, this is a seascape with a huge mass of foam right in your face, correct? I do see some spatter, but your going to need to be ALOT more aggressive with the paint if you want to achieve that foam effect. Dont be afraid to really sling it on there and be creative with it!!!!!

Overall a A+ for effort !!!!!

sonita
08-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Well, I don't need the branch either Arlene...just focus on the heavy water splash!!! I like this subject a lot!! Can't wait to see the finish! :)
Soni

tonyjazz
08-22-2008, 06:26 AM
You can define the splash of waves more by highlighting the tops of the waves using a sponge in T-white. TJ

arl
08-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks all for the help. I don't like the tree limb but I did feel I needed to put something in the top.

Charlie's Mum
08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
Arlene - I don't like that tree limb either!:lol: - however, if you feel one is needed, be really bold about it, make it big and bring it to the fore to make it frame the focal point of the work.

And yes, agree with Biz - that foam spattering needs to be BOLD :D

Keep going though - you're doing fine :thumbsup:

arl
08-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your help Maureen.

Charlie's Mum
08-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Lol, you're very welcome!
I meant to add to ry it in your image manip. programme first, see what it's like!:)