PDA

View Full Version : Lady in White

Corby
08-20-2008, 10:30 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-20-2008/70790_everlasting.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lady in White
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 18X24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A portrait of my wife. There have been many attempts at this painting over the past year. You may be tired of seeing it. Finally I have the face! You would know her anywhere from it...the problems of a difficult pose probably still remain.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
a modeled face that is not smooth and of one color, has long been a goal for me. I think I am getting there?<br><br>Have I had too great a fascination with the dress?<br><br>I know the setting is not contemporary...but then neither am I. It will also be framed in Gilt 'swirlies' of some sort. <br><br>Is it worth the cost of a frame?<br><br>technical and aesthetic responses are all appreciated!

Gemini IX
08-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi C.L.

I think she is lovely! I am not an expert, but I see perfection! Totally worth the cost of a frame and an expensive one!:thumbsup:

tgsloth
08-20-2008, 11:08 PM
It's the treatment of the dress, sky and background which lifts this painting into the stratosphere.

maggimow
08-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Yes Her eyes are moms eyes.
Very nice dad!
Sold!

MRSBB
08-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Who are we to argue with your daughter. The whole painting is gorgeous and that dress is just exquisite. My only nit would be her head seems to be turned too far back over her shoulder, just a tad. No one else mentioned it so it may just be me. Wonderful painting. The important thing is if you are satisfied with it. Keep having fun.............Lenore

La_
08-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Beauty indeed Corvus, but I agree with Lenore in that I think more of the back of her neck might show? I do hope Tali stops in, she's been working this pose too ...

la

Dana Design
08-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Corby, I think that with a bit of shading, the head turn would work. Experiment with it in PhotoShop. Lovely. Buy the frame!

tali
08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
What an amazing painting Corby! The dress is beautiful and adds needed movement, but certainly does not detract from its wearer. Your choice of background is also perfect for the dress and pose. Her gaze is quite penetrating and the viewer locks eyes with her immediately. Especially nice is your use of cool lighting on her face—which has changed from that direct sun she was is before. It’s much more effective for this particular setting. It confirms my theory that the light/shadow opposite temperature “rule” is a vast generalization and that it is actually the alternating of temperatures that really matters—cool light, warmer halftones, cooler light shadows and so on. I agree that there might be something off it the neck/head turn area, I’ll have to study it further tonight, I can compare it to my reference. If you e-mail me some photos of your wife that would help me also—although I do understand that this is a composite of several different elements—I just need to study her face structure. There also might be some “real” portrait experts in the portraiture forum that can better help with the perspective. I also see a few edges that could use some adjusting, but really nothing huge—just the final touches that make a portrait complete. Of course the portrait is worth much more than any frame!

Corby
08-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Ian How much I appreciate your comment. Thank you for having a look and telling me your opinion!

TG Thank you, in all modesty I admit to having some control on those elements. Now if I can just ever capture the essentials and the subtleties of the more important aspect!

maggi Yes child, I agree, the eyes at least are moms. The 'reality' of the rest is my own...maybe after the resurrection if I can keep her out of the garden long enough, I can get the rest of her down in paint, properly as well!

MRSBB Thank you for having a look again and commenting. You are right about the neck area, I am afraid there are others as well. If I can apply some minor adjustments to improve it I will. But basically, this is finished. My struggle with it was worthwhile...I think it moved me forward some in painting flesh tones...at least beginning to add some color to them.

HiLA! Right you are! And I hope Tali can give me a suggestion or more on this as well!

Dana I am hoping that something as simple as that will work. I think I have tried to conceal some size disparities, such as raising the waistline of the dress for example because of relationships that dont quite match with the neck and arms...thanks for your optimism! I'll ride it through like the crest of my wave!

Tali I appreciate your analytical comments. I dont have many pics of Linda, just a couple of her 'gussied up' ones that really show her face...I will send them on. Thanks so much!

maggimow
08-22-2008, 02:35 AM
True ! true!
But about mom staying out of the garden long enough to paint her hummmm
well I wish you the best on that one....Thats an Idea dad !
How about a painting with mom working in the garden.
At least you might remember what her back side looked like.
She always seem to be bent over pulling out the weeds.He He!
I can see her in a big straw hat with flowers on it and she is bent down pulling weeds.