PDA

View Full Version : Basho

quills
08-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Pointed Italic letters and colour... Goache on Watercolour paper, having a look at the new upload size. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2008/69681-FirstSnow-800.jpg

Hiraeth
08-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Stunningly beautiful lettering!

azulparsnip
08-19-2008, 03:23 PM
very nice

Hiraeth
08-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm guessing from your name, quills, and from the delicate lines that you lettered this with a quill?

Pointed Italic letters and colour... Goache on Watercolour paper, having a look at the new upload size. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2008/69681-FirstSnow-800.jpg

InkyEss
08-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Beautiful... the whole thing is just beautiful. Lovely verse/haiku and the background fits well... as for your lettering, Quills, it is superb! :clap: :clap: :clap:

marie_d
08-20-2008, 04:57 AM
Lovely piece of work, I love the clean sharp strokes of your italic lettering. Its given me the inspiration to try something with a watercolour wash. I have never got around to applying background colour to a written piece of calligraphy because I have always spent the time on trying to learn the hand :D
I think with a bit more practise I will be ready to try it.....

quills
08-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Thank you all for taking time to look and comment

Ye Kim It is written with a Quill though I do use and have many hundreds of Metal nibs.

azulparsnip I'm sure I have seen your work with my other painters hat on.
Shaz: I thought you may like the haiku.
Marie: Happy to stimulate you, background first then letters.

Now the critical bit....

The E and h in do not slope enough... many of the minuscule o's are to pointed,
The O in off the slope is incorrect... some of the descenders are to long... I could go on.

That's calligraphy no piece will ever be perfect, book examples have often been tweaked to be perfect, you aspire to those but never achieve it.
The differences give your work life from you.

You have to study and each letter its relation to the next letter and previous letter, the suitability of the letter form for the word, several letters can be different according to where they are in a word or line.

And always keep flourishes and ornamentation to a minimum.
Good letters stand on there own terms.

A written piece never fails, It is what it Is.

Hiraeth
08-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Well said! We aspire to perfection but it is elusive and impossible to capture. I especially love the last line--"A written piece never fails, It is what it Is."

I will be lettering that for myself! :cat:

That's calligraphy no piece will ever be perfect, book examples have often been tweaked to be perfect, you aspire to those but never achieve it.
The differences give your work life from you.

You have to study and each letter its relation to the next letter and previous letter, the suitability of the letter form for the word, several letters can be different according to where they are in a word or line.

And always keep flourishes and ornamentation to a minimum.
Good letters stand on there own terms.

A written piece never fails, It is what it Is.