PDA

View Full Version : Letter of the Week 'E'

Hiraeth
08-19-2008, 08:00 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2008/144882-Letter_of_the_Week_E.JPG

quills
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Clever design Kim love the blue... are you left handed ?

Hiraeth
08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
... are you left handed ?

No, I'm right-handed. I'm curious; why do you ask?

azulparsnip
08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Kim, nice hand in the borders, I like those g's

Hiraeth
08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Thanks! I had to come up with a 'g' that would fit in the tight space and still retain a certain 'g-ness.'

Kim, nice hand in the borders, I like those g's

InkyEss
08-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Lovely, Kim, very neat. :thumbsup: I really like the design and the way you have mounted it is just right.

I just have to ask... is there such a bird as a cat bird?

Hiraeth
08-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Yep! Catbird (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Catbird)
Lovely, Kim, very neat. :thumbsup: I really like the design and the way you have mounted it is just right.

I just have to ask... is there such a bird as a cat bird?

InkyEss
08-20-2008, 04:40 AM
I looked it up on the internet and I'm astonished to find there is such a bird! :) That's something else I've learned here at WetCanvas!

I hope I have got the right idea with this thread... that others can post a project?

Just practising still and I know I have an awful long way to go, but I really enjoyed doing this.

Ink on smooth watercolour paper 8" x 11" (green letter and leaves added with watercolour pencil).

marie_d
08-20-2008, 05:10 AM
Kim...nice clean colourful work. I love those blues, do you apply the colour yourself Kim or are they mounts (I think they call them mats in USA). I was intrigued with the catbird as well, I had never heard of it until Sharon looked it up.

Sharon...thank you for the Sherlock Holmes bit (catbird) :D Yes you have got the right idea, as long as you follow the letter for the week. You have a good set up there of 'E's' with your project, very clever twining the letters around the vines.

Hiraeth
08-20-2008, 07:28 AM
Hi Sharon! Yes! All the letter threads are an invitation to share a piece--a fun little show and tell. You can share a piece you finished years ago, a single letter, a practice sheet of the letters--whatever you like! The idea is to generate some conversation and some show and tell.

I have already learned a great deal from observing others' work and reading what they have to say about how they accomplished it!

I really like your piece. In fact, it has inspired me to look a little deeper to select my Alphabet subjects in the future. Maybe I don't have to stick to nouns. . .:wink2:

(Glad you checked out the catbird link. Did you know there is also a cowbird (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowbird)? If you have a minute, check out the cowbird--they are brood parasitic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brood_parasite)--very interesting birds.)

I looked it up on the internet and I'm astonished to find there is such a bird! :) That's something else I've learned here at WetCanvas!

I hope I have got the right idea with this thread... that others can post a project?

Just practising still and I know I have an awful long way to go, but I really enjoyed doing this.

Ink on smooth watercolour paper 8" x 11" (green letter and leaves added with watercolour pencil).

Hiraeth
08-20-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi Marie!

I've mounted all my letters on card stock. I have a sideline in my calligraphy business lettering custom bookmarks and they are mounted on cardstock, then laminated, so I've got all SORTS of paper from which to chose!

Kim...nice clean colourful work. I love those blues, do you apply the colour yourself Kim or are they mounts (I think they call them mats in USA). I was intrigued with the catbird as well, I had never heard of it until Sharon looked it up.

Sharon...thank you for the Sherlock Holmes bit (catbird) :D Yes you have got the right idea, as long as you follow the letter for the week. You have a good set up there of 'E's' with your project, very clever twining the letters around the vines.

quills
08-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Kim:- No, I'm right-handed. I'm curious; why do you ask?
I hesitate to criticise more of an observation...
I have noticed you have a tendency to slope your minuscule letters to the left.

Still good lettering Kim :thumbsup:

Hiraeth
08-20-2008, 02:23 PM
That is an accurate observation and I've noticed myself that it is even more noticeable when turned on it's side, as in these letters.

When I first began, I developed a bad habit of turning my page slightly when lettering and I still struggle with that bad habit all these years later.

You have not hurt my feelings! You have served to make me even more aware of one of my problem areas. Please feel free to critique as you see the need!

I hesitate to criticise more of an observation...
I have noticed you have a tendency to slope your minuscule letters to the left.

Still good lettering Kim :thumbsup:

quills
08-20-2008, 02:57 PM
:wave: :thumbsup:

marie_d
08-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Been practising 'roundhand' to-day, never done it before. This quote starts with the letter 'e', so this is my work for this week.

Daler rowney ingres pastel paper, pilot parallel pen size 2.4mm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2008/102905-experience.jpg

InkyEss
08-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Now that is real neat, Marie and I like the way you've set it out. :thumbsup:

azulparsnip
08-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Sharon - delightful green E page, fun to look at. Maybe I'll copy you whole page idea. We have cat birds here in North Carolina. Their sound is quite cat like. They are all grey and sized like a cardinal, and like a cardinal they have a pointed triangle tuft on head.

Sliding in with my E's, -- excited about getting to the F, THIS IS FUN

I am beginning to work toward a henna artist certification....hence the paisley etc influence.

Hiraeth
08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
It IS fun, isn't it?

I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's work. Each person has a distinctive style and I love getting to know how each one works!

Your e's, influenced by your training as a henna artist, are very pretty and so different from anything I've ever tried myself. They inspire me!

Sharon - delightful green E page, fun to look at. Maybe I'll copy you whole page idea. We have cat birds here in North Carolina. Their sound is quite cat like. They are all grey and sized like a cardinal, and like a cardinal they have a pointed triangle tuft on head.

Sliding in with my E's, -- excited about getting to the F, THIS IS FUN

I am beginning to work toward a henna artist certification....hence the paisley etc influence.

Hiraeth
08-25-2008, 08:49 AM
You've never done roundhand before this? It's fabulous. I can tell you have a trained eye and trained hand.

Been practising 'roundhand' to-day, never done it before. This quote starts with the letter 'e', so this is my work for this week.

Daler rowney ingres pastel paper, pilot parallel pen size 2.4mm.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2008/102905-experience.jpg

quills
08-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Super ideas from everyone bringing out the E's as Kim says a joy to view all the work. :clap:

marie_d
08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Azul...love the design on the first e. The little tassle bits set off the designs.

Kim...Its the first time I have tried roundhand. I have had a dabble with uncial, gothic, and I am learning copperplate which I like very much, next is italics. I quite like lombardic letters as well.

Everyone...I am so glad there has at last been some interest shown in this forum. I am really enjoying these weekly threads. Thanks Kim for your enthusiasm and giving us a push :D Thumbs up to every one who's participating :clap: