PDA

View Full Version : Setting goals.

Hugsy25
08-17-2008, 04:55 PM
So I really want to start doing more art. So I'm thinking it would be a good idea to start setting goals for myself.

I've always wanted to submitt something to the Pastel Journals competition... maybe one of my goals should be to do that... lets say for the 2010 dead line... Since I'll have to account for taking care of an infant soon. Luckily I have a very considerate husband who will let me have time to do my art.

Now I'll have to think of some otherr goals... I wonder if there are any art competitions closer to home?

Hugsy25
08-17-2008, 05:03 PM
oops notice I put this in the wrong spot... anyone know how to move it to the pastel talk forum??

Kathryn Wilson
08-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Yep, just ask a Moderator to move it by clicking on the red and white triangle in the blue bar above your name on the right. Our magic fingers will transfer it wherever you want.

Colorix
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi Phyllis, goalsetting is a great way to fulfill your dreams! If you know where you're going, you get there, or nearby, at least. :-D

A goal can be reached way quicker than one thinks, too.

A good goal would be to do some art every day, even if it is only a quick pencil sketch in 5 minutes.

Good luck, and may you reach your goals!

Charlie

DAK723
08-18-2008, 01:01 AM
Lots of local communities have art clubs that either have their own shows (some of which may be juried, some which may not) and also may have information on local or regional shows. This is where I would start, rather than a national competition. Competitions, it seems to me, are not a goal that I would set because the outcome is totally in the judgment of someone else. Painting for competitions will also, in my opinion, make it more likely to paint what one already knows. Joining a local art club was a goal I set a couple years ago, and it is a good experience to be involved and get some input and inspiration from your fellow artists. (That is why we love WC!)

In my opinion, goals should be something that makes you grow as an artist - such as a goal of painting or drawing at least so many hours a day or week. A goal of trying something new, if you paint landscapes, but have never done portraits - make painting a portrait your goal, for example. Taking a class, trying a new medium, working plein air, working from a live model, etc....I think you get the idea. Ultimately, the goal is to produce the finest art you can and continue to learn.

Don

pastel lover
08-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Hi Phyllis,

I have two suggestions for goal setting. One - keep a sketch book going continuously, drawing or painting in it for 5 to 30 mins. everyday. The goal is to develop the discipline to do it every day! Two is to complete a series of paintings, say between 3 to 10 paintings on the same subject... maybe the infant you spoke of? Hope you can use these, they help me.

Tanja

Deborah Secor
08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, as a mom I suspect you'll have some very immediate non-art goals! Those are most important, of course. Trust me, if you love to draw and paint you'll continue doing it, and it sounds like your husband is supportive in this way. :thumbsup:

For the first two years of my son's life I found that I was pretty taken up with caring for him. I did a lot of what people here have suggested, keeping a sketch book and setting aside a little time every week to try to paint (which was marginally successful.) I developed what came to be known as "nap-sized" paintings, which were small enough that I could virtually complete them during his afternoon nap.

During his third year I needed the input of other artists in my life and started by taking a week-long workshop, then decided to begin the Pastel Society of New Mexico so I could have an excuse to get together with people every month! I had no idea where things would take me, I just knew that I loved painting and kept at it.

I wrote an article about moms who are artists, and interviewed Kim Lordier about how she was handling things. In fact, the article was her suggestion... so you might look that up sometime and see what other moms had to say and how they organized goals.

Have fun! Being a mom is the BEST! :D

Deborah

Studio-1-F
08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
In my opinion, goals should be something that makes you grow as an artist - such as a goal of painting or drawing at least so many hours a day or week. A goal of trying something new, ....I think you get the idea. Ultimately, the goal is to produce the finest art you can and continue to learn. Don
I agree with Don. I am doing this art stuff for myself, not for some strangers who are judging some local competition.

With regard to daily/weekly prods to do your art, if that's what you're looking for, you might want to check out the Weekly Scavenger Hunt, here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=336

There is also the Danny Gregory 'Every Day Matters' community of daily artists.

Jan

HarvestMoon
08-18-2008, 12:19 PM
that is a great idea- to set goals...I keep hearing that making a list of things like this is very very helpful...actually putting down on paper what you want is helpful in getting those things done...I need to do this too...

Hugsy25
08-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Well the art competition is something I always wanted to do for myself so I could say I did it. I wouldn't even care if I didn't win.. Just to say yeah I entered that LOL.

Right now my goals are:
To try to get in at least 2 hours of art in a day (at least until the baby comes... two hours every other day would be ideal for after but I won't hold my breath)
To actually study more about art...ie. books magazines.
For 2009 I want to take an art class with a local artist.
For 2010 I want to try to get the dead line for the pastel Journal.

I'm constantly going to try to add to my list of goals... Maybe start picking up the local art paper and see if there is anything I can do in there. Whether it's studying with an artist, joining a group, or submitting work.

Colorix
08-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Phyllis, I agree with you. A goal like entering a show is a mile-post, and it is the kind of overall goal that includes doing a lot of things to improve one's work, for oneself and one's own development. It is a two-year plan, eh?

And congrats to your having a baby!

Dougwas
08-18-2008, 05:19 PM
When setting goals, it is a good idea to set short term goals and long term goals. Short term goals can be things like "I will paint for at least one hour a day" and "I will read art books and magazines for at least one hour a day." Long term goals could be "I will enter an art competition by September 1, 2009."

The short term goals should be obtainable so you can reach them. You don't want to set yourself up for failure. Because they are weekly goals, you can reset them if you see it is not possible to reach them. Short term goals can put you on a path to reach your long term goals.

Goals should also be put in writing. We used to have a monthly goal setting thread here hosted by Piper. It was quite helpful.

OK. I confess. The above info is from a past life of management seminars and other left brained activities. I pulled this info from somewhere in my brain and now I have a headache. I just thought I would pop in here and share a little info.

I think I will go paint now.:D

Doug

Colorix
08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Doug, put that info back, so the headache goes away! :-D

Hugsy25
08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks Doug and Charlie. Great Advice... sorry it gave you a headache Doug LOL. I can't wait to put my goals into writing and start making some headway.... off to paint too!!!

Colorix
08-18-2008, 06:20 PM
Doug, put that info back, so the headache goes away! :-D

Maggie P
08-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Lots of great advice here. When you write down your goals, you also can eventually have the satisfaction of marking them off as "DONE!"

The other thing I think is important is to keep setting new goals as you achieve others. It really helps me stay motivated!

ElsieH
08-21-2008, 02:51 PM
:wave:
When I retired from teaching, three years ago, I wanted having more time for art to be a big part of what I was going to do with "the rest of my life"!

I had never regretted going into teaching (elementary) instead of art. But, along the way...that motherhood and career thing...art became sketching while the kids were not active and when not preparing to teach.
I always wished that I had been able to study art more formally.

So while I did not jump back into college to major in art, I did take several avenues to accomplishing much the same thing for myself:
Reading/studying art books/how to, and also books of art prints, museum going etc.
Investing in some DVD's by some of the artist/teachers I most admired.
Investing in art materials.
Setting up a small, but nice studio.
Alot myself time to study, time to paint.

But, beyond these steps, I found that Julia Camron's "Artist's Way" writings as very helpful. One of her suggestions is taking time to write three pages of brain-dump each morning before starting things. This is where I get my "marching orders" for the day and formulation of next steps and goals.

Also......I give myself permission to not fulfill a goal today....it's ok not to paint for that hour on any one day:wink2:

When I get stuck and doubt, I find consulting the "Great Creator", greatest of all Artists, and I find my needs are met! :heart:

Hugsy25
08-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks Elsie great advice.
Yeah I've been trying to not be hard on myself if I just didn't get around to painting on any given day. Sometimes it's hard to get motivated... other times I'm just caught up in some silly computer game....LOL I've been doing good though! Four completed paintings for August so far!! and started my 5th!