PDA

View Full Version : A Different Perspective - for C and C please

arl
08-17-2008, 12:58 PM
This work is painted on 10 by 12 inch gallery wrapped canvas. It is based on a wonderful image in the RIL; thank you ArtistGary. I have attached an image of the original photo also. The sun was from the left and the edges of the rocks on the form shadow sides were hard against the light water. I slightly blurred these edges except for my focal area. The darker shadow on the left IMO is a cast shadow coming from another rock not in the photo. My initial impression was that the top of the photo was sky but with a closer look I could see at the top of the photo, harder edges that would be more likely in water. I decided the upper part of the photo was water and not sky. It was all a dark blue but I slightly lightened the back of the water/top of the painting a bit to provide some atmospheric perspective and depth. Even though the edge of the cast shadow on the left rock was hard, do you think I should lighten the edge? Initially I was concerned about putting the dark value of the cast shadow close to the canvas edge but I liked it. I find the white drops on the upper left now a bit distracting so I am thinking of lightening the blue. I put some purple in the form and cast shadows but just a tad as I was concerned about the close bottom canvas edge. I also put some yellow on the light side of the rocks. There were so many nuances to this photo, i.e. the waterfall on the right and the “explosion” of water on the left and I really enjoyed painting it. One reason I made the title “A Different Perspective” was because of these nuances and the number of ways one could interpret this wonderful photo. The other reason for the title was because I painted the image with a damaged dominant right hand and arm (not due to my cancer/meds). I will be receiving treatment/series of injections on my arm and a splint will be made for it. I am not able to get out much because of my meds so I really wanted to say how much I appreciate the help and advice everyone has always given me. Any advice on this painting is also greatly appreciated. My plans are to continue to paint. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/114108-A_different_perspective.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/114108-explosion_by_ArtistGary.jpg

sonita
08-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I think the shadow areas on the rocks could be a tad deeper in color and the droplets of water in the air a bit more defined. Looking forward on an update :) Sending you lots of good thoughts and energy....hope you feel better soon!
Soni

lilbelle
08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree that going darker with the shadows and lighter with the water spray where it meets the shadowed area would give it more depth and impact. Great start!

Bizkit
08-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Ok, I gotta admit it, when I first opened this I thought I was a snow scene. It wasnt until I scrolled down and saw the reference photo that I realized it was sea scape. If your going for that sea scape effect add some greens...then when you have that done load up some white paint on your brush and take your painting somewhere you wont mind getting some paint on something cause I want you to litterally fling white paint on the painting. Yup, stand back and let 'er rip...that will give you that foam effect instead of the light fluffy effect you get from a brush mark, and I think you'll love the outcome!!!!!

Charlie's Mum
08-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Arlene, spattering is definitely what you need for the foam and droplets!
As it's a small canvas though, I'd suggest using an old toothbrush - or any other bristle type brush - and draw a ruler across the surface to fling the paint off ........ or your thumb!
But do make sure everywhere is well protected!
Lighter spattering over the water and darker in the white foam below.
I'd also go with the darkening of the shadows - a higher contrast to give the feeling of strong sunlight.

MRSBB
08-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi Arlene. Your off to a nice start on your sea scape. I've painted lakes and streams but don't think I've tried to tackle the sea yet. You have gotten some good critiques. I'm sorry to hear of your health problems and hope you feel better real soon. Keep having fun with your art.......Lenore

~~Kathleen
08-17-2008, 11:54 PM
re spattering....
One tool I would never be without is my
denture brush! (Not my personal one LOL)
I bought one specifically for painting.
It has two sides to the bristles, and different firmness' to them.
Works just beautifully for splatters!
You have received wonderful advise, and I look forward to seeing
where you go with this!
~~Kathleen

edtree
08-18-2008, 05:56 AM
:wave: Hi Arlene!

I'm really liking this! I agree with the darkening of the shadows. It will give the scene so much more drama. I actually paint a corner or two darker on purpose in many of my paintings...especially nature scenes. Don't be afraid of those dark darks!

I think the splattering would be a good choice too for the water spray and as a bonus, it sounds like fun too! I've never tried it myself. Before you do that though, I would suggest you glaze the water areas under the spray with a green - that is, green leaning toward turquoise. Your water color, the way it's showing up on my screen, is too blue.

Sorry to hear about your health problem :( but glad to hear you are continuing to paint anyway. Just as a side note, when I was going through serious health problems last year, I produced some of my best work. I really do think that there is a greater connection between soul and brush when we are unwell. When we are truly expressing what's inside, it is seen and felt by others who are connecting with you and the work on an emotional level. Although it is so very awful to have to go through these kinds of trials, this, to me, is the silver lining, along with the therapeutic benefits of the painting process itself. I'm sending positive healing thoughts your way.:heart:

Elizabeth

arl
08-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks for all the help and advice. I will continue to work on it.