PDA

View Full Version : Before I sign it......

~~Kathleen
08-17-2008, 03:27 AM
....Input is needed here
I am having a bit of a problem with the flower, I want to highlight the staemans a bit more, and don't know how to do this....any ideas.
As well a good round of comments/critiques are welcome please.
Go ahead, you all know I can take it!:lol:
~~Kathleen
Close-up of flower....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2008/92567-close-up_flower.JPG
"Papaya"
Acrylic on canvas
16" X 20"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2008/92567-papaya7.jpg

Bright Eyes
08-17-2008, 05:47 AM
I think adding a little of the bright green from the leaf underneath the flower to the middle of the flower would make it pop just a bit more and having some light green highlights on the flower will tie it into the big leaf behind it just a bit giving the illusion that the flower is a lot bigger than it is. Hope this helps.

SilverLady
08-17-2008, 06:28 AM
I love your painting. It is done very well.

If you put shadows at the base of the flower the stamen will show up better.

Good luck.

SilverLady

edtree
08-17-2008, 09:47 AM
:wave: WoW Kathleen! First of all I have to say, your study of green is REALLY paying off. Awesome variations. Beautiful work on the background too!

As for the stamen...I think it's standing out quite nicely already. Maybe add a couple more of them though. Did your reference flower only have one?

Great work! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

Artchrispy
08-17-2008, 09:52 AM
Hey Kathleen. That looks like a tough flower to paint. Nice work. The leaves are also well done.

arl
08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
I really loved it.

~~Kathleen
08-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Thank-you all for your input on this painting.
Brighteyes & Silverlady.... Actually, while it is not obvious here, the flower is actually a very pale green already:lol:.
I am going to have to revisit this flower and highlight it a bit more.
Thanks so much.
Elizabeth....There are actually five staemens in the middle of the flower, the long thingie is the stem of the whole bud/flower group.
I may just remove it, and rework the colours of the flower as is already suggested. Yes, I have learned a lot about greens/glazing and highlighting colours with glazing recently.
This has opened up a completely new world of colour for me.
Artchrispy.... I found the flower on the web, and it was/is so beautiful, I had to include it.
here is the reference pic.
~~Kathleen
who is back to the Easel to rework it!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/92567-flower_for_posting.JPG

HOllyLL
08-17-2008, 10:56 AM
I hope you dont' mind but I cropped a bit (not sure if this is an option) and added some depth to the flower...it's a great piece, I'm sure you'll get it just as you like it!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/95500-92567-papaya7_change.jpg

~~Kathleen
08-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Of course I don't mind Holly, I did ask for critiques, and I meant it.
Actually, cropping is not an option at this point though.
I see where you are coming with the flower shading though.
Good idea!
~~Kathleen

Lady Carol
08-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Holly's changes make sense. It defines the stamens which were not very well defined from what I can see from this side of the continent. :D If you look at the ref there is much more shading. And colour helps to define white, believe it or not. I was not very successful at painting a white flower, so I think you are very brave.

OkeeKat
08-17-2008, 01:23 PM
This looks wonderful Kathleen!! I love all the green tones! its gorgeous,
I'm thinking more darker tone of green inside the flower to help make the yellowish green round center pop out more. I'm probably not much help.
I love it, your doing great!!

mpattie
08-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Kathleen, this is beautiful. I agree, some shading will really help as well as some shadowing under the flower will pop the flower. Love all the glazing.
Pat

sonita
08-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Wonderful green shades Kathleen and great leaves. I think you got some good advice already....well, I couldn't give you any anyways cause flowers is out of my comfort zone :) Looking forward to see the final version
Soni

~~Kathleen
08-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks all that dropped in later, I will address each of you in a wee bit!:wink2:
Okay, I removed the stem, as it was really interfering with the flower and the flower buds behind.
I highlighted the staemens and added some shading to the petals, I think that the flower is now more realistic.
This photo is very red, but as it shows the variences in colour, I left it as it was.
Know what?
I think I am actually learning something here!:eek:
(That could be very scary!)
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/92567-papaya8.jpg

AMuse
08-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Beautiful Kathleen... I still think you could add more shadow to the underside of the "round bit" under the stamens to make it stand out a bit more.

you have done a wonderful job!

Linee
08-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Looking beautiful. I agree with Kathy. Just a tad more shadow where she mentioned.

gaykir
08-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Kathleen - Here I go again- sheeesh! I think you need to keep in mind that there is a ball in the center with the stamens on top - treat that portion underneath as it were a beach ball. I have taken the liberty of playing with your reference for you. The ball needs to be shaded to give it a round form and it is darker than the little sticky outy stamens. Does this help some??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/56079-flower.jpg

~~Kathleen
08-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Okay, without turning the flower black:eek:... I have gone this far.
It seems to show the :Ball" atop and the staemens better.
I have added a wee bit more shadowing to the leaves.
thankfully the background is dark enough that the flower still shows as white! :wink2: (Thanks Gayle, I must learn how to do the greyscale thing some day)
How is it now?
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/92567-untitled.JPG

~~Kathleen
08-17-2008, 03:06 PM
How it looks now....I think I have to thicken the staemens a bit now!
~~Kathleen
(Anything else need fixing?;))
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/92567-papaya9.jpg

gaykir
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Kathleen - Bravo. Your flower has much more form now. Your little ball is round instead of flat. If you thicken the stamens do it little by little as it will be easy to overdo them I think. The added shading works too. I admire you for just keeping at it. You always manage to work everything out. Sometimes it just takes some other eyes.........

AMuse
08-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Yay Kathleen!

asnowfall
08-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Excellent painting, gives an impression that it falling down in an abyss. Colors are soothing.

Ramesh

Mz_Sketch_Pad
08-17-2008, 08:32 PM
i love this- the texture- the thickness of the paint !WOW!

mpattie
08-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Kathleen, you nailed it now. Beautiful. IMHO quit piddling and sign it.
Pat

MRSBB
08-17-2008, 09:48 PM
I agree with Pat ^^^. Sign it and frame it. This is such a nice flower and I like the background for it. Nice work. Keep having fun...........Lenore

~~Kathleen
08-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Thank-you so much everyone for your input and advise!
I knew that I could rely on all of you for good honest critiquing re improvements.
This is what is so wonderful about this forum. "We have Many Eyes.":clap:
We are always here for each other when we have a problem and don't know how to address it!

The honesty and integrity of the posters here is sublime!
Take a bow everyone!
~~With thanks....
~~Kathleen
Who just signed it.

Foxyheart2002
08-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Kathleen, I think you need a bit of shadows. There will be some on the underside of the stems, under the leaves that cross the stems and the underparts of the flower, including the stamen. Right now it is somewhat one dimensional, it needs some shadows to bring some items to the forefront while pushing others back.

~~Kathleen
08-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Hi Foxy, thanks for your comments.
I understand what you are saying totally.
The one dimensional of the leaves is intentional.
That is why there are no shadows.
I am doing a series of "Botanical type" paintings, and the only dimension is in the flower that the plant/tree produces.
See the first painting here....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6984635#post6984635
I cannot get a photo of both the completed paintings because of Flash back from my camera to show you.
I do appreciate your comments, and please, always feel free to comment on anything I present here.
With any other painting I would sincerely take your suggestions to heart!:).
~~Kathleen

Foxyheart2002
08-18-2008, 01:00 AM
:)

edtree
08-18-2008, 06:02 AM
:wave: Beautiful, beautiful finish on this Kathleen! The flower's center makes so much more sense now. It is such an exquisite focal amongst your gorgeous greens and I LOVE those darling roots! :thumbsup: :clap:

Elizabeth

Ms.Understood
08-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Kathleen--Wow, I love what you had, but you really made it 3-d with all those shifts in shades and additions!

Awesome job!!!

debee
08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Pushing the shadows really helped this. Nice finish!

sonita
08-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Love what you have done with the center of the flower...looks really like a little ball :) Way to go Kathleen!!
Soni

RPut
08-19-2008, 01:04 AM
There you go! You did a great job. I'm glad you kept at it! Ruthie

~~Kathleen
08-19-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks everyone..Ruthie, Soni, Debee, Jenny, and Elizabeth!
(Hope I did not forget anyone, because I love you all)
The little ball in the middle of the flower is what eventually grows into the Papaya fruit so the shape of it was important.
I do have to thank Gayle for the gray-scale photo. That really helped me a lot.
I have come to realize, that at my age, asking for help is a smart thing to do!
And asking for help here is actually a wonderful thing to do!
Heres to all of you!:clap:
~~Kathleen

susme48
08-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Bravo, my friend, bravo!!

HOllyLL
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
perfect changes! I KNEW you'd get it right!

LavenderFrost
08-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Nice work Kathleen!