PDA

View Full Version : Second Still Life Attempt WIP

Alboin
08-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Hello,

I've started another still life, hopefully taking into account what I learned last time.

I've focused mainly on the pepper to begin, and I'll start to get more details on the vase tomorrow possibly.

What do you think thus far? Suggestions?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2008/150917-pict0337.jpg

Use Her Name
08-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Is it that dull or is it out of focus. I like the pepper. It looks very accurate. The bottle is nice too. Look at the table. Are there any of those nice water shadows? I think when a person sets up a still life, artificial light (or studio settings) are easier to control than natural lighting.

Alboin
08-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Is it that dull or is it out of focus. Camera issues. No scanner. Out of focus.

Are there any of those nice water shadows I'm afraid the vase is empty. Do you think I should move the shadows to the right instead of towards the viewer? I think if they were to the right, they wouldn't be as defined and would blend together...

Lady Carol
08-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Actually I like this. I think it is good conceptually. What is not appealing is the outline around the vase. Keep at it, you will get there. :wave:

Alboin
08-16-2008, 11:20 PM
What is not appealing is the outline around the vase That's just a temporary thing I was using to shape the vase a bit. I haven't done the background yet. :) (I do, however, that I will be keeping a dark purple border around the scene. I quite like how it provides a more 'defined' feel.)

Bizkit
08-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Nice painting, bad Picture........!!

Margaret 59
08-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Coming along nicely, I'm sure you'll do a good job.

amotwell
08-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Looks great! Only thing I would say is to not worry if the vase looks like it has water in it or not. Just paint what you see, the abstract shapes, and the rest will take care of itself.

edtree
08-17-2008, 09:00 AM
:wave: I like it! The pepper looks just like a pepper. Great shape, colors and highlights and shadows on it. I like the vase too - the shape is well formed, nice reflections and sense of light. It will be interesting to see what you do with the background as I would have to agree with Carol about the halo effect. As for your shadows coming forward, personally, I wouldn't change it. Right now, they are there, but not readily apparent, which to me is as they should be. I think I will like the outline as well at least from what I can tell so far. I'm looking forward to your update! :D

Elizabeth

LavenderFrost
08-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Looking good, though I would have done the background first. I find it hard to paint around things without it looking like I painted around, if that makes sense.

Linee
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
This looks like it's working out nicely. Keep up what you're doing. :)

HOllyLL
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
that pepper looks superb!

bchlvr
08-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Coming along well!