PDA

View Full Version : The Sculler

Yikes_Scoobie
08-16-2008, 05:11 PM
I've been trying acrylics for a while - at first finding them quite awkward after learning with watercolours, but I'm starting to enjoy the medium now. Here's my attempt at an oarsman rowing on the water in the morning light.

System 3 Acrylics
Burnt Umber
Mars Black
Lemon Yellow
Titanium White
Painted on System 3 A4 size acrylic paper

sonita
08-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Very neat...great movement in the water and I also like how the morning sun hits the water :)
Soni

Yikes_Scoobie
08-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks Sonita - I'd like to try and repaint this at a later stage on a bigger canvas area to get a little more detail in the circled puddles from the oars which I think are a weakness of the painting - however I like the way I managed to get the light on the water working - I've been having trouble for a while blending the acrylics effectively to my liking but I think I'm starting to find a method that works for me - I need to practice and improve now.

AMuse
08-16-2008, 05:55 PM
I think this is very well done.

:)

yup it's a big curve switching from watercolour to acrylics, but it sure is fun!

mpattie
08-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I really like this. The colors and the simplicity of it are very attractive. Very well done.
Pat

gaykir
08-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Love the colors. I wish your signature was smaller. I find it competes with your painting a bit.

birdhs
08-16-2008, 10:33 PM
This just took my breath away, the pallette choice is so unusual. Very appealing. Thanx 4 posting, it pleaseth thine eyes.:thumbsup:

Lady Carol
08-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Really, really nice.

Margaret 59
08-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Our two sons rowed for a few years and this brings back memories, plus we've been enjoying watching it in Bejing on T.V. Very nice painting!

edtree
08-17-2008, 08:50 AM
:wave: WoW! I really like this too! The light on our right side is awesome and the circles of movement in the water from the oars is so well done. Nice placement and rendering too of the figure and boat. Looks as if you are taking to acrylics quite well. This will make an outstanding bigger work! :D

Elizabeth

arl
08-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Wonderful work. I loved the colours and the way you depicted the figure and the waves in the water from the oars.

Yikes_Scoobie
08-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks all for your encouraging comments, much appreciated. Yeah, about getting used to acrylics, I'm getting used to them now and enjoying them - I find them so different to watercolours, I think I'm starting to find now that I definitely feel so subjects are better suited to the acrylic medium and some better to water colour, for me it all depends on the mood or atmosphere I want to convey in a painting, I can deal better with some subjects better with one medium than the other.

dreamz
08-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I really like this alot!

asnowfall
08-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Excellent, unusual shades of yellow and violet to depict movement.

birdhs
08-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Double-dipping! I just caught the very beginning of the Eights, female finals scullers this evening at the Oympics, and immediately thought of your painting. That moment when they all start is just magical, reminds me of the times we would see the college crews out on Onadaga Lake in Syracuse very early in the mornings. You have captured these moments so well. Thanx 4 posting, it pleaseth thine eyes.:o

~~Kathleen
08-17-2008, 11:59 PM
A true sportsman is always out at the crack of dawn practicing.
The colours here are just wonderful!
I love this!
~~Kathleen