PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic - a new adventure

Bilberry
08-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I started painting two years ago using mainly watercolour or gouache. Trying to find my own style was difficult and I didn't feel that watercolour expressed my personality. Now I've bought some acrylic paints - it was love at first sight. Here is my first picture which is based on Lewis Carroll's poem Jabberwocky. The original is 20inches by 16 inches. The paints are Reeves which have quite a sheen compared with the W&N Galeria paints used for the second picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2008/108690-Jabberwocky.jpg

Picture number two (the same size as the first) is an experiment following the idea of creating a series based on the idea of Fantastical Creatures of Lakeland England. I wanted it to have impact and I think that I've succeeded with that anyway.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2008/108690-Fantastical_Creatures.jpg

Its a bit of fun and given time I hope to have a collection of more mature pictures to sell through a local gallery. Future pictures will have more subdued backgrounds, I think, so that the work has more depth.

OkeeKat
08-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Quite unique but very intersting, Fantasy like! Well done!!

TerratheGray
08-16-2008, 03:43 PM
I love it! Reminds me of the movie Fantastic Planit! Otherwordly and a little comical all at once :)

edtree
08-17-2008, 07:48 AM
:wave: Hi Bilberry!

I definitely see a unique style emerging in these and already, I see an improvement in composition from the first to the second. Those pink objects/beings in #2 tend to automatically push the background in to the distance; there's also some nice shadows and interesting details. It will be fun to watch you develop your style and techniques in acrylics! :D

Elizabeth

LavenderFrost
08-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Very creative!

Charlie's Mum
08-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Lol - these are fun Robert ... there's some very creative painting, particularly in the first one.