PDA

View Full Version : All About Ampersand Aquabord

HarvestMoon
08-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I have to say I am totally and absolutely in LOVE with Aquabord (the great board mounted surface formerly known as Claybord Textured).... and thought that perhaps we could gather together here to discuss what we like or don't like about it....so far I don't know much that I don't like about it. And perhaps some tips.

You can frame your paintings much cheaper. The reason is that it is a stiff, fairly thick white textured board that can be popped straight into a oil-type painting frame. No glass is needed. No matting is needed. Yes, the aquabord is more expensive than paper, but you make up for that in framing, and the resulting COLORS from your work shines through.

No glass means your work can be seen in all it's richness of color- no glare- and no broken glass if someone knocks your painting off the wall either.

I have used Aquabord with gouache, fluid acrylics, and a bit with watercolor. The only difference I really find in the surface is that perhaps the paint and water dries up a bit quicker.

Colors can be lifted off of the surface very easily. In fact, I stuck an entire bord under the facet and pretty much washed and rubbed off most of the paint and was able to use the bord again with gouache.

I spray the finished surface with krylon clear acrylic. I found out that you need to spray a finish on when there is NO humidity in the air or it can get cloudy. The cloudy stuff will eventually dry- or if you add MORE fixitive it seems to get better....so spray it outside when it is hot and dry (which it is here 364 days of the year- I chose that ONE humid day the other day to spray- oops).

I love the fact that the bords are perfectly flat. No amount of water is going to make your painting wrinkle or whatever. No stretching is needed.

Please feel free to add your tips....

Has anyone tried the SMOOTH bord that is intended for acrylics and oils with gouche? Jerry's store had a giant sale on it....

ok, so I guess I don't like the fact that I have a LOT of watercolor paper and now just want to paint on these bords....

bejause
08-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Hi Linda, I tried the aquaboard once and loved it as well. I have bought a couple more and am waiting till the right time to use them. The larger size is about 25.00 each here. That and the quick drying time (hard for large wet on wet areas ) are the only downfalls I experienced. Otherwise I agree with all of the good points you mentioned. I really understand what you mean about not wanting to use paper anymore!

HarvestMoon
08-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Pamela- our local Jerry's yesterday had a huge number of the panels- the museum sort- with edges you can paint on...the shallow ones- 12 X 12 were about $5.99 I think....they are not aquabord but the sort for oils and acrylics- I am going to try those though for that price....but they are made in Austin...I don't know if they ship them to their NC warehouse then back to Austin or if they go directly to Austin from Austin (which makes more sense to me with the gas thingy)

Carey Griffel
08-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Linda, these informative threads are so, well, informative! :D

I've never tried this surface myself, but now you've got me wondering about it. Thanks for the tips!

~!Carey

deb9654
08-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Linda, I'm loving the Aquabord too! And just started with the smoother Claybord and loving it as well. So far I've used them with watercolor, fluid acrylics and acrylic ink. I like all 3 and don't really have a favorite at this point. I've been using mostly the 5x7 or 6x6 but got some 12x12, some cradled, 9x12, 11x14, 18x24, and even a cradled 22x30! Haven't touched any of them yet except the 9x12.

I would suggest to be careful who you order the larger ones from. I've ordered them from Dick Blick and Jerry's. The ones from Dick Blick were packaged just fine but the last order from Jerry's was a mess. I ended up with a damaged cradled 22x30, cradled 12x12 and 18x24....over $50 worth. Jerry's customer service is not great. It took me 5 days to get it straightened out and that was only because when I called back, yet again, I pretended that I was placing an order so I could get a live person. It was more than frustrating. They finally credited me for the damaged ones and didn't want them back. They do need to be packaged securely with the corners protected.

I'm wanting to use them more than paper too! Thanks for the info on it clouding up with the humidity. I have several to be varnished but held off until I got some sealer...recommended on the Golden website (a wealth of info there). It just came yesterday so we'll see if I can do it this weekend or not. I'm in Hudson Valley in New York and humidity is our middle name so I may have to wait.

HarvestMoon
08-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks Carey- don't know if these have made it across the pond yet...

Deb- I have ordered a bunch from dickblick....they have all been fine- but it is funny because blick's really does not put any sort of padding in most of the time- they stick in a few air pillows....while the stuff I have gotten from jerry's has been packed well...but I never ordered the aquabords from them either....and boy do they stick you for shipping, so guess they can afford to pack well....if my husband sees another box from either arrive he will likely pop a gasket..... I have found the little sizes- the little packs that contain several- at Hobby Lobby too...the little ones are great for trying them out to see if you like them

I am happy to hear that you have had luck with the Claybord as well....

Starsprite
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Linda....as you know...I am working on a huge 22" x 30" Flat 3/8" panel Ampersand aquabord textured, Tuscany painting for my sister Debbi. I bought some Krylon Matte Finish to spray over it when done. Do I need to varnish it also after that?? If so, what kind??

Also, my main question is what do you attach to the back of the clayboard to hang it, if you don't want to frame it? It's a picture of a big open window looking out onto a Tuscany scene and I and I want it to look like it's a real window on her wall...so didn't want to use a frame.

Thanks!!

HarvestMoon
08-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Sprite- several coats of the Krylon Matte Finish should work like a charm....

I have never tried to hang it without a frame.....the folks at ampersand have been really helpful when I asked them questions.....why not email them for frameless framing tips? Don't know if those small screws would work that the framers use to attach the loops for a wire or not...or perhaps there is something clear that would clamp to each side somehow and allow a wire?

their email is:
[email protected]

Monastic Bat
08-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Linda,
You might look into adhering a “Saw Tooth” or some other hanger device to the back of the board with a two part epoxy adhesive. I would do a test on a scrap board first, to see if it will hold.

Regards,
Greg

HarvestMoon
08-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks Greg- that just might work for Sprite!

HarvestMoon
08-19-2008, 09:31 PM
The aquabord is for sure a much nicer surface for really wet media- I tried to use their value panel- the artist panel- that is really for oil and acrylics....and it is just a bit too smooth for my taste...using gouache that is- but it has a bit of texture and you can draw on it like a dream.

Ampersand has just updated their website....and I notice a section on framing tips- and some of the boards come with nail grooves in them Sprite- check yours....

They also have some neat sounding offers - sample packs to try various bords...

they are at:
http://ampersandart.com/

Starsprite
08-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Nope...no nail grooves and it's quite heavy..I think I would feel safer hanging it with 2 of the saw tooth devices.....I'll have to look for 2 part epoxy...never heard if it before.

I'll check out the Ampersand site too. I bought the sample pack of claybords, just to try them out...and the claybord tools for scratching into the clayboard. I tried them a little bit on this current piece,but you really can't tell... I was probably too light with them.

EDIT:
Now, from going to the site and reading, I think I should have chosen the cradled boards if I didn't want to frame it. I think I'm stuck framing it...which I think I can work out...if I can find a frame that big at Michaels..or maybe I can find one on line......hmmmmm.

HarvestMoon
08-20-2008, 09:02 AM
Sprite- try Hobby Lobby- they have the wooden frames on sale every other week or so for 50% off...if you get a simple looking one, it will look like a window- windows are framed right?

Starsprite
08-20-2008, 09:31 AM
What size of frame would I need fora 22 x 30 panel? That size or bigger??

HarvestMoon
08-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Sprite- I think the size goes by the picture size- so it would be 22 X 30 if you pop that baby directly into the frame (no matt)....then they have these thick staple like things that they shoot into the frame that hold the bord very securely- then they put a wire on the back...seriously cheap framing if you get the folks at hobby lobby to just tack it in and put on wire- and you pick out a 1/2 off frame

Starsprite
08-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Sprite- I think the size goes by the picture size- so it would be 22 X 30 if you pop that baby directly into the frame (no matt)....then they have these thick staple like things that they shoot into the frame that hold the bord very securely- then they put a wire on the back...seriously cheap framing if you get the folks at hobby lobby to just tack it in and put on wire- and you pick out a 1/2 off frame

OK thanks LInda!! Could you drive down here with me now and go too?!? LOL I think I can probably manage it.......just never sure on things I have not done before. I may even get a frame that is not painted and paint it the color of the window in my painting with the fluid acrylics I just got. Not sure how they would work on it though...

Nancy Goldman
12-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I just finished a watercolor on Aquabord and I loved working on it. I wasn't sure I would because I recently finished a painting on a piece on claybord that had been around here for years and I hated working on that. It was really hard to have any control over the paint and the paint wasn't liftable. Maybe that has changed with the newer claybord. Anyway, the Aquabord was fun to work on and the paint was completely liftable. The finished painting is so much more brilliant than a painting on paper. I will definitely use it again!

HarvestMoon
12-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi Nancy,

Claybord is a different surface and different Ampersand product....it is more for acrylics, gouache, etc. and is much smoother. Aquabord USED to be called TEXTURED CLAYBORD and the word texture makes all the difference! It makes it much better for watercolor, giving it a more watercolor paper surface.

I prefer aquabord for gouache too! I hate having paper wrinkle, and worse, spending a lot of money on glass for framing and having it be full of glare, or at my house, glass seems to break, even when on the wall.. (cats, log walls, don't ask)!

Nacre
12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I have been reading this thread with much interest as I have been experimenting with mixed watermedia for a while now and I have some old textured Claybord which I love but haven't yet tried acrylics on but intend to do so soon. So far I haven't tried the new Aquabord, so appreciate the info and tips here.
Also has anyone tried coloured pencil alone or with watercolour on the old textured or the new Aquabord ? I know it's not in the recommended media list .
I guess I should really ask that question in the coloured pencil forum:)

HarvestMoon
12-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Pearl, I believe the new Aquabord is exactly the same product as the old Textured Claybord...they just gave it a new name to make it easier for watermedia artists to know what to use!

I have not used watercolor pencils on it, but if you don't mind a rougher surface, they should be great! And they should go over watercolor on aquabord without a problem. I tend to like smoother surfaces for watercolor pencil, like hot-pressed paper...

Nacre
12-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Thank you Linda. I was thinking perhaps the 'new' Aquabord was a bit smoother that the 'old' , ,good to know it is the same.
I usually use a smooth surface for coloured pencil also but thought one could get some really good abstract textures with pencil alone or in combination with other media. I must experiment when I get a moment and will post the result when I do.

HarvestMoon
12-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Pearl - we would all love to see your results, and hope you are well!

Zenica
12-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Walmart sells those adhesive hooks for paintings that don't require any two part epoxy and hold up to 20lbs in some cases- it looks like a hook with a little strip on the back... if not there - go to a home improvement store or someplace similar - they sell the ones for the back of canvases as well as one that will sit it on the wall. The strips come off clean and will not damage the wall even if it has wallpaper on it. I use them all the time.

Z

Faafil
12-09-2009, 08:02 AM
I have never tried this surface - must get some with the next order :)

Pearl - nice to see you again ! :wave:

Bertoni
12-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Ampersand Aquabord has become my favorite surface for watercolor!!!
I paint a lot of animals/cats/dogs etc...and one of the things i like is being able to scratch in whiskers on a cat etc because of the clay makeup in the board! Great stuff!!!:thumbsup:

Nacre
12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Pearl - hope you are well!

Doing pretty good , thank you Linda :)

Mary Lou, :wave:

I am just getting back into art after a long dry spell and have discovered the fascination of watermedia so you will probably see me here occasionally :)

HarvestMoon
12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Bertoni- that is great to hear- your work is so wonderful!

Pearl- we all look forward to seeing more of you! (and I wish I had thought of that quote)!

I thought I would write what Aquabord says on the packaging:

Aquabord New name, always Claybord Textured

Archiva-Seal- Patented Sealing and Coating Technology for panels only by Ampersand

The Amazing Watercolor Surface! Crafted by hand in the USA (Austin, TX)

Absolutely Archival- This acid-free textured clay surface absorbs watercolors like a fine paper. Colors retain their purity and vibrance in a way that even the finest watercolor paper can never match.

Brilliant Color and Unmatched Techniques Get rich, luminous color and have complete control over your watercolors. Endlessly glaze and lift to underlying layers of color or back to white!

Frame without glass Watercolors on Aquabord can be sealed and displayed without glass, keeping colors and textures true to life. Superior hardboard backing will never tear, shrink, or buckle! Our panels are made from sustainable forest products that ensure the protection of wildlife, plants, soil, and water.

catjoe
01-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Has anyone sold any of their paintings done on Aquabord. What do the customers say about the new look? Anyone approached galleries or art shows with Aquabord paintings? I have several panels, and also a watercolor blocks and I am wondering which I should use most? Thanks!

HarvestMoon
01-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Catjoe- I have several paintings in a gallery that are gouache, on aquabord, with wooden frames (no glass or mats), and have sold two of them (in fact for a lot more than any I have sold that were under glass). Everyone seems to love the fact that there is no glare- that you can see the painting really well. I also entered several in an art show- they showed well in the frames

Nacre
01-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Linda ,what lovely and appealing paintings, no wonder people buy them .
One question though, do you spray any kind of protective coating on your Gouache paintings?

Faafil
01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Linda, your paintings look fabulous all framed up!! Good on you girl!! :clap:

Srishti
01-05-2010, 12:28 PM
:clap: Linda! Just saw this thread and I am going to add some aquaboard to my long pending dick blick ourder :clap: Thanks so much :heart: Sounds very interesting! :D

HarvestMoon
01-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Pearl- yes, I spray Krylon UV protective spray- several layers on top. Just to protect the surface from water, etc.

Mary Lou and Srishti- thanks a bunch! You really should try this- I love it! It is actually made in Austin- but they did not want me showing up on their doorstep shopping for it LOL...but Jerry's and Blick's has it too!

catjoe
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Linda, Thanks for the answer and I love the look of your paintings. I think I am going to do more on the Aquabord. I did a small 8 x 8 painting for a friend on three canvases...140 lb Arches CP, 140 lb Arches HP, and one on Aquabord. She chose the one on Aquabord as the one she liked best and that is the one we framed. Thanks again. kathy

ourcassidy!
01-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok. I am goingto have to go back to art supplies supportgroup if you all keep talking about this product! This sounds great! I love watercolor but hate that glare so sounds like this is a must. There is just one thing to keep on mind if you want to enter a watercolor painting insome competitons the painting would have to be declared mixedmedium. For most of us hereas we combine acrylics/watercolor etc we do that anyway. Ok off to go to the virtual dick block store...

SCrowe
01-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Does anyone know if this Aquaboard can be purchased anywhere in Canada?? (or something similar?) This board sounds GREAT!:thumbsup: I'd love to give it a try to see what i can come up with. :)

Shelley

HarvestMoon
01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Shelley- you can order it from dickblick.com and they ship to Canada. I would ask a local art store to get some in stock if you want to avoid the shipping/ import taxes though!

catjoe
01-18-2010, 12:21 PM
One thing I've noticed here in the states for those of you who might consider asking your local art store to order for you. I live near Philadelphia and was really excited when a Dick Blick store opened in the city. It is everything I could have hoped for...if you are an artist...it is like walking into heaven...even if it is basement store. It is huge, everything imaginable...with one catch. I thought it would save me money...no shipping fees, but the in-store prices are HIGHER!:( :( :( I was shocked. I didn't take their rent or overhead into account. It is easier for me to order through the catalog. The train ride in from NJ or the bridge toll and the extra high prices in-store...make the catalog a better bet.

HarvestMoon
01-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I thought it would save me money...no shipping fees, but the in-store prices are HIGHER!:( :( :( I was shocked. I didn't take their rent or overhead into account.

yes, sadly physical stores have to pay high retail rent costs, have to pay employees, have theft and damage to deal with, etc. But you get to see what the product looks like and make comparisons, that can save you money. (when I order things and don't like them I rarely send them back because of the hassle and shipping costs)....which is why so many physical retail stores are going out of business. I used to love Comp USA, then they shut down- people would walk in, ask the sales people questions for up to an hour or more, compare all the brands and try them out, then order over the internet from a different company.

So I try to buy things from my local art stores, even though they might be higher, and mostly order things they don't have. I just really appreciate being able to go there and see all the things, have a staff to answer my questions, get to see the demos in the stores, etc. We do not have a blicks, but we have a jerry's, and one remaining smaller store, and I am so thankful!

At any rate, the aquabord is worth keeping in your shopping cart wherever you can find it! I buy the big pieces when I go to the physical jerrys store.

Srishti
01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I would have liked if they made larger aquabord pieces with cradles too... I really want to move towards framing without frame... I really like that look, but the largest aquabord that has a cradle is 16x20!
Also I would like to be independent of standard sizes (like a 11x14 ot 16x20) and have my artwork be any odd size depending on the composition.... Is there a easy way to be able to cut the aquabord to any size and easily cradle it to have a raised look?!?

nearyartist
01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
I had to add a cradle to some Crescent water color board (sold as "Aquaboard") because it began to buckle while the painting was in process. I cut 1X2 inch pieces of hemlock that I bought at our local hardware store to frame the back. Because the sheet was 20X30 inches I also cut a piece to go down the center, lengthwise. Then I cut a second set of pieces, the same size (but you could use cheaper wood). These were to protect the painting surface from the effect of clamps. I glued the frame (cradle) pieces to the back of the "aquaboard" using Elmer's wood glue and then I clamped it until it was dry. The center piece was added later, with glue and pressed into place with weights. I had to lay the board face down to do that part, so I put it on a clean towel to protect the painting in process. The result was a nice level (no longer buckled) surface AND a piece I can hang without framing.

That said - what are people doing as far as painting or staining such "cradle"?

Srishti
01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the great advice nearyartist! :clap: I will try to do that! I guess the sides could use a coat of "absorbant ground" which would take watercolor or gesso! I haven't tried either yet... but would be inclined to do so.... and see if that works...

Granola Girl
01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Shelley, our locals don't carry the stuff, but I've ordered supplies from Blick, and even with s&h and taxes, it's comparable or cheaper, especially when I add traveling cost.

Blick will ask whether you want USPS or UPS shipping. UPS charges a high broker's fee to move parcels over the border. The post charges only a $5 flat fee. Parcels under $25 (I think that's the cut off) cross the border without being taxed, and larger parcels aren't always stopped either so sometimes you won't have to pay taxes, but sometimes you do.

Next order, I'm trying aquabord... looks interesting!

HarvestMoon
01-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Crescent Watercolor Board is a very different product than the Ampersand Aquabord.

Here is what dickblick.com says about the Crescent Watercolor Board:

Crescent Watercolor Board is a 100% cotton rag, acid-free watercolor paper mounted on one side of an extra heavy, 1/8" (3 mm) thick, 40 ply board to eliminate the need for stretching. The paper is a 140 lb (300 gsm) weight paper. It's excellent for watercolor, illustration, and airbrush.

The board underneath is not acid-free. Crescent Watercolor Board is recommended as a surface for illustrations that will be scanned and tranferred to digital media.

the Amersand Aquabord is not paper glued to a board. They have created a surface texture on a board. The thiner sheets (1/8 in.) are up to 24" × 36". I think you could make a cradle as Nearyartist described for it.

nearyartist
01-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Harvest Moon - Thanks for that good description of the differences between Crescent's "aquaboard" and Ampersand's. I was not aware that Crescent's backing is not acid free, but if the acid free paper is glued to the "board" with a polymer acrylic based glue, that tends to act as a barrier. The product insert (which I kept, since it's bright blue and might be useful in collage) says "100% rag, acid free premium wc paper..." but makes no claims about the "triple thick board middle".

I have a sample piece of Ampersand's aquaboard and I think the cradling I did with the Crescent board would apply to the Ampersand product easily. I would recommend cradling before you paint, although I doubt the Ampersand product will warp like the Crescent product did. It's just easier to handle if it doesn't have a masterpiece on it already. I don't plan on using the Crescent product in the future.

jbeausoleil
01-21-2010, 04:53 PM
I LOVE the aquabord! I've only done a couple so far. I think it far better for us beginners too - just as someone else commented - I put a bad attempt under the water faucet and now have one that I ended up framing! I love to pour large watercolor though and find paper not tacked down (in other words - flexible is good!) to be to my liking so I have not done as much aquabord because of its wonderful stiffness. I have not tried pouring on the stiff boards but I will. It will just require a different mind set or vision of my piece I think. Cheers!

catjoe
01-22-2010, 08:26 AM
One thing I have found is my texture techniques do not react the same on the Aquabord as they do on paper...such as salt in damp watercolor. To combat having to wash off a technique that didn't work as I expected, I keep one piece of Aquabord set aside to use as my tester. I know it's expensive, but it has been worth it to be able to see how the paint will react on the Aquabord...and of course, when I have filled it...I can just wash it off. Love this stuff!

HarvestMoon
01-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Catjoe- thanks for that tip! I was thinking of doing something and using salt on it soon...I have some small pieces (they sell tiny pieces of it in packages) that would be perfect for testing!

ourcassidy!
02-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Linda...I got a couple of pieces of Aquaboard...Love it!!! So glad you posted this topic because I probably would have never tried using it! Love it!

Pam

HarvestMoon
02-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Pam - I am so happy that you tried it and even happier that you love it! I think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Now when I use paper I go nuts with all the warping and puddling and stuff !

Srishti
02-15-2010, 01:13 PM
Is Aquabord less liftable than the watercolor canvas? or is it to the same degree or more so?
I got one last month, haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but hopefully soon! :D It looks so beautiful :heart:

HarvestMoon
02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Srishti- I have only used watercolor canvas once years ago...and was not trying to lift...the aquabord is very easy to lift though....I imagine it is easier than the canvas since it would be less easy for the paint to 'soak in'. I suspect it has less porosity than either paper or canvas.

thelonious
06-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree with catjoe, I use salt sometimes and wax paper on wet paint and while I'm looking for a random effect, I'm not getting the same effect I do on paper.

I love the idea of the boards and not having to frame them, but I'm not yet in love with them to make a complete switch from paper.

I also find that some colors lift off too easy, when I don't want them too!

rcollege
06-09-2010, 02:54 AM
I love this stuff...I've worked on Aquaboard for years...what else can you use to do a 24"x 36" watercolor and be able to frame without glass? The last thing I did was "Kyanithia"...an angel 24"x36" and used my reliable Kamar Varnish...no other varnish I've tried works better...not even the Krylon clear coats.
My only dislike is how it darkens grey when wet, but lightens back when its dry...nothing horrible, just something to make adjustments for.
Watercolor canvas lifts much easier than clayboard IMHO.

HarvestMoon
06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Roger- I will have to try the Kamar varnish- I am never sure what the very best method really is to finish these!

rcollege
06-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I have used Kamar for various artworks and other things. I like it because it is archival, removable, doesn't yellow and dries quick. The nozzle is good as well- it may be the varnish, but I rarely if ever have issues with clogging.

ourcassidy!
06-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Roger, I understand the value of removable varnish with acrylic/oils. But, wonder what would happen if one tried to remove from watercolor painting...seems it might rewet the painting hence lifting colors? Just wondering your thoughts. Pam

rcollege
06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Pam,

I have often questions that as well. I would have to agree with you. However, I wonder if if you put several coats and allow full drying in between, if you could remove a top layer without removing the first layers. This would allow the top layer and all the dirt to be removed without disturbing the watercolor...but I would imaging that there would have to have thick layers made by using several thin coats that are allowed to fully cure before another layer is developed via several light coats. This is just a hypothesis of mine.

thelonious
06-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Has anyone ever used masking fluid on the aquabord?

RainySea
07-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I just found this thread. . . I am going to do a blick order and my try a small aquaboard. But I wonder, since its not under glass, will the sprays really seal it enough so that the dust will not adhere and dirty the paper? I live in a VERY dusty area, it gets on everything in no time. . .and so I worry that it might get a dust coating that might get ground into or dirty the surface on repeated dusting.

Thanks!!

nearyartist
07-01-2010, 05:35 PM
this thread is taking a turn towards varnishing water media, which is the subject of another thread. I personally use two to three coats of clear (gloss) spray finish or varnish, followed by two to three coats of acrylic UVLS gloss varnish (Golden product) on my watercolors. Once the painting is varnished, I glue it to lightly sanded hardboard using acrylic gel medium. This "glue" is not only effective in attaching the paper to the hardboard, but it also provides an acrylic barrier between the paper and the hardboard. I then frame the painting as if it were an oil or acrylic painting - no mat or glass. I, too, live in an extremely dusty area. I wipe the dust off the surface just as I would wipe it off glass.

Carole A
07-10-2010, 04:36 PM
This morning as I was looking through my supplies, I found a 4-pack of 6"X6" aquabords that I bought about 2 years ago, so I ran to the 'puter to find this thread. There are two show/sales in August that I'm considering and the aquabord would fit the bill perfectly because there's no expense of matting and glass, just some simple frames. Now I just have to get the paints out and see if I can make the boards work for me.

Just wanted to say, "Thank You", Linda for this thread and the valuable information.

Carole A

HarvestMoon
07-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Carole- you are welcome, and I hope we get to see what you have done with your aquabord!

reikiart
12-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Hi everybody! I realize there has not been a post on this thread in a while, but I just found it today and I have a couple of questions. I am using acrylics thinned with water and I just purchased some Aquabord. I am wondering if it needs any kind of prep before painting on it? Also, a video I watched recently showed the artist placing what he called an "isolation coat" over his underpainting. It was a coating of Golden Soft Gel medium. If I do that, will I still be able to lift paint off as easily as everyone has said you can do with this Aquabord? Thanks for any helpful advice. I really was happy to find this thread. Lots of great information.

nearyartist
12-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Using fluid acrylics on acquaboard sounds like an exciting experiment and I will be very interested to hear about the results from you. I would think that application of any acrylic paint or acrylic medium would cancel the "liftability" of the surface once the paint or medium drys. Thus the video demonstration is one of sealing the underpainting in place and liftability would be nullified. If you are working in fluid (or watered) acrylics and continue to work until the painting is complete before allowing the surface to dry, you might retain liftability to that point. Please let us know how it goes!

Sandra Neary
La Pine, OR
www.sandraneary.com (http://www.sandraneary.com)

reikiart
12-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Using fluid acrylics on acquaboard sounds like an exciting experiment and I will be very interested to hear about the results from you. I would think that application of any acrylic paint or acrylic medium would cancel the "liftability" of the surface once the paint or medium drys. Thus the video demonstration is one of sealing the underpainting in place and liftability would be nullified. If you are working in fluid (or watered) acrylics and continue to work until the painting is complete before allowing the surface to dry, you might retain liftability to that point. Please let us know how it goes!

Sandra Neary
La Pine, OR
www.sandraneary.com (http://www.sandraneary.com)

Thank you! I'm new to painting and kind of a dummy when it comes to some things :o - but you helped me understand it better. I think I am going to give the aquabord a try and just keep a wet towel handy to catch mistakes right away. I will post a pic when I am finished. Thanks again! :wave:

Renilou
03-31-2014, 06:44 PM
I simply do not understand why I did not have a smooth surfaced choice if there is any. I bought one but the texture feels rough to me. For someone who paints watercolor on hot pressed paper, I know I'm not going to like it. I really dislike rough pressed watercolor paper anyway.

Its frustrating to me because Dick Blick and the other stores I looked up gives no actual description for it. What on earth does cradled mean? I saw a flat description, cradled and deeply cradled. I have no clue what that means and the pics give nothing away.
If this does come in a smooth surface, why cannot I find anyplace that says that?
There really needs to be a more detailed explanation at the online stores. :o I wasted my money.

HarvestMoon
04-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Renee, it is a little rough. Most watercolorist I know like cold pressed paper, which is also a little rough, as opposed to hot pressed, which is smoother. But all paper has some texture. The cradled boards refer to the depth of the sides. I like the flat aquabords so I can put them in a frame, but the cradled ones have sides that require no framing, they are like the museum mounted canvas. I like the aquabords the most when I use gouache, it is perfect for that and makes a lovely surface.

jdon4
04-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Hi Linda, Just got some claybord and am trying it, and really like it.

Now, a stupid question, what frames have you tried to fit a 6" x 6"
flat 1/8" thick claybord?

jdon4
04-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Hi Linda,

I put the horse before the cart, so to speak!
Found some frames on the internet, and Dick Blick.
Sorry for the question.:o