PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottle

Alboin
08-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Hello,

I painted this yesterday. Acrylic on canvas board, 9x12. Sorry for the poor picture quality, but my camera is terrible.

I didn't want to make the picture more confusing by adding the label's info, so I make it a few shades of blue instead to try to cancel out some of the warmth of the background and balance it.

Suggestions?

(I hope this is the right place for this. There's just so many forums here! :))

Thanks,
Alboin

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2008/150917-pict0338.jpg

spearmintjoe
08-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I love the way you've handled the light at the bottom of the bottle (under the label).

LavenderFrost
08-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Ditto! And I think what you did with the label works too.

OkeeKat
08-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Great painting, Love how you did the bottle especialy the bottom half.. Great colors in the background & foreground!! Love the brushstrokes!

Alboin
08-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the comments. :)

I don't usually paint so roughly, but I just wanted to have some fun, and this is what turned out. Gotta love spontaneous painting exercises. ;)

tbolt
08-16-2008, 02:00 AM
i dont want to be a jerk, but its not very good. keep at it Alboin and it will be.

Alboin
08-16-2008, 02:29 AM
i dont want to be a jerk, but its not very good. keep at it Alboin and it will be. That's actually what I'm looking for. However, could you be a little more of a specific jerk? :)

I already know the label looks 'flat', and the composition is uninteresting. There are also several parts of the top that are 'off' as well. I'm not so much interested in technical detail as I am in toying with largish brushwork and broken light. (I was in a hurry to just start painting, actually, and my underdrawing was a bit skewed.) I believe I achieved what I was going after in the bottom of the bottle somewhat well. (More dark highlights could have been used.)

More jerks?
Alboin

Bizkit
08-16-2008, 02:35 AM
i dont want to be a jerk, but its not very good. keep at it Alboin and it will be.

Instead of saying its not very good hows about offering some constructive critisism instead?
Heres what Ive got......overall, nice job, youve handled the top and bottom of the bottle quite well. The problem came in, at least I think when you tried to blank out the label and that kinda messed with you a bit didnt it?
I think in the long run you would be better to just go ahead and add the wording to make it look like the actual bottle. I would put a good blur on the wording so it blends just as the rest of the picture and I think it will be a good overall improvment.
The bottom half of that bottle as mentioned previously was handled extremely well and youve definately captured the lights nicely. As far as the background its a bit difficult to tell what its actually sitting on, not that it matters but its nice to have an idea. Your background is a bit more on the abstract side. ONe last note, the top of the bottle has some issues where it doesnt look connected to the rest of the bottle? Be careful around those areas and remeber to focus on the perspective, it looks a bit off as well at the top.
Dont take the critisism too hard, its constructive and there to help!!

Alboin
08-16-2008, 02:57 AM
The problem came in, at least I think when you tried to blank out the label and that kinda messed with you a bit didnt it?
I think in the long run you would be better to just go ahead and add the wording to make it look like the actual bottle. I would put a good blur on the wording so it blends just as the rest of the picture and I think it will be a good overall improvment. In the future, I think I'll look for better subject matter when doing something like this. (eg. fruit) ;) Simpler objects should allow for more attention of other aspects, no? (eg. technique)
ONe last note, the top of the bottle has some issues where it doesnt look connected to the rest of the bottle? I quite like those areas. My eye seems to make the connection for me without added detail. Is this not so to anyone but myself?
Be careful around those areas and remeber to focus on the perspective, it looks a bit off as well at the top. Yeah, the right side of the top is too wide. It goes out too far. I was just in too much of a hurry. Earlier that day I had seen a glass vinegar bottle, and the light shined through it just fantastically. I had this picture in my mind, and I just had to get it out of my system. Too much inspiration and too little patience, I suppose.
Dont take the critisism too hard, its constructive and there to help!!I like criticism more than praise so bring it on. I absolutly am enthralled when someone tells me something that I did not see, or could not see. Paradoxes, if you will. ;)

For the sake of my own sanity and for comparison, here is a painting I did a month or so ago of a pelican. It's centered, yes, and its head is a tad too big. However, does anyone see any common fallacies between the two that seem to follow me? (This one didn't actually have an under sketch. I just painted it in. A *very* bad habit I have, I'm afraid.)

Thanks again!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2008/150917-pict0336.jpg