PDA

View Full Version : Woo hoo! New Great American Artworks set arrived? How do I ....?

ArtSavesLives
08-15-2008, 01:00 AM
I got my new set of 60 half-sticks, which I want to break in half to use in both my plein air and home sets. What is the best way to snap them in two? Do I score them first, or just break them? I don't want crumbled dust. . . .

They sure is pretty!

Deborah Secor
08-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Are't they neat? A new set of pastels is like eyee-candy--a visual treat!

I use a blade to score the edge of the whole sticks and snap them. It works pretty well. I would think with the halfs you might not need to break them, however... not sure,as I don't have that set. Maybe somebody else will have advice on them for you!

Have fun!
Deborah

HarvestMoon
08-15-2008, 12:04 PM
I have only broken whole sticks....but have just held them very close to where you want the break, and rapidly snapped them in half....it would actually really scare me to try to get that very beautiful set of half sticks into fourth sticks...scary for sure....I have made dust out of some pastels trying to cut them in half with a knife...but like Deb said scoring might help...

but to be perfectly honest I would not break these if I were you...I would put a 2nd set on the Christmas, Birthday, or other 'want' list...but then I hate trying to use tiny pieces of pastel...

at any rate, like Deb says, just LOOKING at these are so cool...that particular set is so nifty I have been taking mine EVERYWHERE with me....

I hear that they are packing all of their new 39 set boxes in these sweet cigar boxes...

Dougwas
08-15-2008, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't even attempt it. I have a set of full stick GA's and tried breaking them in half and some sticks crumbled a bit. I scored them like Deborah said but didn't have too much success. Some sticks cooperated but others didn't.

I hope you enjoy your new toy but just remember to use a light hand. I am still trying to learn how to use them with my heavy hand. I use hem mostly just for hilights.

Happy pasteling:)

Doug

ArtSavesLives
08-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow, thanks everyone. And yes, they are the stuff dreaming is made of!

Right in the package is suggested that they can be broken in two and used in my studio and plein air sets. Maybe I will see if I can contact the company. I bought them to take to the Outer Banks for my Jack Pardue workshop in Ocotober, but don't have room for all of them in my Roz box if I keep them whole.

Now I want more. Girault? Mount Vision? Townsend or Ludwig?

I am so-o-o-o-o-o addicted!

Artistammy
08-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I hold pastels over a toothpick where I want them to break & press down on both ends. It's worked well with all my pastels except my older Senneleirs. I don't have any GA's tho.
Tammy

HarvestMoon
08-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Tammy- that is a great idea....the senneleirs crumble if you look at them...

ASL- the Giraults are quite good and very different than the GA's - they are thinner and harder...a great complement- I do love them...

Mount Vision are terrific as well

Townsend- very expensive and crumbles before you even get them out of the box- at least mine and a friend of mine's did...

Ludwigs are great too....

but hands down my favorite are the GA's....you can never have TOO MANY GA's....they have some really yummy bigger sets...they have about 500 colors

I bought every set out there and not only really racked up a ton of debt badly doing it in my enthusiasm, but I discovered that the GA's were the best for me so I don't use much of anything else...

do try the sample sets at dakotas before you buy more sets....I could have saved a fortune if they had those when I first started

here is the old contact info- their website is down at the moment....they may be moving....

Bob Strohsahl
Great American ART WORKS
1645 Blue Rock Street
Cincinnati, Ohio 45223

[email protected]