PDA

View Full Version : Received a Very Nice Compliment

binkie
08-13-2008, 11:16 PM
A few weeks ago I did a portrait of my gardner. He and his wife liked it so well that he asked me to do one of his son. He wants to pay me to do it but I'm going to give it to him. Yesterday, his wife brought the 4 year old little boy over so I could photograph him for the portrait.

I now have the greatest respect for child photographers and portrait painters who take their own photos or work from life. Jose is an adorable little wiggly worm who absolutely would not pose. I took over 50 photos and will end up having to use several photos to get a reasonable pose. I've never done that to get the right expression so it will be interesting.

Anyway, I thought it was really neat that someone actually wanted to pay me to paint a portrait.

binkie

artist_pw
08-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi:

That is great. I hope you do a wonderful painting that captures the essence of the child. Best thoughts to you and have fun with it, too.

Colorix
08-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Binkie, that's very nice, a compliment indeed.

Photographing children... :-D You got some *interesting* faces, didn't you? I seem to remember I was distracted by some squeeky toy, back in the 'stone ages' when I was a kid and had my likeness taken. Also remember *knowing* the purpose was to make me sit still and look, which was stupid, as the camera was much more interesting and I'd keep still if they only let me look at that mysterious machine. :-)

Donna T
08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Of course they want to pay you, Binkie, you do really nice work! What if little Jose received a new toy or book before you tried to take his photo? Just wondering if something new would hold his attention for a few minutes. Good luck!

Donna

Deborah Secor
08-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Wow--a real live commission, binkie. I'm impressed, even if you give it to them. That's a delightful gift to give and good experience, too. I agree, the nicest compliment of all is having anyone willing to pay you for a painting.

Now, I too remember the portrait session as a four year old. My Daddy took me to a big hotel in Denver, all dressed up pretty in gloves and a hat. That photog gave me a little stuffed dog, memorialized in the photos we still have hanging on the wall.

Hope the painting goes well--have fun!
Deborah

Wrichards
08-14-2008, 04:41 PM
haha, know this story well ;) thank god for digital cameras and NO FILM haha....

looking forward to seeing your work, I LOVE doing portraits. I have another one this week of 2 kids. the photos given to me are kinda weak, so a few photo shop hours later, I think I got it. I did a very simple colour study in pastel just to workout the kinks, but the final will be oils. Im always suprized at what people want. I love oils, but wish more people would look a bit beyond the box and consider graphite and pastels more. All in all I like to use the medium that I feel expresses the character the best. but who am I to argue? ;)

binkie
08-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone!! We tried toys, candy and even brought out my precious little boston terrier. I have to laugh because at one point his mother grabbed his face and stretched it into a smile. I very politely told her that wasn't going to work. I have to finish the gift I'm working on first before I start Jose's portrait.

Thanks again!

binkie

Donna T
08-15-2008, 09:20 AM
I have to laugh because at one point his mother grabbed his face and stretched it into a smile.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now why didn't I think of that when my boys were young?!! They were (still are) awful about posing for photos! I can see why you turned down the face-stretch maneuver, Binkie. Not the most natural look!

Donna

HarvestMoon
08-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Binkie- I am not at all surprised....your work is wonderful!!! LOL at the photography.....

Scottyarthur
08-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Thats great binkie, good for you. you will do wonderful as your work is really very nice

binkie
08-16-2008, 03:22 AM
Donna, Linda, Scott = Thanks! I just hope I can do a good job on it.

binkie

Tressa
08-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Can't wait to see it Binkie, children have such espressive faces, and actually I think candid shots are much better than poses.
Tressa