PDA

View Full Version : Letter of the Week 'D'

Hiraeth
08-12-2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2008/144882-Letter_of_the_Week_D.JPG

Not happy with this one, but the challenge is to do a letter a week and this is what I came up with in the time that I had. I considered cheating by substituting a Roman-style versal in place of the Lombardic ones I've chosen to stick with, but then, how will I ever learn? Right?

So, have you chosen or lettered YOUR 'D'?

(sorry, I tried to make it as an attachment, but I thought I did something wrong because I couldn't see it. Now I see that it is there, but I don't know how to get rid of it)

TessDB
08-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Nice, Kim!

Know you probably mentioned it in one of the other letter threads, but what size are these? What sort of ink/pens/etc. are you using? I'm curious as a :cat: , you know. :D

Rosemary

Hiraeth
08-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Since these are all going to go into a book for my grandson, I'm using pretty much all the same materials for consistency. The sizes are slightly different, due to the characteristics of the letters and the freedom of the lettering that changes from week to week, but I'm trying to keep them all around 8 x 10 cm.

Lombardic Versal
Osmiroid B3 nib and Pigma Micron 005
Lettered on HP presentation paper, then printed onto Watercolor Paper
Derwent Inktense Colored Pencils, blended with a blender pen

For some reason, this one scanned a bit fuzzy. The dogwood blossoms look better in real life. I am NOT an artist--can't draw to save my life--I have to stick with simple shapes; so it's a challenge to find subjects for the letters that I can a) draw simply and b) that can fit into a tiny square in the corner.

azulparsnip
08-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Greetings Kim and Tess - nice work Tess

Here's a D . I'm working on learning henna tattooing so this is a henna influenced alphabet.:)

Hiraeth
08-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Very nice! Do I detect an Indian influence?

marie_d
08-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Kim....Nice colour, like the lettering. I am also having problems with the uploader, its driving me crackers. Had to do this post by attachment.

Azul....Like the Indian style.

Heres my medieval letter D which I have posted seperately in the forum as well as here.

Size 4"x5" loose gold leaf, black ink, gouache, coloured pencils.

Hiraeth
08-17-2008, 01:06 PM
That is beautiful! Makes me want to try something with gold leaf. If and when I do, I hope you'll be on stand by so I can pick your brain! I have so much to learn!

Kim....Nice colour, like the lettering. I am also having problems with the uploader, its driving me crackers. Had to do this post by attachment.

Azul....Like the Indian style.

Heres my medieval letter D which I have posted seperately in the forum as well as here.

Size 4"x5" loose gold leaf, black ink, gouache, coloured pencils.

marie_d
08-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Thank you Kim. I am only just starting out learning the gilding by reading reference books, scanning the internet etc for info, so in effect I will be self-taught, but I will gladly share with you whatever I have managed to pick up. However, I won't know if any advice I give is right or wrong, but we wont learn until we try.

azulparsnip
08-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Marie, that D is lovely, the gold is wonderful looking, do you have trouble with it flaking off?

marie_d
08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks Azul....dont know how durable the gilding is, all the gilded pieces I have seen have been mounted and framed. Dont know if they are framed for ornamental purpose or for protection for the work. This is only the 3rd attempt I have tried at gilding so I am very much a novice at this stage. My first attempt was a disaster, the 2nd attempt (old English A) was better and this time I seem to be getting a good idea of how to apply the gold leaf. The main thing is 'patience'.

azulparsnip
08-19-2008, 03:22 PM
here are a couple of doodles , okay but leave something to be deesired:p

seeeee you around:o

Hiraeth
08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Doodle Dee D! :clap:

My doodles are so unimaginative--these are bright and lively! Very nice!

here are a couple of doodles , okay but leave something to be deesired:p

seeeee you around:o

zeenjan
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Here's my D. Intense color pencils on drawing paper. (apperently not strong enough to stand up to a good washing, since the paper puckered.)

Hiraeth
11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Very nice! Poppy red?

Have you ever used a blender pen with your Derwent pencils? I like the effect--and you can blend and blend without getting any pucker!

I get my blender pens through Stampin' Up.

Here's my D. Intense color pencils on drawing paper. (apperently not strong enough to stand up to a good washing, since the paper puckered.)

zeenjan
11-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I used Chilli Red, but no, I haven't used the blender on the intense. I will have to give it a go!

jjsangel
11-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Hiraeth..these are very nice and very consistent...I'm sure your grandson will like them very much.

Hey azulparsnip...really nice henna style

marie d..really nice. I love the gold leaf..

zeenjan...nicely done. sorry about the paper. I agree with Hiraeth about trying the blender.

Ok...I know I'm not doing this according to the rules of one a week and I'm not doing them in order. I hope this doesn't matter, but I saw the letters and wanted to get in on some of them. Don't know if I will get to them all, but at least a few. This is my letter D with the celtic motif and a dragon to go along. Sorry my scanner cut off part of it cause it was a little too wide for it, but you get most of it anyway. Hope you like it.

Hiraeth
11-05-2008, 09:53 PM
WOW. Fantastic! Again, I find myself ashamed to call myself a calligrapher.

Awesome work of art.

jjsangel
11-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Thank you so much....Don't be ashamed to call yourself a calligrapher. You do great work. Just because it is a simpler form doesn't make it not good. I'm just very anal and detail oriented and get a bit carried away when I do anything artistic. I really like your style but I find it hard for me to do. I can't even sketch because I can't be that loose. Really I DO think your work is wonderful... It's what got me drawn in to do some of my own.

azulparsnip
11-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Deeeeelightful

Hiraeth
11-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Well, you are very kind. You have a great talent. Do you ever do illustrations for books? I think your work is marvelous and should be showcased.

Thank you so much....Don't be ashamed to call yourself a calligrapher. You do great work. Just because it is a simpler form doesn't make it not good. I'm just very anal and detail oriented and get a bit carried away when I do anything artistic. I really like your style but I find it hard for me to do. I can't even sketch because I can't be that loose. Really I DO think your work is wonderful... It's what got me drawn in to do some of my own.

jjsangel
11-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks so much azulparsnip.

Oh thank you for the nice thought Hiraeth. No I don't do illustrations but that would be very neat and I would love to but I wouldn't even know where to start. Sassybird over in P&I wanted me to do a book of my alphabet letters I started a long time ago but I never really figured out how and I really need to finish some of them. Still have the X,Y and Z left to finish and am redoing some of the others I'm not really happy with. Who knows, maybe one of these days. Thank you again for your nice comments.

azulparsnip
11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Hope to see more letters maybe

zeenjan
11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
man-oh-man... what the heck am I doing in this forum? My poor attemts .... man pffff.

Ok I know what the heck i'm doing, I'm getting inspired to try new things. I'm looking at expanding my skills and techniques.

Hiraeth
11-12-2008, 04:15 AM
I know just how you feel! :lol:

Inspiring and expanding. Yep.

man-oh-man... what the heck am I doing in this forum? My poor attemts .... man pffff.

Ok I know what the heck i'm doing, I'm getting inspired to try new things. I'm looking at expanding my skills and techniques.