PDA

View Full Version : GOLD FOIL illustion in pastel??

PeggyB
08-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Well I'm not usually a still life painter, but when I've painted the illusion of "gold" in the past it was just small bits as in on the edge of a tea cup or plate. Now I'm faced with a bigger challenge of creating the illusion of gold foil wrapped candy and the inner liner of the box, and the same method in large areas just isn't doing it for me. I have the Sennelier metalic pastels, but they aren't exactly right. The smaller parts of gold on the liner are "ok" with the metalic pastels, but they are not very large. Oh yah, and the outside of the box is an almost copper foil too.... :confused:

This is part of a special project in conjunction with a well respected local commmunity member (who just happens to own one of the best hand made candy companies anywhere - made in the old European tradition). The painting will be auctioned at a gala event later this year along with 35 other paintings so I want this to be worthy of the honor. The auction is a benefit for a nonprofit art organization in our city, Issaquah.

Have any of you successfully created large areas of gold foil in pastel? Are you willing to share that information with others here on WC? Any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Peggy

M Douglas
08-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Hi Peggy, couple of questions, is the foil flat or does it have crinkles in it. Are you going for realism or a looser look. I would think it would be like painting silver, just put in every thing you see and in the end it all ties together, sorry I can't be much more help. I'm working on tissue paper right now and its the same sort of problem lol. I believe Kim has done some copper or gold pieces, I can't remember her online name, she does beautiful still lifes.

Melodie

Colorix
08-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Peggy, don't hit me... :-) as I say "just paint what you see". Truly, is there any other way? Yes, well, a few tips and tricks may help.

Somebody made a still-life with gold (?) foil as a bg some time ago, here, in pastel. It was very beautiful, but we couldn't figure out what it was, trying to see the foil as an object when it was really the bg. (We= me and some others.) Problem is I can't remember who it was, but in time it was less than a year ago, and it was not recently. That person would be the perfect one to ask. I'll give the task of finding the name to my subconscious. I remember being fairly new on the forum.

Charlie

Artistammy
08-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Can you see reflections in the gold foil? That is what usually makes metals appear metallic. Sorry I don't know more than that. Can we see the reference?
Tammy

Tressa
08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Here is Kim's link to Seven shades of gold.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468682&highlight=gold

This might help also Peggy...about half way down the page is a color chart

http://figdrawing.blogspot.com/2008/03/brief-word-on-painting-gold.html

PeggyB
08-07-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2008/68149-PICT1879.jpg

OK - here's a image of the gold foil on the candy. I'm not putting the blue foiled pieces in the painting. I tend to be more of an impressionist or expressionist painter in landscapes, but this I think will most likely be a bit more "tight" - or photorealistic (not that I won't try to loosen it up once I get going!) I know how to do reflections, I know how to "paint what I see" - what I don't know is how to get the right color combination to make it look "gold" - what I saw elswhere looks to "yellow" or "orange" to me. Maybe I'm asking more than can be delivered. Oh! and what looks "white" on the cups of the box liner are actually pale gold as is the narrow divider between the boxes (the larger divider is brown- as shown). Although I have the photo, I also have the still life. I can't leave the studio lamp shining on it for long as the candies melt, but I have an extra box that I can look at to see the "real" colors of the materials.

I'll keep looking and read the two sites Tres suggested more carefully.

Thanks

Peggy

Dougwas
08-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Peggy!!! I think I see one missing!!!:eek: Now how would that happen?:evil:

Doug

Deborah Secor
08-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Here's another tool you might use, Peggy. Check out the idea in this thread:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506901&highlight=gold

And here's a bit more:

http://www.geocities.com/~jlhagan/advanced/goldsilver.htm

Deborah

PeggyB
08-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Peggy!!! I think I see one missing!!!:eek: Now how would that happen?:evil:

Doug

Oh didn't I tell you that I have a studio Elf? When the chocolates came into the room, he told some friends, and the next thing I knew I had a whole family of Studio Elves... :eek: They are very good at misplacing things I know I put back where they belong!!! At the moment I can't find my pastel pencil case! :lol:

Thank you Tres and Deborah for those links. Strangely enough, the basic colors that are being suggested in the link Tres gave are similar to the colors I've used before. I think I'm just a bit stressed over this for as I said, I'm not accustomed to doing still life - yah, yah, it's just another version of a landscape - or so someone once told me.... so far I'm not "buying that idea! I think I'll try the colors suggested in the second link Deborah listed. They are a bit different and I might be happier.

I'll certainly keep everyone advised as to the progress of this project. It has to be finished and framed before Sept 1. Usually that is way more than enough time for me to complete a painting of this size. 16 X 20 or so (you know they almost always "grow"!)

Peggy

Tressa
08-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Yea, Peggy, those quotes don't mean much when your standing there faced with a frustration:lol: You'll get it working, so stop stressing, and eat a piece of that chocolate:D and when you get the right combination, lock those sticks up, so you don't lose them:wink2:
Tres

Artistammy
08-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I liked the blogspot link that Tressa gave & the 1st link from Deborah. Try doing just one candy & part of the divider as practice. Hopefully, you'll gain some confidence to attack the whole painting.
Tammy

PeggyB
08-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Well after much experimenting using the techinques in the links suggested here, and a sleep interupted by strange "golden" dreams, I think I have most of my problem solved. However, it is thanks and apologies to Harley Brown that I found a technique that works for me in pastel. I'm sure the other methods work well in wet mediums, but I just couldn't make it work for me in pastel (not saying someone else will be more successful though). About 5:30 AM I thought I remembered a still life in one of Harley's books that had a brass bowl and candlestick holder, and since this gold foil looks as much like brass as it does gold I figured I'd test my memory to see if that was the book. Sure enough "Red Candle" was there along with some steps to show his approach to this painting. Now I'm not saying I'm by any stretch of the imagination close to Harley Brown, but I think this will do. I didn't intend using my B&W on white Canson Mi Tientes textured side as anything other than a B&W study, but I started using it just to see how the colors worked, and by golly I think the texture helps in this case. Here's the beginning - tweeking needed, but it is a start. I'm happy with the foil wrapped candy, but the cups of the insert need adjustment - without getting too fussy!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2008/68149-s_Gold_1.jpg

Once again, Harley's suggestion and example has pulled me from the fire. If nothing else reading and looking remind me to stop, look, decifer, and proceed without too much fussing. :)

Dougwas
08-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Looks good Peggy!:thumbsup: Good luck. I can't wait to see the finished piece. (And put that chocolate down):lol:

Doug

Deborah Secor
08-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I agree--the gold foil is looking pretty convincing, Peggy. "Fussy' might be somewhat necessary to make some of the sparkle, though. I'm not sure--your call on that, of course. Personally, I'd push the darks!

I wish you chocolate dreams!
Deborah

artist_pw
08-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Hi:

I noticed it looks like you solved your issue - in the the snip of your painting, those areas completely appear to be gold - good job! I was about to take the photo into Corel Painter and do the little color selection stuff that really lets you examine the pixels of the colors in big groups. If you might want me to do that, let me know and I will. And by the way, yum!

PeggyB
08-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Hi:

I noticed it looks like you solved your issue - in the the snip of your painting, those areas completely appear to be gold - good job! I was about to take the photo into Corel Painter and do the little color selection stuff that really lets you examine the pixels of the colors in big groups. If you might want me to do that, let me know and I will. And by the way, yum!

Thanks Paula - next time you are in the area I'll be sure to take you to Boehm's Candy store. If you give me enough notice, I might even be able to arrange a tour of the apartment above the shop. That is where Julius Boehm, the founder lived until he died in the late 1970's. It is a fascinating story about how he skied across the Alps to leave Austria to escape Nazi Germany...

Doug, Deborah, thanks. This is taking a lot longer than I usually spend on a landscape! Deborah, this photo is a bit washed out because I had the hight intensity light on it. The darks are a bit darker irl.

Peggy

Peggy

PeggyB
08-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know the painting is finished and doesn't look at all like what was started here! :lol: You can see it in the gallery with the title Julius Boehm's Legacy - gold foil candy.

Peggy

Artistammy
08-25-2008, 09:33 PM
What gallery? Do you have a link to it?
Tammy

PeggyB
08-25-2008, 10:02 PM
What gallery? Do you have a link to it?
Tammy

Sorry I wasn't so clear about this Tammy. I meant the soft pastel studio/gallery - the other forum on this pastel site. Where we post our paintings and wip's. :)

Peggy