PDA

View Full Version : mixing various brands of acrylic

Drew Davis
10-26-1999, 09:24 PM
Yes, the various brands of acrylics are generally compatible with each other.

I'd suggest you try Golden. They're good quality, and widely available. And you've gotta love their system for showing you the color of the paint.

pskudlarski
10-27-1999, 12:00 AM
hello
I recently started to paint in acrylic
I treat is as a loose hobby but I am getting drawn into it
I started from buying several tubes of student paints from Liquitex
I wonder if I can try other brands like Utrecht or Windsor and mix them with colors I already have.
could I use the same medium, gesso and flow aid with different brands of paints???

BH
11-29-1999, 06:15 PM
Just watch out when mixing with Rotring Artist's colors and other bottled "acrylic inks", like FW.
These will redissolve if coated with some types of acrylic, like Golden Airbrush or Fluid acrylic.

Artguy29
08-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Hi,
I wanted to know if it was ok to mix Grumbacher Academy acrylics with Liquitex Basics acrylics. I'm not sure if you have used both brands but just a general idea would be fine. I got a set of Liquitex Basics about a year ago and now I've moved on to Grumbacher Academy so I wanted to use my extra whites and blacks of Liquitex with Grumbacher. Thanks,

Dave

A Few Pigments
08-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Artguy29 I donít see why you couldnít. Some acrylics shouldnít be mixed together but I havenít had any problems mixing Winsor & Newton Finity, Liquitex Acrylic Artist Color, Liquitex Basics Titanium White and Grumbacher Acrylic Retarder.

Artguy29
08-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Bruce, just wanted to make sure.

Dave

shirleyq
08-13-2004, 10:54 PM
I mix brands of acrylics all of the time and have never had a problem. :) I am not familiar with Rotring.

Mikey
08-14-2004, 05:19 AM
I use Golden acrylics, but if I don't want to pay £3.50 p&p for one urgently needed tube of paint buy Finity locally. Never a problem mixing. I did buy a cheap of tube Boldmere Burnt Sienna with the idea it would mix nicely for a warm painting ground. Never again. Transparent does not adequately describe this paint which is far from being Burnt Sienna.

Mikey

Enchanted
08-14-2004, 09:29 AM
I mix brands of acrylics all of the time and have never had a problem. :) I am not familiar with Rotring.
I only know of ROTRING brand of inks - not anything called paint. And it seems the ROTRING product line is fast disappearing from the market, at least in the USA, ever since SANFORD bought them out. Now, if you click on Rotring on the Sanford web site, you get references to Papermate products instead. I find it unimaginable that the Rotring line of fine drafting/drawing pens is no longer manufactured, but maybe other types of pens have driven them from the market - ball points, fiber points, etc. Or maybe it's just in the USA that the Rotring line is no longer available? Anyone know the answer?

In any event, I can think of no reason a person couldn't swirl ordinary inks into acrylic mediums if that was wanted. But why would anyone want to do that instead of simply using acrylic paints to begin with :confused:

Mikey
08-14-2004, 09:38 AM
I only know of ROTRING brand of inks - not anything called paint. I can think of no reason that the ink couldn't be swirled into clear acrylic medium if someone wanted to do that. Not sure why anyone would want to do it considering it's much simpler to just use the acrylic paint to begin with. :confused:

I've used Rotring Acrylic ink very successfully mixed with Finity acrylics years back. I'm talking about 14 year old paintings so that cant be bad.

Mikey

Mikey
08-14-2004, 10:15 AM
In any event, I can think of no reason a person couldn't swirl ordinary inks into acrylic mediums if that was wanted. But why would anyone want to do that instead of simply using acrylic paints to begin with :confused:

It's very sad indeed to hear of the demise of a fine product range.

Rotring Black Acrylic ink for example is a very dense black, but flows thinly giving terrific control of the brush for hard edges and small detail. No doubt like other watercolour inks it allows for very saturated colour. Just the job for draughting and illustration.

Mikey

Einion
08-14-2004, 11:29 AM
How did Drew's answer appear before the question? :D

I've used and tested many brands of acrylics and never experienced adverse reactions between them. If this does occur the effect is immediate and obvious according to the manufacturers.

Einion