PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble Aug 4 Thru 10

K Taylor-Green
08-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Morning all! Welcome to the Scumble, our weekly chat thread where we share the happenings of our everyday lives.

Hope everyone's week is starting out well. I am on Grandma duty today. Oldest daughter's 3 kids are here. It will be TV and computer all day for them! It is pretty hot out to make them go out and play.
They are all three in Soccer, so I am kept running getting them to practice on time in the evenings.
Collin and Ethan have practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Anna is 4 and this is her first year. Her practice is on Mondays and Wednesdays. Somehow, I have become a soccer Grandma!:eek: :eek:
But my daughter pays me well to look after them three days a week, so it is part of the job.:D Will either keep me young, or make me old, not sure which!
It will be much quieter when school starts in a couple of weeks.:lol:

Deborah Secor
08-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Ah, Kate, enjoy every minute of grandma-ing! I can tell you do. Grandmas are so important to kids--really key to their understanding of more than we think. Like, where else can they be disciplined and spoiled at the same time? :D

I'm in the midst of a mom drama. My son, who's 22 and living away from home for the first time, has had the flu for a week. He relapsed over the weekend and now has a terrible aching ear. He's due to hop on a plane to go on a mission trip to Macedonia :thumbsup: next Monday, so he really needs this to clear up. In the middle of the night on Saturday his dad and I made trip to Walgreen's for OTC meds and delivered them to him. He's all the way across town from us now that we've moved, but when your kid calls you just don't ignore it! Today he decided he needs some more help, which seems wise, so I made an appointment with a new (actually old-fashioned) kind of doctor. Believe it or not, some clever doctor figured out that if he stopped dealing with insurance companies and medicare or medicaid he could charge less and get lots of business! He takes payment at the time of services (cash, check, credit card) and will even come to your house if you need it. Amazing. Just like when I was a little girl... :music: ...everything old is new again...:music:

Deborah

Pat Isaac
08-04-2008, 06:51 PM
That is amazing, Deborah. I remember the old time doctors. I hope he recovers in time for his trip. Its true, enjoy and enjoy, Kate. I never had grandparents in my life so I know it is important.

Pat

Tressa
08-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Ooh Kate how I envy you! I only get to see mine rarely! With my daughter's work, her hubbys, and mine, it is hard to get together! I have only seen the little one(have two) twice so far!!!:crying: Candace just turned 1 and Grace is 4. I really wish they lived close to me. Presents just don't replace getting to spend time with them. Hoping to carve out a week the end of this month or the last two weeks of Sept.
Deborah, hope your son gets well soon, and is able to make his trip. Not good to fly with an ear ache.

Well, I have a commission I will be working on probably in September/October, but is not pastel. I am doing a mural for my gyn's grandaughter. We are meeting to discuss the end of this month as she is going to India for three weeks. I used to do them a lot, but got tired of climbing ladders. This is more like a favor as she has been my dr for about 20 years, and has bought several of my paintings.:heart:
This Friday I am having some surgery done, so may not be on here much for a day or so, nothing major..
Hope everyone has a great week!
Tres

chewie
08-04-2008, 08:02 PM
this week is busy for us with 4H. tomorrow we do dog obed. and dairy goats.

for that ear, get it checked out!!! i had a bad flu over a year ago, almost 18 months, and i ignored it. it woke me in the night with inner ear pain so terrible i swore i had hot pokers jabbed in my ear. couldn't eat (which wouldn't be so bad!) couldn't drink, horrible pain. i continued to ignore it, sure it cleared up some, but now its like its plugged all the time. i can no longer sing in church as all i hear is my own voice echoing back at me. its terrible. get that ear checked now!!!!

ok, off the soapbox now. thank you.

Dot Hoffman
08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I guess it's about time I popped in here....even if only briefly.
Deborah, I need the name & phone # of your doc :lol: !

What a day today.....we spent the WHOLE day at MVD, trying to get license plates, title and registration for two cars and drivers license for the two of us. When we first got there early this a.m. there were about 60 people in front of us. We waited a while, but finally thought, ok we'll go the to the express licensing office, where they charge a transaction fee -- it's better than waiting for an hour or more.

Got there, and found out they charge $20 per transaction, and we had FOUR of them:eek: plus the fees to the state. So we left, by now the morning was gone, so we went to the apt to fix a quick sandwich and go back to the MVD. Were were there from 1:08 until 4:46 AND they would not register one of our vehicles which is in the name of our trusts until we bring in the trust paperwork.:crying: So tomorrow morning, we go to the bank to get the trusts out of the safe deposit box, then back to MVD, but at least this time we will be talking with the manager and not just a supervisor (who told us it couldn't be done at all; we had to have our trusts rewritten :eek: ) Hopefully we'll be in and out in an hour or less. To say the least, my husband who is usually a very patient man, is extremely P***ed about the whole thing --- bureaucracy!!!! I think he was half way ready to move back to Missouri --------:crying:

Tressa, I was so impressed with your bargains (from last week's Scumble)! We fell into one yesterday. We needed a new mirror for the master bath, and we were thinking of getting two small ones with a satin nickel trim that we saw advertised at Bed Bath and Beyond. When we got there, they only had one, so that wouldn't work, but they had a big mirror (36 x 62 outside dimensions approximately) with an antiqued gold frame. While we were wandering around the store looking for some other odds and ends, the salesman said he found another one in the back in the "damaged goods" section at 1/2 price. The only damage was that the brown paper cover on the back was torn (who sees it when it's hung?). We took it to the house, Ken lightly sprayed the frame with satin nickel paint and immediately wiped it off, and it's gorgeous, for only $40 -- frame and mirror with beveled edges, ready to hang!!!! It will fit perfectly with our satin nickel plumbing hardware:)!

Well, gotta go, and open mail and fix supper.
Hope everyone has a great week!

K Taylor-Green
08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Deborah, ain't it so, ain't it so? I do spoil them some. Micki just rolls her eyes. But I have to have some discipline or they would drive me nuttier than I already am! I enjoy them so. I don't know what I'll do when Anna is in real school. I know I won't see them nearly as much.
Your Dr sounds amazing! Wish some of ours here would wise up.

Tress, my heart is heavy for you, and all grandparents who so rarely see their grandchildren. How hard that is.
But, have fun with that mural!

Dot, what a mess you are involved in!! I hope it all gets sorted out soon. Who needs that kind of headache?!

Chris, you sound like me, chasing my tail. I have a painting ready to start, but don't see much happening to it til the end of the week. Bummer.

I just got a new commission, too. But it is for a Christmas gift, so no hurry. The client has already paid for it. She got a bonus at work and wanted to spend it on a surprise portrait of their Lab for her hubby. Sweet, huh?

Deborah Secor
08-04-2008, 10:55 PM
My kiddo had a good old fashioned ear infection and got out of the doctor's office for only $90, including a ten-day run of amoxicillin that was given to him at no charge! I think by getting started today my son will probably be fine for the Monday morning flight, but I know this kid and he'll go no matter what. "They have doctors in Macedonia, too, Mom..." :rolleyes:

Deborah

wakar
08-05-2008, 12:17 AM
How the Universe works:

The other day I realized I couldn't remember where I had put the pastel painting I'd been working on in class for the last month. I got busy and didn't think more about it. The next day I was cleaning my studio and realized it wasn't there. I looked EVERYWHERE - at least three times. Then, along with a churning in my gut, I remembered hearing an odd clanging noise that my truck had made a couple of days before. The painting was taped on to a drawing board and I remember coming down the stairs from class with it. So the only explanation was that when I packed up my truck after class, I had not removed it from the top if the cab where I'd placed it while loading all the other stuff. Once home I unpacked in bits and pieces that day and the next and it just didn't register that the painting wasn't there. So, somewhere in Sebastopol there's a drawing board and a no doubt battered pastel painting. But exactly where I have no idea and have not been able to get back there and look around.

Part 2: Someone was selling two different Unison 36 pastel sets on ebay. The auction ended Sunday. I had a max bid in on one and was going to bid at the last minute on the other. But an art buddy was over that day and we were having so much fun making ATCs that I forgot all about it. One set sold for about $4 less than what I'd been going to bid and the other sold for $4 over my max bid. I was bummed as the prices they went for were pretty good. Well, shortly after that I got an email from the seller that he had two more and I could buy them for the same price that they sold for in the auction. I was thrilled as otherwise they were definitely outside my price range.

So...all in all, though I was pleased with that pastel painting, I'll take the Unisons over it any day!

ElsieH
08-05-2008, 12:02 PM
:wave: Hi, All!
Wow! It's Grandma's, Mama's and Papa's all around!
My olderst daughter was 44 last week! and her daughter, Megan, will be 17 tomorrow! Senior in high school! Time flies when you're having a good time!:lol:

Oh, more on my other grandbaby: The cochlear implant it a Big Success!
Julia got out her flute and played it for him...he laughed and was delighted, she had to just keep on playing! When she sang songs to him, he signed "more, more, more!" :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
We are blessed!:heart:

Oh, state licence depts! Don't get me started! Hope all gets settled.

Old time doctors. Wish I had one! I remember as a kid he would come to the house whenever we were sick. Also, his office was a little room off his livingroom in his home! Those days are gone. Glad you find one, Deborah!Hope your son gets better and has a wonderful time on his mission trip! You can be very proud of him, Deborah!:heart:

New houses, moving, exciting things.:)
Happy Pastel Painting!

Deborah Secor
08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
:eek: Wakar, I've lost Bibles that way, but I always figure they'll get some use somewhere along the line--at least I hope so. Kewl that you will get the Unison pastels, though. Which set is it?

I should have told Dot that I go to another county to get my license. Albuquerque is the big city, lots of lines, but go north to the next county and you only wait if they don't have enough pictures to print your license... Well, that may not work for registrations. We haven't heard from her, so now I'm wondering if she had to set up a tent and cook out overnight to get things done. We don't call it 'the land of manana' for nothing! There's always tomorrow!

Oh, Elsie, how neat that your little kiddo is enjoying sound. How pleasant to think of him hearing a flute for the first time. :music:

My son is improving rapidly and will be on that plane on Monday. I'm delighted he's going. He loves Macedonia and is considering whether he should relocate there to do some work with the church... I was hoping he'd want to go somewhere closer, like Juarez, or anywhere on this continent, but who knows what the Lord has planned. I'm staying tuned to see! :wink2:

Deborah

IdahoHat
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Hello Everybody - What a busy week! The lost painting reminded me of a vacation we took with our daughter and g-daughter a few years ago. After starting out very early, we stopped for breakfast and daughter realized she had left her purse on the top of the car while she put her child in the car seat. Needless to say, we were all horrified. :eek: After calling a neighbor, he recovered her purse about a block down the street from our home, but the money (several hundred dollars in cash) was all gone. It must have been discovered by children on the way to school, because only the money was gone. Kind of ruined the trip for her. :(

Am in the midst of a pastel portrait that I have to stop and wait to take a couple of more photos of the subject. The original was fuzzy, cropped and blown up, so I can't see the mouth an upper lip area well enough. Won't be able to take the photos until Sunday. So, I'll start something else this morning, probably a market scene I've been wanting to do.

Deb - these young men are hard to keep down. My grandson, Caleb, is in Israel with a Continentals singing group. They were supposed to go to Ghana, but paperwork got mixed up and so now they are combined with another group that was already in Israel. What a wonderful opportunity! Here is a link with pictures taken before they left (he's the skinny redhead): http://continentalsingers.blogspot.com/ Haven't heard anything from them since they left Sunday morning.

May you all have a blessed and unstressed day,

Deborah Secor
08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Wow, that is so nifty, Harriett! He's cute...and what a great story on the blog. I love this: We (including God this time) have a plan!! :lol: I know that problem! Better to do it His way.

A dear friend of my son's, who is like another son to us, just retired from touring with the Jeremiah People, in the states mostly. Here's a link to a blog (http://www.blogger.com/profile/05714991100807900031)from last year. He's in the top left corner, dark hair. He went out on tour with them in high school and liked it so much that once he graduated he committed to it full time for several years. They hired him to do the sound. He loved it! He's finally fallen in love and is now going to school, but it was a wonderful opportunity for him. He's all the way down in Florida now--too far away, as far as I'm concerned--but happy. Hmmm, come to think of it, at least he's on the same continent! :thumbsup:

On another note--has anyone ever had ANTS in their computer? I'm not kidding, I have these red ants coming out of the keyboard of my laptop!! This house seems to have a lot of ants and apparently the computer is attractive for some reason. No, I don't eat over it much, so it isn't food. They seem to have infested it in my closet, of all things. I have to go check the backpack and see if it's got something in it I'm unaware of. Nasty having these little critters emerge. I got out the spray air right away but that didn't really get them. Wonder what I should do...any thoughts?? (I know, I know--computer 'bug' jokes not needed! :lol:)

Deborah

Tressa
08-06-2008, 08:01 PM
you need to defragg and debug:p

ok, ok...I got these little liquid containers at Walmat that the ants crawled in, took the stuff back to their house, and bye bye...gone in about 24 hours. And it can sit by your computer, is like a little clear half circle. ( mine were on the counter, and that is where I sat the buggy juice)

CJMonty
08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
No idea about how to get rid of the ants in your compuor Deborah, but would like to wish your son all the very best on his Mission.

I have been knitting jumpers for Orphans in the Caucasus Region which I believe is around Russia, Croatia and Turkey. I am on jumper number 8 just now and started mid June and have until end of August. I believe it is an Annual thing so maybe I'll just keep knitting throughout the year, it is certainly making good inroads into all that spare wool I have lying around. I believe they pick a different area each year. It is run by Guardian Chemists.

I haven't been around for awhile, although I have been lurking to see what you have all been upto. I haven't actually been getting very much of anything done at the moment as I am battling an extremely bad chest infection and am trying very hard to stay out of hospital. We've been doing chest physio here at home and on a double dose of antibiotics and hoping and praying that I don't actually end up with pneumonia.

Elsie I am so pleased as you all must be that your grandsons Chochlear Implant has been such a success.

Keep well everyone and I will keep you up to date.
Lots of Love Carolynn :) :) :heart: :heart:

chewie
08-07-2008, 01:26 AM
he can hear, that is beyond wonderful!!!!!! praises praises!!!

so many babies this week! some days i still dont' feel ready to be a mom...ooops, too late!

we are done with 4H, whew. and, *drum roll please*....we got grand champion dairy goat! whoohooo!!! our dogs both places well, as did the other goats too. my DD's are thrilled! busy times, but went very well. it was nice to hear that what we'd been working towards 'hit the mark'.

so now i am just so happy to have time to relax, settle down and PAINT. its been sooo long, way too long. i have commissions to do, and galleries that want some certain type things. i am just aching to do my own thing for a while.

heading to bed, to sleep til late! ahhh....

wakar
08-07-2008, 01:59 AM
:eek: Wakar, I've lost Bibles that way, but I always figure they'll get some use somewhere along the line--at least I hope so. Kewl that you will get the Unison pastels, though. Which set is it?

Deborah

Deborah - Yeah, I hope it's found by someone who needed a drawing board. The pastel sets I got are the 36 starter set, the 18 darks and 18 lights. That seems like a good combination. I have a few Unisons and really like them.

Anyway, today at class I pulled out a pic I'd started before and went back to work on it. It's a made up one with no phot reference so it's a bit of a challenge, but that's the way to learn!

Wakar

Shirl Parker
08-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Deborah, one very effective ant treatment is "Terro Ant Killer". You may find it at your supermarket. It comes as a liquid which you drop on a small piece of cardboard and set near the ant trail. It also comes in a box with 6 pre-filled traps which you set out the same way. The advantage with the traps is that they are covered and you don't risk setting your coffee cup on top of them and having the liquid on the cardboard stick to the bottom of your cup. :)

The ants eat from this stuff and then go back to the nest like Tressa mentioned, and kill off the others there with the food.

I am constantly fighting ants here. Recently they invaded my traveling art case, going after a foil wrapped chocolate covered cherry someone gave me. Yuk:mad:

Deborah Secor
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I have Terro and it is the best! It's all over my house. I love that it's totally safe to use around people and animals--just boric acid and syrup. I was a little baffled about how to set a trap near my laptop, though, since it goes a lot of different places in the house, but I think I caught things in time. Apparently they had gotten into the backpack I carry it in, so I took the computer out and put it in a plastic bag overnight instead. Then I scrubbed out the backpack and will check it before putting the laptop there again. It was so weird having these little red ants emerge from my keyboard! I did some research and it seems they like the warmth and since people eat at the computer there is often a lot of debris under the keys, too. Warmth and food. Home to an ant... :eek: Then again, maybe that's why I like it here, too.... :lol:

Deborah

IdahoHat
08-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Tressa - Ha Ha! Knew someone couldn't resist the debug jokes.

Yes, Elsie - we're so glad about the cochlear implant! What a miracle! And now he can hear music.

Sounds like the little ant bait deal should work, Deborah. Your son's friend is a nice looking young man. We have seen the Jeremiah People as well and they are awesome.
Carolyn - I do pray you get better. You need to be well and paint.

Went out to plein aire paint today and I wasn't in the mood. Did one 5x7, felt too hot and came back home. Maybe another day. I already had a painting at home in the studio I'm working on, so that's what I'll do after lunch.

Have a great day, everyone.

Artistammy
08-07-2008, 07:42 PM
My Mother & I have been to the gym 4 days this week. Maybe you won't recognize my body by next week. lol
I've been printing some photos of my paintings so I can go look for a business to put up my artwork for the 1st Friday Art Trail. I think I'm done. eek: That means I've actually got to go & talk to them. I hate that part.
Tammy

HarvestMoon
08-08-2008, 02:20 PM
I am having a blast at the new watermedia forum....and just wrote an article there about using pastels to plan your paintings....

have a look....:wave: :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7029373#post7029373

HarvestMoon
08-08-2008, 06:42 PM
If you had an interest in the Cool new rolling tote bag....I finally added pictures!!!

have a good one...

Tressa
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Just popped in for a second to say hi. My surgery went well, but am sore and swollen, and some pain, but not too bad. I probably won't be back on here today tho, so everyone have a great Sat! I 'm off to sit back with an ice pack!
Tressa

Deborah Secor
08-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Surgery? Hope you stay comfortable, Tress... Take care.

Well, today is the day. My mom is moving in with us. We haven't lived with one another since I was 18. This should be interesting... :wave:

Deborah

Tressa
08-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks Deborah, I had minor facial and eye surgery, but it feels and looks worse than it is:rolleyes: Two black and swollen eyes:eek:
Hope your Mom's move is smooth and stress free.
Tres