PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Nibs

edtree
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
:wave:Hello Calligraphers!

I wandered over here from the Acrylic forum to say hello and ask a question. After about a decade, I dug out my folder from a class I took on lower-case Italic Calligraphy. Among the papers, I could not find the information on cleaning the nibs. If my memory serves, I should be using amonia and water? Could someone give me the thumbs up or down on this, and if it is amonia and water how much amonia do I use?

Once I finish brushing up on Italic, I will be back as I want to learn some of the other hands offered here, already in progress. Calligraphy is something I really enjoy and hope to incorperate it into my artwork/paintings as time goes by.

Thank you kindly in advance for the answer to my question. :D

Elizabeth

TessDB
08-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi, Elizabeth! :wave:

I'm not a calligrapher, so we'll hope someone who actually knows what they're talking about will wander through sometime soon... :o

Soo... while we're waiting? Care for a cuppa coffee? Tea?
And I did find this article on Nib Care (http://hans.presto.tripod.com/cat017.html) that might help... Looking forward to seeing some of your work here!

Rosemary

edtree
08-03-2008, 07:37 AM
:wave: Good Morning Rosemary! Long as you have the coffee pot on, I'd love a cup! :lol:

Thanks for the great link on nib care. I've book marked it. Guess my worry was that I would ruin my nibs by using too much ammonia. Though not stated exactly, it appears from the article that I should be using equal parts with water.

I would be happy to show some of my calligraphy, sad as it is, lol, and maybe I will post the alphabet when I'm done practicing. I've got about 6 or 7 letters to go. We never did get to capitals in the class so those will undoubtedly take longer. Fun though. Thank you for your interest! I'll try and get over here and peek in at what everyone else is creating too as well.

Thanks a bunch for your response and for the coffee! :D

Elizabeth

TessDB
08-03-2008, 07:45 AM
:wave: Good Morning Rosemary! Long as you have the coffee pot on, I'd love a cup! :lol:

:lol: The coffee pot is *always* on. The resulting shaky hands are the primary reason my Calligraphy is god-awful. That and I have *no* patience! :lol:

This forum can be a little sleepy at times... so patience is a virtue. :)
Kim (Hiraeth) has started an ongoing project/challenge of doing a letter a week-- Might help to keep you motivated. :D

Rosemary

Hiraeth
08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
I must've missed this thread when my son was in the hospital.

The proper cleaning of nibs depends upon what kind of ink you are using. I think everyone has their own way of cleaning their nibs. Here is mine.

Cardinal Rule: Always clean nibs as soon as you are finished with them.

For water based inks, a quick rinse in water and the a shake in a capped bottle full of Windex is sufficient most of the time. Rinse well under hot, running water and blow air through them and then air dry on paper toweling.

For acrylic inks and India ink, I use an ultra-sonic cleaner. Three minutes in a solution of ammonia and a drop or two of Dawn, then rinse well in hot water and drain on paper towels. If you see any evidence of ink soaking into the paper towel, three more minutes in the ultra-sonic cleaner. I also keep some Koh-i-noor Pen Cleaner on hand for stubborn cases--a 50/50 solution of solution and water.

To make using the ultra-sonic cleaner easier and to save on expensive pen cleaner, I place two small glass bottles in the water bath--one for acrylics, one for India Ink--and drop the nibs into the small bottles as soon as I am done with them. This saves having to change the water as often and I can put different solutions in the small bottles depending upon the type of ink I am using. I put a few drops of bleach in the water bath to keep it from "growing stuff." In this way, I can change the water in the small bottles every day (or several times a day) without having to unplug the device and empty it.

Here's a photo to help you visualize what I am talking about. As you can see, the bottle on the left is set up for acrylic and the one on the right for, in this case, Koh-i-noor Rapidograph (ultradraw) ink.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2008/144882-ink_bath.jpg

:wave:Hello Calligraphers!

I wandered over here from the Acrylic forum to say hello and ask a question. After about a decade, I dug out my folder from a class I took on lower-case Italic Calligraphy. Among the papers, I could not find the information on cleaning the nibs. If my memory serves, I should be using amonia and water? Could someone give me the thumbs up or down on this, and if it is amonia and water how much amonia do I use?

Once I finish brushing up on Italic, I will be back as I want to learn some of the other hands offered here, already in progress. Calligraphy is something I really enjoy and hope to incorperate it into my artwork/paintings as time goes by.

Thank you kindly in advance for the answer to my question. :D

Elizabeth

quills
08-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Excellent advice many people don't know about Ammonia and Acrylic.