View Full Version : Drawing BIG question (paper/board)

08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
ok im getting bored with my smallish 9x11's and wanta go BIG. I LOVE the Artspect colourfix paper, and not a fan of Wallis. Id like to do 24x36ish stuff. Any suggestions? I do use the colourfix ground, so I can gator board etc. but what paper similar to the artspec is that big or bigger?

Am I doomed to use colourfixed gatorboard?

Deborah Secor
08-01-2008, 03:37 PM
"Doomed"? Sounds like a dandy option to me... :wink2: You don't have to use GatorBoard--try masonite, cotton canvas, watercolor paper or just plain old 4-ply rag board.


08-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Richard

How about the 27 3/4 X 39 inch AS paper for sale at Dakota? They also have that size in their boards. They also have 19 1/2 X 27 3/4 in paper and board.


08-01-2008, 04:03 PM
I used to get the large sheets of Art Spectrum at Hobby Lobby- they had the huge sheets and had it frequently for 1/2 off!!! Now they do not seem to carry it...

so looks like Jerry's has big size AS too...it is my favorite paper

08-01-2008, 04:05 PM
oh- you might just CONSIDER the price of glass frames and matts for larger works first....I have cut down myself because of the cost of framing- I love the big sheets- but trying to frame them killed me...

08-01-2008, 05:32 PM
You can always try watercolor paper - comes in large sizes and in rolls.


Paula Ford
08-01-2008, 05:52 PM
How about Ampersand Pastelbord?? It comes in big sizes and is easily framed with spacers. The texture is wonderful. I find though that the white has my favorite texture.

08-03-2008, 06:27 PM

You can also get something like a stiffer watercolor paper, museum rag, acid free mat board, or masonite and use a possible combination of gesso with a medium like Golden's Pumice Gel, ArtSpectrum Colorfix Primer, or mix up your own version of a pumice medium and apply to the surface. Usually, this makes a bit of a more irregular surface, but I like that. There are a few threads that have various artist's mixtures - you might find them if you look for pumice, but if you want to go that route and can't find them, let me know and I'll send you some recipes for pumice mixtures. If I remember correctly, when the Art Spectrum guys came to a MAPS meeting a few years ago, they mentioned that the ColorFix is on a watercolor paper or rag foundation - it looks like it might be a hot press type maybe. Hope this helps too.

08-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys :) got it ordered :)

Paula Ford
08-03-2008, 10:58 PM
What did you decide to get?