PDA

View Full Version : August 2008 Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge

sparkling
08-01-2008, 03:38 AM
Welcome to the August Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge.
I will be supplying two photos for you to work from. As you voted and wished one of them is an animal the other one a seascape :lol:. You can do one or both. As usually you are invited to be creative with the images - you can crop them, resize them, change colours and interpret them in any way you like.

Unfortunately the RIL still doesn't work properly, so I cannot upload the images there. If you are in need of bigger images, please let me know this and I will try to provide you with bigger ones.

Here is the seascape a wee bit larger (http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i233/Sharkyra/seascape02.jpg)

Pat Isaac
08-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks so much for hosting the challenge this month, Silvia. I'll stickie this now. Great images.

Pat

truck driver
08-01-2008, 08:38 AM
OK for real you got me, will start working on both of these.. will quit procrastinating and will break out oil pastels... will put pen down..... even though first image is begging to be drawn in pen. will resist and do it in oil pastel. yes I will.. now where did I put my pen.. ;)

RG

truck driver
08-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Need the kitty cats bigger plz how can i draw them in pen, umm I mean oil pastels if there not just a bit bigger .... now wheres my ink.. :)

Scarefishcrow
08-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Need the kitty cats bigger plz how can i draw them in pen, umm I mean oil pastels if there not just a bit bigger .... now wheres my ink.. :)

RG, I have a solution for you. Do them in both pen AND OP. You've got a whole month, my friend!

Silvia: GREAT photos. Did you take them? They are beautifully composed and should make for a great challenge. Thanks for hosting this month.

BILL:thumbsup:

eyepaint
08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Wonderful photos! Thanks for hosting! I still have my OPs out from scrambling to do the July project yesterday so I think I'll dive right into this one.

sparkling
08-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Pat, thank you very much. I'm glad to be able to host this project his month :))!

RG, glad you decided to join us this month :D! If it was after me, I would be fine with a pen drawing as well, but you know, the rules say it has to be OPs... at least the major part :p, but I agree with Bill, you could do both a pen drawing and a OP painting :lol: ).
Here is a bigger pic of the two lion ladies (http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i233/Sharkyra/lion-1.jpg?t=1217617227). Although, I'm afraid that you won't get much more details even with a bigger photo, because I have taken this pic from a far distance (guess you can imagine why) and the zoom of this camera isn't the best.

Bill, thanks for the compliments. Yes, I have taken these photos myself. (Hey, I thought this was part of the rules after all ?! ;) )
The first one I titled "Lioness Queen" was taken last spring in the Hamburg Zoo.
The second one was taken some time in fall last year somewhere in the Mediterranean Sea near the Spanish coast.

EP, I'm glad you like the pics and decided to join us this month, too :wave: .
Can't wait to see your finished painting :D ...

Bars
08-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Glad to be back again. I think I will have a go at the lions, even if it is ot of my league. Cheers to you all Bars

Scarefishcrow
08-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Glad to be back again. I think I will have a go at the lions, even if it is ot of my league. Cheers to you all Bars

Welcome Bars!! If it was in your league then it would be a Challenge! That's the idea, expanhd your horizons, you might surprise yourself at what you can do.

Bill:thumbsup:

eyepaint
08-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Here we go. A crop of one of the majestic big cats.

Limited palette Sennelier (6 colours or so) on 7x10" Strathmore smooth "art paper"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2008/96240-IMGP4841.jpg

Cheers,

sparkling
08-02-2008, 03:50 AM
Bars, welcome to the challenge. :wave:

Gosh, EP, now that was fast! :)
I like your limited palette paintings and the way you play and have fun with bold colors (but I think I've told you this a couple of times already...:D )

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Love the yellow and rusty tones, EP. Great sketch of one of the big cats.

Pat Isaac
08-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Wow, that was fast, EP, though you indicated that you were going to get right to it. Great colors with your limited palette. Amazing.

Pat

eyepaint
08-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Silvia, Bill, and Pat - thank you.

I think my cat looks a bit sad or lonely ... I wonder if I can insert the other cat into the left of the paper? Hmmm.

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Silvia, Bill, and Pat - thank you.

I think my cat looks a bit sad or lonely ... I wonder if I can insert the other cat into the left of the paper? Hmmm.

Just turn up the corners of its mouth into a smile, EP.

Simple solutions from simple minds!!!:lol:

thermanj
08-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Congratulations on being the first to exhibit, EP. Your cat shows two of my favorite qualities of OP's, spontaneity and vibrancy of color.

I received my new OP's yesterday, but I have been busy being Grandpa to my two Granddaughters, ages 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. Tomorrow I will be able to start on one of these great challenges. I really like the seascape, now where did I put all the blues......?

Therman

Pat Isaac
08-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Hope you'll enjoy your new OPs Therman. Grandchildren are a joy and they do grow so fast. Looking forward to your post...

Pat

eyepaint
08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Just turn up the corners of its mouth into a smile, EP.

Simple solutions from simple minds!!!:lol:

Ok here you go, Bill:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/96240-IMGP4841-2.jpg

Cheers,

eyepaint
08-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Congratulations on being the first to exhibit, EP. Your cat shows two of my favorite qualities of OP's, spontaneity and vibrancy of color.

I received my new OP's yesterday, but I have been busy being Grandpa to my two Granddaughters, ages 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. Tomorrow I will be able to start on one of these great challenges. I really like the seascape, now where did I put all the blues......?

Therman

Thanks, Therman. I - er - I might have taken all your blue OP ...

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2008, 05:14 PM

Therman

Congrats on those new OP's you sly :evil: .

EP, I'm not sure if you are jerking my chain or not:rolleyes: :lol: :lol: , but the corners of her mouth seem happier!

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Therman. I - er - I might have taken all your blue OP ...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/108067-laughter2.gif

AND TO THINK, I ALMOST OVERLOOKED THIS!!!! GOOD ONE, EP, GOOD ONE!

Pat Isaac
08-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Definitely happier...yea...:D EP.....http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/35760-dancing-woohoo-goldblack.gif really good one, we all missed it.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Actually, Therman, if you can't find those blue OP's, EP may not have been kidding!! Once you have seen enough of her art you'll understand!:lol:

Bill

eyepaint
08-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Joking aside, here's an update. I edited the mouth and the sides of the snout on the original cat and I added her friend. This is approx. 7x12" (The paper was 9x12" but part of it tore so now it's narrower ... almost landscape mode ... eek I should have used this paper for the seascape! What was I thinking?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/96240-IMGP4846.JPG

Cheers,

Scarefishcrow
08-02-2008, 06:02 PM
EP, these are great renderings. And I think you have caught just the right position of the mouth, all joking aside. :thumbsup:

Bill

(However, Therman, check on those blue OP's before it's too late:lol: )

Pat Isaac
08-02-2008, 06:11 PM
I love it, they go well together.

Pat

GhettoDaveyHavok
08-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Joking aside, here's an update. I edited the mouth and the sides of the snout on the original cat and I added her friend. This is approx. 7x12" (The paper was 9x12" but part of it tore so now it's narrower ... almost landscape mode ... eek I should have used this paper for the seascape! What was I thinking?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/96240-IMGP4846.JPG

Cheers,

Aw, that is just too cute. :heart::heart::heart:

eyepaint
08-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Bill, Pat, and Crystal - thank you :)

sparkling
08-03-2008, 02:52 AM
EP, they're looking so cute together :). And what a lovely smile on the daughter's face...:thumbsup:

Therman, welcome to the challenge :wave: , hope you'll enjoy painting the seascape. (But I guess with new OPs it is fun anyway :wink2: :lol: )

I'm going to start my own painting, too, as soon as I'm back home again.

Bars
08-03-2008, 03:59 AM
:music: Here is my attempt, I cannot get a very realistic picture with OP's but it is fun trying Cheers Bars

sparkling
08-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Oh my, you're all so fast... don't know why I've got the strange feeling that you all will be done before I even get to start...

Bars, well, I don't know how you might think about it, but I'm of the opinion that there is no need to be too realistic. Think it was Picasso who said that painter should paint what they feel and not what they see. And that said I really like the way you rendered this picture, especially that purple/yellow contrast. :thumbsup:

Pat Isaac
08-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Great job, Bars and you did the whole image! I like the pattern of the background against the lions.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-03-2008, 11:52 AM
:music: Here is my attempt, I cannot get a very realistic picture with OP's but it is fun trying Cheers Bars

Bars, great job. Think about this, if we wanted realism we already have the photo!! It is interesting that the really major break away from realist depictions in the nineteenth century were somewhat coincident with the development of photography! Once people no longer need to hire an artist to produce a "picture" of something or someone, there was more freedom to move in various directions over time that took some (not all) art in directions decidely away from realism.

In a nutshell. Who cares if it is not realistic if you enjoyed doing it, we enjoy seeing it, and it is an expression of you no matter what its relationship to the photo? The more you do the more your technical skills will increase. As they say, "You have to crawl before you walk!" We all have to.

Right!! I have begun to find the harder I try to be overly faithful to the photo reference the worse it seems to come out for me because I start "losing sight of the forest for the trees" and get hung up in details that are superfluous.

Why can't I ever just say, Nice job. Don't worry about being realistic????????:confused: :confused: Help me OBI WAN PAT!:lol:

sparkling
08-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Why can't I ever just say, Nice job. Don't worry about being realistic????????:confused: :confused: Help me OBI WAN PAT!:lol:

With the heart not with the eyes to perceive reality the Jedi has to learn. Then the Force guiding your hand will be.

Yoda-Silvia

:lol::lol::lol:

Pat Isaac
08-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Never fear, Yoda - Silvia and the Force are with you....

OBI WAN PAT :lol: :evil: :D

Scarefishcrow
08-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Never fear, Yoda - Silvia and the Force are with you....

OBI WAN PAT :lol: :evil: :D

Which brings to mind a very pertinent story I would like to relate.......

ATTN: THE OP GUIDE HAS BEEN DETAINED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT!

YODA!!!!

RainySea
08-03-2008, 05:53 PM
here is my attempt at the challenge. the brace on my wrist made it hard to do the details well u nfortunately. supposed to wear this thing two weeks. ugh. trying to add a big image but not shwoing so doing old way.

EP, love your smiling kitties . . . they look happy now to be together with a friend. Bars. . .what an undertaking to do the whole shot! good work.

Pat Isaac
08-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Just wonderful, Rainy and with a brace on your wrist!! You have captured the boat and sea well.

Pat

thermanj
08-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Great job, Rainy. What size is your picture? I'm having a hard time getting started on this......so much BLUE and so little time....

Therman

RainySea
08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks Pat and Therman. It is 5 x 7 on hot press watercolor paper using caran neopastels and one white senn.

Scarefishcrow
08-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Rainy, Fantastic job even with the brace on. Hope you mend quickly.

sparkling
08-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Rainy your seascape is beautiful with all those different shades of blue :D.

Scarefishcrow
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
This is obviously not complete, but I had a painting that wasn't working and decided to use it as the beginning from the sailboat painting. This is my underpainting done so far with Kama Oil Sticks, and my fingers. Yes, the green bias is real and somewhat purposeful at this point. I really want that bright red sail to leap off the canvas in contrast to the sea, land and sky all with the complementary bias. Support is apprx. 9x12 Arches 140lb water color paper. Suggestions welcome. Have to let it set at least a day before I dare lambast it with bright red.

After adding the boat I expect to adjust the green more toward the blue, particularly the sky, but didn't want to drown everything in blue until I had the boat blocked in. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2008/108067-StartSea.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
What an interesting start, Bill. The complementary green underneath should really help the red. When I work on colored paper I often choose a complement to the image.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks, Pat. I really like the texture you can produce with the oil stick. I left everything pretty much ill defined because I have a tendency too overcommit to early. I want to get the boat in and detailed after the Oil Stick drys. Only then do I want to go back very lightly define the island/sky border with a touch more blue in the sky. The green texture to the left of the land is supposed to suggest additional land in the background of the front mass.

Do you think that is working at this stage? Hardest part is going to be setting the scale of the boat so it's not to small or large.

Pat Isaac
08-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Yes, I think that is working, Bill.

Pat

sparkling
08-05-2008, 05:53 AM
Makes perfect sense, Bill. At least to me :lol: . And I think it looks already amazing the way it looks now.... I love that green color and I'm really curious to see how you will continue with this painting.

By the way, it is okay to post WIPs in the challenge threads, too? Well, then I'll post mine as WIP, too :D! (It's just so much more fun, well, I don't know how the other see this, but I love watching WIPs.)

RainySea
08-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Bill . . . great colors. Look forward to seeing your sailboat pop from the sea this month! :)

Scarefishcrow
08-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Makes perfect sense, Bill. At least to me :lol: . And I think it looks already amazing the way it looks now.... I love that green color and I'm really curious to see how you will continue with this painting.

By the way, it is okay to post WIPs in the challenge threads, too? Well, then I'll post mine as WIP, too :D! (It's just so much more fun, well, I don't know how the other see this, but I love watching WIPs.)

Silvia,

I'm curious to "sea" how I will continue with this painting! I am terrified of painting/drawing boats. They have such subtle curves and angles it's tricky to get them right.

I guess I never thought about it as WIP posting; I guess the Boss is the authority. Personally, I like to see how they progress and we sometimes see changes after people look at them. I guess that's my thinking. (But sometimes I don't think enough:lol: ).

Pat, what do you think. Should I not have posted this? I think I have in the past and didn't think about it.

Pat Isaac
08-05-2008, 11:46 AM
That's perfectly fine. We have had WIPs for the Challenge before. I like to see progression also.

Pat

serenasocean
08-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi Everyone :)

EP and Bars, your tigers are grrrrreat! I'm thinking of trying my hand (or Ops) at them too.

Rainy, you did a great job with the sails. I love the bright blues of the water too.

Bill, can't wait to see how your painting turns out. Will you scratch off the green background before you put down the red of the sails?

:)

sparkling
08-06-2008, 02:28 AM
Hi Serena, I hope you will enjoy painting the lion ladies :).

By the way, did I already tell you that I was quite undecided between the lions, a cute little elephant and a penguin for ref. Finally I've chosen the lions just because it's the current sign of the zodiac.

Finnegan18
08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
I love the smiling lion. Can't wait to see how they all turn out.

Scarefishcrow
08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Well, it may be anticlimactic, but here is the end result. I'm not happy with it, particularly in that I used too much dark in trying to delineate the background landmass and boats simply are one of those areas withere I need to continue to "push the limits of my comfort zone".

Simply overlayed mostly Senns and Holbeins on top of green. Scumbled with light blue to get some broken color. Correction from first post, this is CANSON Aquarelle Block, 140lb wc paper block with Kama Oilstick underpainting. 10x14.

Comments welcome and needed.

Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2008/108067-SmallEnd.jpg

Scarefishcrow
08-06-2008, 11:38 AM
After looking at the previous version, I decided I would use turp and smooth and shape the OP. This is the result.

Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2008/108067-smallsmooth.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I do like the smoother version better, Bill. The boat is nicely sailing through the water with the indication of some waves. The land mass is very confusing right now as it almost looks like part of the sky and the green area doesn't work with it. I'd either make the land mass all a subdued shape of greens or blues or purples rather than try to separate it. The red sail really does pop.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I do like the smoother version better, Bill. The boat is nicely sailing through the water with the indication of some waves. The land mass is very confusing right now as it almost looks like part of the sky and the green area doesn't work with it. I'd either make the land mass all a subdued shape of greens or blues or purples rather than try to separate it. The red sail really does pop.

Pat

I completely agree. I got way too much dark and it just began to grow as these thing sometimes do!:thumbsup:

Ironic that I was more worried about the boat and that came out better than the land and sky which I took for granted.

Lesson: never take anything for granted. Think about what you are doing!

Thanks, Pat.

eyepaint
08-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Silvia - thank you
Bars - great job tackling the entire image!
Rainy - thank you. Yours is a great seascape :)
Bill - it's gonna be interesting to see how you turn the green into blue :) Can you subract the yellow from it? Ah looks like a great start (post 54). The smoothed version (post 55) looks like an oil painting - wowee!
Serena - thank you

Cheers,

Scarefishcrow
08-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks, EP, I think? Why do something the easy way when you can do so many additional steps???:lol: Can I borrow some of that blue you stole from Therman???:lol:

Finnegan18
08-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey, I am getting a lot from your progress, Bill. Can't wait to see the blue from the green. You can do it - somehow. Can you scrape and reapply or have the turps sunk the color into the paper? Inquiring (and learning) minds want to know. Share the wisdom. :)

Scarefishcrow
08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey, I am getting a lot from your progress, Bill. Can't wait to see the blue from the green. You can do it - somehow. Can you scrape and reapply or have the turps sunk the color into the paper? Inquiring (and learning) minds want to know. Share the wisdom. :thumbsup:

The problem one faces using wc paper is that it is not as capable of taking repeated reworking as are sturdier supports or wc paper with good primed surface as a ground to work on. I can probably scrape back, but spreading with the turp tends to smooth out and thin the OP layer on top as well as consolidate it so that if you shift to using the softer OPs you can probably layer the color you want to ahcieve over what's already there. This poor piece of wc paper has seen its better days, that's for sure.

If it doesn't go well I'll simply take what I've learned and pull out a fresh sheet of colourfix or wallis and start over! It's only paper, you know!

Bill

RainySea
08-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Wow, interesting to see the two versions of your picture Bill, the before and after turps! I've never been brave enough to try it so far as I do remember the smell of it from my younger years when my Dad used it for stuff in his workshop. . . icky and strong smell to that stuff as I recall. Right?

But I do like what it did with your work. The second version looks *really* three dimensional to me. Like the boat is popping right out at me. Looks like its mist on the water and mountains... pretty cool really I think.

thermanj
08-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Bill, I like your 'smooth' version and I really like the boat. Like you, I kinda got ambushed by all the 'blue' in this challenge......guess that's why they call it a challenge.

Here's my contribution....on Canson Mi Tientes, white, using Crayola Oil Pastels, about 8 1/2 x 12 inches. I used three tints of blue, glazing the sky with light gray and lots of white. More blue on the land mass glazed with white, little bit of red and brown for the boat, and....more blue for the water, blended with paper stump,tiny bit of white glazing.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2008/147594-Seascape1.jpg
All C & C welcome,
Therman

Scarefishcrow
08-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Rainy and Therman.

Therman you did a great job on yours. I may "reboot" and start fresh since I was painting over a previous painting and the paper is getting a liittle unmanageble.

Bill

Scarefishcrow
08-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Boy, this is the month of damage control and disaster recovery from terrible bouts of bad judgement! This poor piece of wc paper was finally begging for mercy after having been poked, scrubbed, prodded, covered and recovered. So I promised it I would post this one last attempt and then let it rest in peace on the shelf. So, Red Sails in The Sunset, Take ????? Action.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2008/108067-smrecovery.jpg

paul444
08-07-2008, 05:52 AM
EP... Two great lions. They certainly look warm and inviting. Maybe lunch is on its way. :)

Bars... Great rendition of the lions, well done. As said, realism is not always important.

Rainy... Well done, the boat sits well in the water and you have good wave movement going on. Hope your wrist gets better soon.

Bill... The smoother version looks better to me too.
Its a good point to mention Bill, that all elements of the painting are important. The centre of interest can be expertly painted but if its surroundings are put in randomly without enough depth, tone,detail etc, then the painting will not work as a whole.

Therman... Well done. A great version of the sail boat.

paul444
08-07-2008, 06:00 AM
Well here's my boat.
Its 11 X 8 on ingress paper using mostly sennelier oil pastels.
I still have to work out how to do the small details using op's. Things like the ropes, thin lines. Any tips ?
C & C Welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2008/82968-red_sails.jpg

Scarefishcrow
08-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Bill... The smoother version looks better to me too.
Its a good point to mention Bill, that all elements of the painting are important. The centre of interest can be expertly painted but if its surroundings are put in randomly without enough depth, tone,detail etc, then the painting will not work as a whole.

Paul, Thanks so much for those words of wisdom. You are, indeed, absolutely correct and as a learner I sometimes get caught up in the trees and forget the forest. It is a challenge to learn to think of the whole and envision those "little details" that may seem minor but tip the balance from unconvincing to believable. I joke about my "disasters" this month, but from those disasters come knowledge. If we can realize why disaster struck then that helps, not prevents, us from having it strike the next time (at least in the same form). I need very much to develop greater patience and restraint. The impressionists I admire produced works, like Van Gogh, that seemed spontaneous and produced with instinct, but in reality that spontaneity, as Chris has been talking about other places on the forum, belies a deep planning and production of "controlled spontaneity".

The mind must also be holding the "brush" as well as the hand. In fact, I am reminded of Renoir, who in old age would often have to have his brushes tied to his arthritis deformed hands to paint, commenting once, "See, you don't even need hands to paint." Maybe he was telling us the mind is as, if not more, important to the success of a painting as are the hands.

I also want to compliment you on your painting where obviously both hand and mind were working in concert. Excellent job, as you alsways do.

Pat Isaac
08-07-2008, 08:09 AM
You did a great job with the boat and sea Therman, especially dealing with all the blues.
I like what you did with the background paul and I use oil pencils to get tiny details.
Much better, Bill. Background works better together. It's true that WC paper does not take the abuse that some of the sanded papers do.

Pat

thermanj
08-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks Bill, Paul, and Pat for your comments. This challenge reminded me of an old Merle Haggard song, "Everybody Gets The Blues Sometimes." :)

Paul, congratulations on a great job. By cropping in on the boat you were able to put much more detail in your painting. I know on my picture I just couldn't get much detail in the boat and occupants. On the other hand, you have brought the scene to life. Looking at our two versions helps me to recognize the limitations of the oil pastel sticks. Bigger subjects = easier detail. Thank you for the demonstration.

Therman

Scarefishcrow
08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks, Pat.
After all, it is called a "challenge", right?:lol:

Like Autumn Sunlight, time to move on.

Scarefishcrow
08-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Paul,

After looking at your painting again I realized something. You painted the picture that I WANTED to but didn't (couldn't??). I really like the subtle suggested detail in the boat. Very good job.:clap:

Finnegan18
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM
[quote=RainySea]Wow, interesting to see the two versions of your picture Bill, the before and after turps! I've never been brave enough to try it so far as I do remember the smell of it from my younger years when my Dad used it for stuff in his workshop. . . icky and strong smell to that stuff as I recall. Right?

Rainy, try Daler Rowney Low Odor Thinners or Turpenoid Natural (I believe I am getting those names right but you can go to Dickblick.com and look up no odor or low odor thinners). I have thinners right under my nose sometimes and it doesn't bother me. I love the job you did and you got yours blended without them but if you are interested in turps and hate the smell - well, give those I mentioned a try.
Therman and Bill I think you did a great job. I love Therman's blues and I think that Bill really saved his with the green. Made your sails pop. Hey, I learned a lot from yours so if it didn't come out the way you wanted at least someone gained from it (I imagine you did too) and in the end, it came out pretty cool. Some artistic license on the green hill but hey, we have the photo if we want a blue mountain.
Paul, your OP painting is amazing. You too, took some artistic license with the mountains but it only made your painting better. The only advice I have for you is that when you put the rigging in be very careful not to overdo. When I look at the reference photo all I can see is the main line from the top rigging that goes over the side in a half-loop and then back up. I think people that produce art on a level like yours often overdo the fine details (maybe because they can) and destroy a masterpiece. In my opinion, your OP is a masterful rendering. I am a wee baby beginner in OP but I believe yours could be hung anywhere just the way it is.

Scarefishcrow
08-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Lisa is correct about the low odor thinners. In fact, what I used was Turpenoid, but there are others like Sansodor that have even less of an odor. There are also a variety of citrus based turpene thinners that are on the market and have a citrus (organge) smell.

sparkling
08-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Paul, how did you only do this painting... there are more details in your picture than in the ref photo :eek: ...that's amazing :clap:
Sorry, but I can't help with details as I'm terribly bad at them myself :o. Only advice I've been told over and over again is to you CPs or oil pencils.

Therman, your painting captured those different shades of blue very well, so glad you finally found enough blue OPs for this job :wink2: :thumbsup:

Bill, I understand you are suffering, but I still enjoy watching your progress :wink2:. So what if this painting didn't turn out quite the way you wanted. I'm sure you will be more pleased with your next one. At least I hope so :angel:
BTW, the picture wasn't taken at sunset. At least not in complete sunset. It was actually taken one hour before sunset :evil: and I like this creative liberty you have taken on the Red Ensign... it looks just so different now :evil: :lol: :wink2:

Scarefishcrow
08-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Bill, I understand you are suffering, but I still enjoy watching your progress :wink2:. So what if this painting didn't turn out quite the way you wanted. I'm sure you will be more pleased with your next one. At least I hope so :angel:
BTW, the picture wasn't taken at sunset. At least not in complete sunset. It was actually taken one hour before sunset :evil: and I like this creative liberty you have taken on the Red Ensign... it looks just so different now :evil: :lol: :wink2:

Thanks, Silvia. I must be projecting frustration without knowing it. You know, I really don't feel badly about my efforts. I admit that there was a time in my life when such setbacks would have been devastating, but one of the great things I have learned here in such a short time from the support of everyone is that it is the process of learning that is equally important as the end product. I stumbled across a marvelous quote that I placed in the "comfort zone" thread I think everyone should think about because it really captures the essence of why "failures" are as important as "successes". They both teach us something. No matter how a work turns out there is a lesson to be learned only if you are willing and receptive.

Here's a link to the quote if anyone is interested:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7024682&postcount=39

I no longer fear posting work that I know is flawed. But it helps because others point out the flaws and validate that I am learning to self critique. If any of us ever things we will finally Master our medium, we are only fooling ourselves. Those that seem Masters to us that are less skilled are probably just as critical of what we view as a materpiece. As our skill increases our goals should too. If we ever reach the point where we are happy with our level then it seems we will most likely lose that spark that makes works reverberate with others. Disappointed, sure. Wish I had done better, of course. In pain and suffering, i can honestly say no, something I couldn't have said in February. Now that's what I call progress. it may be slow, but I've got the rest of my life to work on it and more mentors than one could possibly hope for.

I may sound like a circus barker sometime, but this forum is special and that comes from the people that populate it and join us every day.

How can you help but learn with help and encouragement like we get and give here!!

paul444
08-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Bill, Pat, Therman, Lisa and Silvia, Thank you for your kind comments.

I will have to get some of those oil pencils. I have to improve on those details.
I always used to draw / paint small ( thinking it would be easier :rolleyes: ). Then during an art class I was told that that the bigger you draw it, the easier the details are to draw. A great lesson to remember and so true.
Lisa, I totally agree with you about the rigging, but that was the thinnest I could get it at the time. I'll have to work on that. :)
As for the ' masterful rendering ' I thank you, but are we looking at the same painting ?? I'm sure I blushed but with no mirror near I can't be sure. :lol: .

I made the details up to help me out of the large blue masses.
Artistic license is great and should be used to get yourself out of any tight spots you find yourself in.

Bill - a great quote and so true.
When ever I finish a piece I love it, the next day I like it, the following day all I can see is faults and things I would do differently.
The time scale is of course flexible and some times its only hours. :lol:

Pat Isaac
08-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Paul, that is so true about learning and it is also a great benchmark into knowing that you are definitely growing. I gave my sister a painting of mine years ago which I thought was just great and now every time I go to her house and see it I think...:eek: that is so bad and I want to "fix" it. She says Okay, I like it and you can't touch it, just do another.... That's what it is all about. Shows you are growing....

Pat

Finnegan18
08-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Bill, it was masterful, and I am glad I can still make a man blush. :)
I like to encourage people but I hate false sentiment. I think a compliment should be sincere and heartfelt to have any real meaning.
You and I have the opposite problem. I usually come to love my work over time. The longer I have it the more reluctant I am to part with it. I usually spot the flaws in the first day or two. I am in agony when I first finish something. I always wonder if I need to do more. I make myself quit at that point, I find later I am glad I did. Oh, the agony at first. Anyway, I loved the artistic license you took..

Scarefishcrow
08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Bill, it was masterful, and I am glad I can still make a man blush. :)
I like to encourage people but I hate false sentiment. I think a compliment should be sincere and heartfelt to have any real meaning.
You and I have the opposite problem. I usually come to love my work over time. The longer I have it the more reluctant I am to part with it. I usually spot the flaws in the first day or two. I am in agony when I first finish something. I always wonder if I need to do more. I make myself quit at that point, I find later I am glad I did. Oh, the agony at first. Anyway, I loved the artistic license you took..

Lisa,

You are truly a kind person and your compliments mean a lot to me. I may have overacted the suffering artist part, I am a bit of a ham (as long as I can be seemingly anonymous). Actually, I understand what you are saying about your art. I occasionally do something I think isn't that good. When I finish something I tend to take it into the living room, prop it up on the piano where the music goes and shine the music light down on it to get an idea what it looks like under "gallery" simulated conditions. I usually leave it there a few days and sometimes what I though was awful starts to grow on me. I have almost everything I have ever done and sometimes it is eye openning to go back and see how far you have come when you start feeling like you are not getting anywhere.

Growth is a slow process and it becomes most obvious when viewed in comparison to where you have been at times separated by significant periods.

The other thing that seems important is that everyone may say do one thing, but it seems you should not do something simply because it seems like that's what everyone says to do. At some point you have to begin to develop a sense of what you want to do with a work. It is, after all, an expression of you, not everyone else. Doesn't mean you shouldn't consider suggestions, but begin to decide if they are things you want to follow or not.

I think almost every artist is at least a wee bit insecure, no matter how pompous I ....uh... they may sound.

serenasocean
08-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Hello everyone,

I finished my contribution to this month's challenge. I'm not completely happy with it, but here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2008/65034-001.JPG

I wish that I had drawn the head of the lioness higher up, as now I feel like I have too much blank space above her head. I tried putting in some shadow. What do y'all think? I took a page out of Bill's book and originally had a green background, so you may notice a green halo around her.

I thoroughly enjoyed the process though, and painting the lioness was fun. Thanks, Silvia, for hosting this month's challenge:thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
08-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Serena,

I think this is wonderfully done. IMHO, I don't think you would want to have the linoness' head closer to the top as that would make the composition seem cramped and wedged into too small a space. I think the darker shadow at the top is far more effective and give a more regal look to this large cat than to have the frame filled. To me the way you have done this and modelling of the face and folds of skin are great. A portrait worthy of this "Queen of the Jungle"!

Great job. Also love the contrast between the white highlights and yellow ochreous tones of the folds of fur.

Finnegan18
08-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Serena, I could not agree with Bill more.

Pat Isaac
08-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Serena she is wonderful. So proud and majestic. I don't mind the space at the top of her head, gives her space and the colors are perfect and I like all the textures of the fur.

Pat

serenasocean
08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Thank you Bill, Lisa and Pat. You guys are so wonderfully encouraging. I guess I wanted her to appear more life-like, but y'all are making me like her more :)

Thanks also for your opinions on the background. I think I'll leave it the way it is :)

Scarefishcrow
08-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Thank you Bill, Lisa and Pat. You guys are so wonderfully encouraging. I guess I wanted her to appear more life-like, but y'all are making me like her more :)

Thanks also for your opinions on the background. I think I'll leave it the way it is :)

More lifelike??? Anymore lifelike Serena and she would leapt off the screen and eaten all three cats and mauled the dog!!!! :clap:

truck driver
08-10-2008, 03:05 AM
I've got a problem, I need to add the boat, but I think the little boat would capsize in my picture..

RGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2008/136518-island..jpg

truck driver
08-10-2008, 03:10 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2008/136518-island..jpg

sorry about umm whatever that was below..
same problem if i put the boat in, its in trouble..
rg

paul444
08-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Serena,

A great lioness. The space above her head is fine and as already mentioned stops the painting looking cramped.
I think the eyes are particularly well done as are the folds in her skin.
Well done. :thumbsup:

RG

These little boats can take a lot of bad weather so put it in. I'm sure it will be fine.
If not, you can always depend on the coastguard for assistance. :)

Pat Isaac
08-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I'd put it in, RG. It's tipped in the picture so it will work fine and just add a little foamy wave.
BTW. I like the the sky and textured land mass. Did you use your new Senns?

Pat

RainySea
08-10-2008, 11:49 AM
That is a beautiful lioness Serena!

RainySea
08-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Lisa and Bill, thanks for the helpful advice on the turps! I may pick up one of those and give it a try. . . want to esplore all the ways to use these for sure.

upnorthtim
08-10-2008, 12:32 PM
OK...I'm playing too! Here is my version of the seascape at the moment. I interpreted the lower sky area as a fog bank and threw a little pink color in ..just because I could! I started with a wash of watercolors to block in the main color areas first. Details inside the boat are a little fuzzy and I'm not sure what to do. I have some oil pencils but maybe suggestions of the interior are all that are needed? C&C please!

Thanks for looking, Tim

9 x 12 inches, on canson cp watercolor paper. Cray-Pas and Sennelier.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2008/133319-onthebay.jpg

serenasocean
08-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Thank you Paul :)

Scarefishcrow
08-10-2008, 02:44 PM
RG, Good start, particularly since I know you didn't peek at the picture again! I agree, go ahead and put the boat in; what's the fun in having a sailboat if there isn't going to be some healthy breezes???

Tim,

Very good job on your painting. I like what you did with the pinks in the fog bank and it gives some unity with the red of the sail to the painting.

It's probably just my untrained eye, but the brightness of the boat interior seems, IMHO, to somehow compete for the greatest attention when I look at this piece. I'm not sure how the best way to approach the might be, perhaps add some cast shadows toward the front since it seems that would be consistent with the sunlight direction striking the occupants of the boat.
(PS: for some strange reason, I looked at the image again and the interior of the boat doesn't seem as bright as it did; don't know if my eyes are going or my monitor, so maybe others will see this differently. It's a minor point anyway).

I also really like the small waves and whitecaps you created and you really got a good sense of the breeze by combining that with the ever so subtle tilt of the boat, hull, mast, and shadowing on the sails to give a real sese this boat has caught a really stout breeze.

You are making impressive progress rapidly with OP. You should feel pleased with yourself.

Pat Isaac
08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Nice painting, Tim and I like your interpretation of a fog bank and the boat skimming along. I think you only need a suggestion of the interior, not a lot but something.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Tim, ignore my comments on the tone of the boat interior for the most part because I think my esyes and monitor deceived me. The more I look at it the less obvious it seems compared to when I first looked. I really, really like those little wavelets with just a hint of an sea green in them. It looks great.

wildart129
08-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Everyones work is looking fantastic so far.:clap: :thumbsup:

After seeing the photo of the lions, I knew I had to do this months challenge. I'm only doing the lioness because I like her pose. I do a lot of wildlife in graphite, and I'm starting to do a lot of wildlife in op. This is already about two or more hours of work and I'm about half way finished with it. I'm working on the rear leg right now and on the log this lioness is laying on. I decided to do a black background because I wanted to bring a lot of nice realistic detail into the lioness, no background so your eyes are trained on the lioness only. This is 5x7, smaller than I usually work. Using sennies and oil pencils for detail, and a led pencil for a little Sgraffito on the head. Next post it will be finished.:)

upnorthtim
08-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks Bill and Pat! I may attempt to doodle a little (very little) deck detail when I get the nerve. I'm going to let it sit for a day or two first.

Tim

sparkling
08-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Oh Serena your lioness is so lovely :clap: ! She seems to be so content with herself :). And please don't worry about the space above her head, it looks just fine as it is :)))

RG, just go on and put that boat into the sea. Don't be afraid of the paint ...:wink2: and always remember: things can't go worse than in this instructional videoclip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lBQUqzcbEg) (be warned black humor!!)

Tim, I like your interpretation of the photo :thumbsup: . And I like the pink color in the sky, because it repeats the color of the sails.
And welcome to the challenge, by the way :wave:

Wildart, your painting already looks fantastic, can't wait to see it finished :clap:.

Scarefishcrow
08-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Elizabeth,
Your painting already has captured the regal nature of this animal. I really like the black background. Are you going to leave this dark background in the finished painting? I think it really draws the focus to the majesty of the lion, yet the paradox of the serenity of the pose of a skilled hunter.

Pat Isaac
08-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Beautiful start, Elizabeth. The color, attitude is just perfect. Looking forward to the finish.

Pat

serenasocean
08-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Thank you Rainy and Silvia.

RG, the nice thing about OPs is that if the sailboat doesn't fit, you can always take it out :)

Tim, you have such a crisp line on your sails. And the peaks of the waves are great.

Wildart, your lioness is so wonderful. I'm so impressed with the detail you have on such a small piece. How did you get the whiskers so fine? I can't wait to see how your painting turns out.

upnorthtim
08-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks Serena...I stenciled the sails to get the crisp line. I love your lioness ... so hmmm... cuddly? Well maybe not cuddly but the fur reads thick and deep. :thumbsup:

Tim

wildart129
08-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Serena I used a sharpened white oil pencil to pull some of the white out of the lioness to make the whiskers. The black background is what makes them stand out.:)

Here is the finish on my queen lioness. All I really need to do now is bring a little more definition to the tail, it just seems a little flat to me. I need to go over the whole painting and just clean it up a little.

Scarefishcrow
08-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Elizabeth, beautiful work. That black background really makes the modelling stand out. We all complimented your lioness, but the work on the wood in excellent as well. Very believable modelling of the crevices and bumps.

Wonderful piece.

Finnegan18
08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow, I really am admiring everyone's work. Serena mentions you can take the sailboat out if you don't want it. What is the best way to do that?

Scarefishcrow
08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Wow, I really am admiring everyone's work. Serena mentions you can take the sailboat out if you don't want it. What is the best way to do that?

Lisa,
It depends on what you mean. The simplest way is to just not include it in your painting. Another way would be to use software to crop the photo and eliminate the boat, like this,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/108067-ca.jpg

Or, if you wish to retain the entire scene and remove the boat, editing software can be used to do so using a tool called a "cloning brush" to copy nearby textures from the photo over the part of the image occupied by the boat (did this quickly so it might not look as good as it could).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/108067-c2.jpg

Or you can even change the mood by manipulating the color characteristics called HSL (Hue, Saturation and Lightness) as in this example:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/108067-c4.jpg

These are just some examples of how you can take a reference image and software to help you develop a composition from the photo without trying to reproduce it exactly.

Silvis, I do hope you don't mind my using your lovely photo to demonstrate in answering this question.

RainySea
08-11-2008, 07:39 PM
wildart, your lioness is MOST beautiful. . . wow, just amazing details you have achieved on her. She looks so regal.

Scarefishcrow
08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
If at first you don't succeed.........
Here's another take on the boat sans the Green Blob. Started with a monoprint using intense pencils onto Premium Pastel Board by Hahnemuhle, 300gsm, offwhite. Then finished with Cretacolor Aquastic OP, smoothed using a filbert sable brush and water.

Comments welcome. (Note: some stray marks near front of boat I didn't see until after picture taken).

Bill:thumbsup: \
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/108067-Try2.jpg

wildart129
08-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Great painting Bill, love the bright red sail on the boat. The background almost looks stormy.:clap: :thumbsup:

Scarefishcrow
08-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Great painting Bill, love the bright red sail on the boat. The background almost looks stormy.:clap: :thumbsup:

Thanks, Elizabeth!

thermanj
08-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Doggone, Bill, I think you have the worst luck of any artist I know. You did a perfectly masterful painting of the boat, but....it's going the wrong direction:confused: Can you use Photoshop to turn that boat around and point it the correct way? :wink2:

Therman

serenasocean
08-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Hello,

Thanks Tim :) I don't know that I'd want to cuddle with her either!

Wildart, your lioness is great. I think the tail looks fine the way it is, but if you wanted to, the tail of the lioness in the picture ends in longer black hair ( I think). The black backgound allows your work to be highlighted perfectly.

Bill, I like this sailboat better than the first. The way you've textured the background helps differentiate the sea (horizontal lines) from the sky (vertical lines). I think that's neat :) Thank you also for explaining what I meant about taking the sailboat out. I also meant that a medium such as OP is very forgiving ;)

wildart129
08-11-2008, 11:45 PM
wildart, your lioness is MOST beautiful. . . wow, just amazing details you have achieved on her. She looks so regal.

Thank you very much.

Wildart, your lioness is great. I think the tail looks fine the way it is, but if you wanted to, the tail of the lioness in the picture ends in longer black hair ( I think). The black backgound allows your work to be highlighted perfectly.

Thank you very much. I've gone over the painting and added those hairs at the end of the tail.

Now I'm going to try doing the cub, its going to take a little longer and its going to be even more of a challenge. Its going to be 5x7 just like the last one. I'm going to change up the composition a little. You'll see what I mean when I'm about halfway through it.:)

Pat Isaac
08-12-2008, 07:33 AM
Fantastic painting, elizabeth. She is perfect in every way. The tree texture is fantastic as is the soft fur.

Great comeback, Bill. It's moving along nicely through the water. You seem to be having a good time with this technique.

Pat

Finnegan18
08-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Thank you also for explaining what I meant about taking the sailboat out. I also meant that a medium such as OP is very forgiving ;)

I was wondering how forgiving OP was. I thought Serena meant that you could take the boat out after you had OP'd it in. I wondered what her techniques for that were.

Scarefishcrow
08-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Doggone, Bill, I think you have the worst luck of any artist I know. You did a perfectly masterful painting of the boat, but....it's going the wrong direction:confused: Can you use Photoshop to turn that boat around and point it the correct way? :wink2:

Therman

:lol: There was a change in wind direction. And you know what they say, go with the flow.

(BRW, its a lot easier just to hold it up to a mirror for viewing).:lol:

Scarefishcrow
08-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the comments! I am having fun with this technique, Pat.

Sorry for misunderstanding the "take out" question, Serena. I didn't see the actual comment and misunderstood. But you are correct, OP's can be quite forgiving and scraped back and covered.

Bill

Finnegan18
08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
ahh.... thanks bill.

wildart129
08-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Here's my final painting for this month. My lioness turned out great but the cub didn't turn out to well. I won't be doing anything else to this, I got my new sennies and I need to be moving on to something else. I think I just went to small with this and couldn't get the detail that I wanted. If I want detail with OP its better to go bigger.:)

Pat Isaac
08-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, you may think it is not up to your standards, but I think she is great. The texture of the tree bark and fur is wonderful. I do understand your wanting to move on. How large is this piece? Welcome to Sennies....

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Here's my final painting for this month. My lioness turned out great but the cub didn't turn out to well. I won't be doing anything else to this, I got my new sennies and I need to be moving on to something else. I think I just went to small with this and couldn't get the detail that I wanted. If I want detail with OP its better to go bigger.:)

Well, we should all want to do better, but at this point I'd be glad to screw up as badly as this one Elizabeth! It would be a giant leap forward for me. I think it is very strong and there is a real tension in the taut posture of the cub and the starkness of the black background. I really like the way you work on a black background. I want to try to do some things like that. I think it makes for so much drama.

The modelling on the log is great. See, no matter how well others think we do, we always think we should have done better. Which is probably the way it should be, but this is certainly no failure.

wildart129
08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words Pat and Bill. This one was only 5x5, what was I thinking making it that small, I don't know. I'm my worst critic when it comes to my own work. I always try to make a painting better than the last painting, I think we all try to do that to some extent. If you can't be a critic of your own work than you never improve I guess.:)

Scarefishcrow
08-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words Pat and Bill. This one was only 5x5, what was I thinking making it that small, I don't know. I'm my worst critic when it comes to my own work. I always try to make a painting better than the last painting, I think we all try to do that to some extent. If you can't be a critic of your own work than you never improve I guess.:)

The trick is to be able to critique your own work without becoming critical of it, Elizabeth. It's a line we all walk and why we so need the eyes of others to see what we can't in our own work.

RainySea
08-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Wildart, I think your lion cub is wonderful! Wish i could do so well. . .

RainySea
08-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Wow, Bill. . . I think this time you sure got the big red sails you'd evisioned as the focal point! And much more details in the boat also. . . nice!

Scarefishcrow
08-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Wow, Bill. . . I think this time you sure got the big red sails you'd evisioned as the focal point! And much more details in the boat also. . . nice!

Thanks Rainy. Just gotta keep building up that "brush mileage", I guess.

truck driver
08-14-2008, 08:19 AM
ahh its not that I am afraid of the paint, just that I am not sure it belongs in that painting, I am gonna leave that one alone and do a different one for the challenge I think.. gee I may even look at the ri this time :)

at least for a few minutes before I start drawing.. when I did that, I hadnt seen the image for about a week.

RG

GOSH
08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Serena I used a sharpened white oil pencil to pull some of the white out of the lioness to make the whiskers. The black background is what makes them stand out.:)

Here is the finish on my queen lioness. All I really need to do now is bring a little more definition to the tail, it just seems a little flat to me. I need to go over the whole painting and just clean it up a little.

Oh, WOW! That is so well done! Such a beautiful lionness! Even though you didn't like how your cub turned out, I think it still is so beautiful. You captured the color of the fur so perfectly. The bark on the tree is also so full of texture....gosh..:eek:

GOSH
08-14-2008, 11:58 AM
ahh its not that I am afraid of the paint, just that I am not sure it belongs in that painting, I am gonna leave that one alone and do a different one for the challenge I think.. gee I may even look at the ri this time :)

at least for a few minutes before I start drawing.. when I did that, I hadnt seen the image for about a week.

RG

Excuses Excuses :evil:

GOSH
08-14-2008, 12:02 PM
OK...I'm playing too! Here is my version of the seascape at the moment. I interpreted the lower sky area as a fog bank and threw a little pink color in ..just because I could! I started with a wash of watercolors to block in the main color areas first. Details inside the boat are a little fuzzy and I'm not sure what to do. I have some oil pencils but maybe suggestions of the interior are all that are needed? C&C please!

Thanks for looking, Tim

9 x 12 inches, on canson cp watercolor paper. Cray-Pas and Sennelier.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2008/133319-onthebay.jpg

I love your sea and the sails.. Your lines are so clean and sharp. My sails are an absolute mess...

truck driver
08-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Excuses Excuses :evil:

uhhuh.. yeah right.. and where are yours?

GOSH
08-17-2008, 05:58 PM
uhhuh.. yeah right.. and where are yours?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Aug-2008/143278-finally_the_boat_has_sailed_001.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Hmmm...is your DH pushing a little here....:rolleyes: Nice job on the ocean and the sailboat. I like the feeling of rough waters and maneuvering the boat.

Pat

wildart129
08-17-2008, 06:49 PM
GOSH, thank you very much for the kind comment. You did a wonderful job on your sailboat. I love the background it looks like a giant wave is coming up.

Scarefishcrow
08-17-2008, 07:55 PM
GOSH, great effort. I almost get the feeling that mass behind the boat is a big iceberg or glacier.

Seems to be a bit of rivalry with the hubby!! Let's not fight over the new senns; we can share!:lol:

serenasocean
08-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey everyone!

Lisa, besides scraping back, I often use turpenoid (I prefer the odorless variety) to remove any mistakes. I have to let it dry for a few days before I can go back to that area. In the waterlily I did recently, I removed a whole pink petal that way.

Wildart, I think your lion cub is great. I know you mentioned that you could only get more detail on a bigger piece, but I would love to get the detail you have in your 5 x 5 in any of my pieces :) If you get the chance, could we please see the lioness with her new tail? I'd love to see how it turned out.

Gosh, your seascape is wonderful. I love the stormy seas, and the way you subtly captured the land mass.

GOSH
08-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Thank you everybody. The truth is the photo is too dark and the waves are clearer than you see. Done in Senneliers on light blue colorfix paper but the entire surface is covered. I startd doing a nice, calm, quiet landscape and then I said "naaaah", let's rock the boat :rolleyes:
Pat and Scarecrow: there is no rivalry between hubby and me, we share just fine :D

GOSH
08-18-2008, 12:57 AM
If at first you don't succeed.........
Here's another take on the boat sans the Green Blob. Started with a monoprint using intense pencils onto Premium Pastel Board by Hahnemuhle, 300gsm, offwhite. Then finished with Cretacolor Aquastic OP, smoothed using a filbert sable brush and water.

Comments welcome. (Note: some stray marks near front of boat I didn't see until after picture taken).

Bill:thumbsup: \
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/108067-Try2.jpg

Your sails have an intense red-orange I thought of using on mine but then I ended up with earthier tones. I saw gold on the sails, mixed with orange, brown and bordeaux. Perhaps I should have added some of that nice intensity of your sails to make them pop out.

truck driver
08-18-2008, 04:39 AM
o.k. pushing? I actually helped her with that post, she had trouble getting the image reduced enough for the uploader to work.. she has a picture she likes better she will be posting.. as far as art we both push each other a little bit.. but its a good kind of push, not a bad sort of push.. and art is not a competitive sport :) I am just trying to do my next drawing better than the last, not compete with my very talented and wonderfull wife :)

RG

paul444
08-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Tim, A great painting, the sea is particularly well done.

Elizabeth, Great job on the lioness. Excellent.

Bill, A great boat, love the sails.

Elizabeth, Well done. I think the cub is excellent. I think its in our nature to want to do things better. Thats how we progress to the next level. ( which after a short time we won't be happy with. :lol: ).

Gosh, Love the background on this one, especially where the mountain fades into the distance. Great wave action. Well done.

Scarefishcrow
08-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Your sails have an intense red-orange I thought of using on mine but then I ended up with earthier tones. I saw gold on the sails, mixed with orange, brown and bordeaux. Perhaps I should have added some of that nice intensity of your sails to make them pop out.
You have great sails; you even got the little strips of cloth on the sails that show the wind direction~!

RG, we're just kidding you! You are both great and fun. And it's wonderful the two of you have such a compelling interest you can share! That's great. But we have to jerk yur chain occasionally as you are not exactly immune from resorting to a bit of sarcasm yourself, on occasion.:lol:

Paul, thanks for the comments. I guess you just have to keep plugging away.

RainySea
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Gosh. . . your ship looks like its sailing in front of a big ol iceburg!!! Very cool. I love the almost translucent quality of it. But the contouring of the mountian makes it so dimensional, too. Really very lovely. Your sails are great also. . . and you even got the tiny number in. Great!!!

GOSH
08-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Thank you everybody for your comments. :clap:
Here is the other challenge of the month, this time it is a work in progress. Senneliers, colorfix paper - dark blue background - but being completely covered. The scanner cut a little on the bottom right. Your opinions are most welcome!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2008/143278-two_lions.jpg

Pat Isaac
08-20-2008, 06:54 PM
This is a great start to the lioness and her cub. Already there is a nice painterly feel to this....like the senns......Cool huh? :cool:

Pat

GOSH
08-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I finished my contribution to this month's challenge. I'm not completely happy with it, but here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2008/65034-001.JPG

I wish that I had drawn the head of the lioness higher up, as now I feel like I have too much blank space above her head. I tried putting in some shadow. What do y'all think? I took a page out of Bill's book and originally had a green background, so you may notice a green halo around her.

I thoroughly enjoyed the process though, and painting the lioness was fun. Thanks, Silvia, for hosting this month's challenge:thumbsup:

It's got a beautiful royalty feel to it. Very beautiful.

Scarefishcrow
08-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Gosh, GOSH, you are really cranking these thing out, by GOSH!!!

Great start.

RainySea
08-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Really awesome start on that Gosh. . . will be looking forward to seeing the next step!

serenasocean
08-20-2008, 07:49 PM
The proportions (or anatomy? sorry, I can't think of the right word!) of the lions are wonderful, and I especially like the little cub. You've captured them lounging perfectly. I can't wait to see the next step.

Thanks also for the comment on my lioness :)

Finnegan18
08-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Gosh, I love it.

truck driver
08-23-2008, 05:01 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2008/136518-LIONS_AND_KITTYS_016.jpg
beginning stages of the lions. working on the logs.. and background..

RG

Pat Isaac
08-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Nice start RG and good texture on the logs.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-25-2008, 06:00 PM
RG.. Good start on the logs. Now look forward to those big kittens.

Scarefishcrow
08-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Thought I'd use my new La Grande Senns for one more swipe at that sailboat. Approx 9 x12.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2008/108067-try3.jpg
Comments welcome.
Bill

Pat Isaac
08-28-2008, 04:57 PM
ah, red sails in the sunset......Good use of color. How do you like the big sennies?

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
ah, red sails in the sunset......Good use of color. How do you like the big sennies?

Pat

I :heart: them. Nice for my big old paw to grab onto!!

Finnegan18
08-30-2008, 08:09 AM
Looks sparkly with the paper showing through. Reminds me of an impressionistic use of light. I love the colors you used. Nice sky and sails.

wildlifeluvr5567
08-30-2008, 12:24 PM
i love the lion pic!

sparkling
08-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi friends :wave: ,
just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive, but I do have some serious problems with my internet connection for a few days now :mad: and things will only be fixed properly by Monday evening.
There are so many new beautiful paintings here... I hope that I will be able to upload my own painting tomorrow with the help of a friend of mine who will let me use her pc... of course such things only happen if you are about to host... *grrrr* must be Murphy's law or something like that.:( :crying:

Scarefishcrow
08-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Hi friends :wave: ,
just wanted to let you know that I'm still alive, but I do have some serious problems with my internet connection for a few days now :mad: and things will only be fixed properly by Monday evening.
There are so many new beautiful paintings here... I hope that I will be able to upload my own painting tomorrow with the help of a friend of mine who will let me use her pc... of course such things only happen if you are about to host... *grrrr* must be Murphy's law or something like that.:( :crying:

Don't feel bad, I'm starting to write my longer posts in Notepad since two times today I finished a long (and of course very thought provoking; or was that simply provoking??:lol: ) posts and hit the submit button only to get the dreaded 404 error, page cannot be displayed and have my sage commentary disappear into the cyberspace ether!! (Then again, perhaps that was no simple error but well planned programming on WC!'s part??:lol: )

Thanks for a great challenge, Silvia.

Bill

Pat Isaac
08-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Nothing more frustrating than internet problems.....grrr...Hope it is fixed soon, Silvia and I send my thanks also for hosting this month..

Pat

sparkling
08-31-2008, 04:38 AM
Thanks so much Pat and Bill. Yes, computers and internet can be frustrating at times :( .

It was a pleasure to host this month (although I was absent almost half of the time due to my internet problems...:o ), thanks to all of you who have participated, you really did some beautiful paintings - and hope to see you all again in the September challenge!

So, here is the little boat.... well, I did tell you that I am terribly bad at painting water, didn't I?! I'll have to practice more and then I'll give it another try :)

Pat Isaac
08-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Just great Silvia and the boat is moving right along in the water. Love the bold red sails.

Pat

Scarefishcrow
08-31-2008, 12:04 PM
The boat is great, Silvia, and I really like how you were able to capture the different tones of red in the various areas of the sails.

Thanks again for hosting and hope your inet connection has had its demons exorcised!

Shirl Parker
09-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Better late than...

8x10 White Richeson's Unison 140# Premium Pastel Surface, Sennelier OP

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2008/113427-CCF09032008_00000.jpg

Scarefishcrow
09-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Shirl.
Great seascape. I like the texture and treatment of the water. the paper seems alsmost to have a canvas like appearance.

Very well done.

Pat Isaac
09-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Wonderful, Shirl. I love those red sails against the expanse of ocean. The paper does appear to have a canvas like texture. Do you like it?

Pat

Finnegan18
09-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Shirl, the lines are so clean. Great job.

Shirl Parker
09-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Grrrr. This message self destructed upon posting.

Thanks Bill, Pat and Lisa. The canvas effect is less obvious IRL, it was emphasized by the scanner. The paper is a lot like Colorfix, except the size fits the scanner better (8x10 vs. 9x12). The sharpness of the lines was assisted by a razor blade, and I used only color shapers this time. I also used a little turpenoid on the sky and mountain, to try to get a more consistent appearance without stroke marks.

Scarefishcrow
09-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Grrrr. This message self destructed upon posting.

Thanks Bill, Pat and Lisa. The canvas effect is less obvious IRL, it was emphasized by the scanner. The paper is a lot like Colorfix, except the size fits the scanner better (8x10 vs. 9x12). The sharpness of the lines was assisted by a razor blade, and I used only color shapers this time. I also used a little turpenoid on the sky and mountain, to try to get a more consistent appearance without stroke marks.

Shirl, Thanks for the technique notes. They are very useful.

Bill

sparkling
09-04-2008, 03:15 PM
This is lovely, Shirl :)!
And you're never too late. At least not in our challenges here. Right?

Scarefishcrow
09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Right you are Sylvia. Nor is it ever too late to finish up a landscape classroom, e.g. (Just a hypothetical situation, mind you):angel:

Bill

Pat Isaac
09-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Do I detect a small hint????......:angel:

Pat

Scarefishcrow
09-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Do I detect a small hint????......:angel:

Pat

FROM "MOI"???? Why Pat how could you think such a thing of your most devoted minion????:( :rolleyes: :smug:

Bill

Pat Isaac
09-04-2008, 06:03 PM
hummmmff.....:evil:

Pat