PDA

View Full Version : August 2008 Pastel Strokes

PeggyB
08-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Welcome to the August 2008 Pastel Strokes!

Looks like you're stuck with me a second month, but I'm sure there will be someone new come September. I had so much fun in July I just had to do it again.... :)

Those who have participated in previous months already know the guidelines. For all newbies to this monthly challenge, they are as follows:

* Interested participants create a painting from the photo and upload it to this thread for viewing and discussion.
* The image may be cropped, rearranged, and interpreted in any manner! Use different effects in your software program and try painting something different, tweak the color, add or subtract things. This is a friendly chance to share the creative venture. Have fun with it!
* You may paint as many versions as you like, and they may be any size.

Since I gave you my pup Sonny to paint last month, this month I'd like to introduce you to my cat, Maggie, a blue bi-color Ragdoll. She's no small cat at 14 pounds, but is loaded with a loving purr-sonality! Not even the camera flash will disturb Princess Maggie!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2008/68149-IMG_0449.JPG

Next I'd like to offer you a landscape in either gray scale or full color. There are many ways you could use these photos. Use the gray scale as a stand alone monochromatic painting or as a value study underpainting. Once you have the underpainting finished fix it throughly with spray fixative so the grayed pigments don't mix with your colored pigments. Many people find this an easy way to know where to place their colored values. Or you can just paint the full colored landscape without any gray scale first.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2008/68149-715663537_1002.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2008/68149-715663541_1002.jpg

Happy Pasteling!

Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
LOL - Ms. Priss she is! And that grey scale might just be the challenge I need to get in a groove again.

Colorix
08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Great photos! Oh, Her Royal Mightiness Maggie is a veritable Buddha! She's in nirvana, solidly serene. The autumn pic is gorgeous, where is Paula? She's gotta participate!

Kathryn Wilson
08-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Got right on it this morning! I was intrigued with the "notan" theory, so tried that - not sure if this is a true notan or not, but I'd call it a value study.

My second is blocking in the colors. I decided to try a monochrome of a color I don't ordinarily choose to work with. Besides, I had five values of that color :wink2:

The third looks blurry because it is - I knocked it all back with a Viva towel ala Marc Hanson - I am shocked to how these towels work with pastels - who woulda known ??

The 4th photo is as far as I got this afternoon - not happy with the ground from the trees to water - can't see it well enough in greyscale - will have to improvise!

Oh, yeah, this is on Wallis Belguim Mist - about 4 x 6. Mount Visions.

PeggyB
08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Great photos! Oh, Her Royal Mightiness Maggie is a veritable Buddha! She's in nirvana, solidly serene. The autumn pic is gorgeous, where is Paula? She's gotta participate!

:lol: Charlie you've nailed Maggie's purr-sonality just right. However, note that in this particular photo one paw isn't totally tucked in "Budah style", and us ready to swipe any of her three "brothers" should they decide to disturb her! Knowing how beautifully you painted a previous cat, I hope you'll give Maggie a try. OH! I forgot to tell everyone she loves blue or turquoise pastels the best - or at least that is the color she is most inclined to walk in and get on her lovely white paws! Ragdolls have blue eyes so I suspect she's a bit style conscious... :cat:

Peggy

PeggyB
08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Kat thank you for sharing your whole process. I'd call it a value study rather than notan as well, but either method is a good start. Your adding thumbnails faster than I can comment!

I like the glow you are creating. For everyone's information, these are mostly vine maple trees, and I think I see the bare branches of possibly on alder on the far left. Just one caution. At this point it looks as though the center tree is indeed exactly in the center. Is that your intention?

Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
08-01-2008, 02:47 PM
LOL - I saw that when I posted it. I was concentrating so hard on the smaller tree not being in the middle, that that one slid over. Blasted tree.

Oh, well, back to the drawing board.

PeggyB
08-01-2008, 03:44 PM
LOL - I saw that when I posted it. I was concentrating so hard on the smaller tree not being in the middle, that that one slid over. Blasted tree.

Oh, well, back to the drawing board.

It was probably the alder tree that pushed it. They are really nasty like that! :lol:
Peggy

Paula Ford
08-01-2008, 04:39 PM
OH! Would you look at that gorgeous princess!! She is beautiful Peggy!

Great photos! Can't wait to do the fall landscape.

Kathryn, I love your interpretation. Beautiful, and I love seeing the steps...thank you!

nvcricket
08-02-2008, 12:13 AM
I'm joining this...

I am going to do value studies of the landscape. I really like this notan topic and would like some help in developing an understanding of the practice. I'll start tonight!

Kathryn- I like this process you have, thanks! How do your value studies work as notans? Are they notans or value studies?

I guess the question is do your" value studies have harmonic relations… do the related masses of dark & light convey an impression of beauty entirely independent of meaning? "

"Find beauty not only in the thing itself but in the pattern of the shadows, the light and dark which that thing provides." Junichiro Tanizak
(I totally hijacked these quotes from other threads)

I'm reading Harley's Browns book Eternal Truths for the first time along with trying to figure out notan's and also like what he has to contribute about establishing values. So I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks for hosting this Peggy!

Carol

Sonni
08-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I have three cats. Maggie looks like a sweetheart.

Landscape will take some editing to come up with a good notan. There are several possibilities. Here's one. Use three values plus white.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2008/111873-68149-Notan_27_1002.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
08-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm done with this - it was an experiment in something I hadn't done before and it was fun.

The yellow in the upper right is not quite as bright as it shows here. This is a tiny painting for me - now back to the BIG paper where I can see things!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/14941-Peggy5.jpg

sjb
08-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

I don't get to pastel much these days with a couple of young ones running and crawling around, but with the baby having a nap and my girl painting, I grabbed my pastels and headed here.

I took a shot at the landscape. There are some things I like about this picture, and a lot that I don't, but it's only fair that I post it. My colors ended up way too green, with too little yellow and orange, but the Strathmore was already saturated with pigment. Just imagine that this was the picture from a week or two before, when the leaves were just starting to turn... :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/94247-imgp3326.ii.jpg

Rembrandt pastels on Strathmore.

Simon

PeggyB
08-02-2008, 03:11 PM
First I want to let everyone know that Sonni has agreed to help me this month. The notan method is interesting to many of you, and although I'm familiar with it from a college design course of almost 40 years ago, at that time I didn't know it by this name. Sonni's knowledge is current and relavent to this process, and I'm greatful to her for stepping in. Now you can ask questions, try the method, and know you'll get proper responses. My knowledge is more based upon traditional value study methods so together we hope to offer a "full compliment" of value and design critiques.

Kat your interpertation is lovely. :thumbsup: Since purple is perhaps my favorite color I'd have a hard time disliking this one no matter what. :lol: If I have one niggling thought it is that your shadows on the water on the left don't match the landscape above them.

Yes do go back to the big paper. Working small is a good way to "warm-up" after a break, but when you're used to working larger just one small piece is about all it takes to know you wanna work BIG.

Simon I congratulate you for producing anything on Strathmore paper with little ones in the room! :) This paper is inhibiting you from what I see as a very good start at creating multiple layers of pastel texture - especially in your trees. It is easy to "buy" your suggestion that it is just a bit earlier in the fall than my photo depicts.

If you like working on less textured papers that's fine. However, I suggest you try the Canson Mi Tientes rather than Strathmore. Either side of Canson will take more pastel so you can work layers more easily, but if you don't like the textured side the smooth side is most frequently used by most artists I know. I don't know that you'd want to use spray fixatives with the little ones around, but you can take the paper outside and give areas that have become too saturated with pastel a quick spritz. That will allow you to add more pastel without creating a muddy appearance (not that anything in this painting is muddy, but I hope you understand what I mean).

One suggestion I have about this piece. The "reeds" in the foreground water are a bit too dark for the rest of the painting. You might want to soften them and vary the height a bit to add interest there.

I hope you find time to participate more. You are free to do this landscape as many times as you'd like and vary it anyway you want.

Peggy

Kathryn Wilson
08-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Welcome Simon! Glad to see you getting dusty again. I like the breezy feeling to your painting - light, bright and open. Try another paper and see what happens.

Peggy, those two eyes peeping at me bother too - I shall eliminate!

PeggyB
08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Peggy, those two eyes peeping at me bother too - I shall eliminate!

Aren't you glad it is an easy fix? :lol:

Peggy

Sonni
08-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Peggy. I'm going to drop two notans here, so those who are interested start with the correct concept.

Three things
notan is not a value study, though it has 3-4 values
notan is an abstract design that is the support for your painting.
the design does not involve line or color

Your notan should be small and when you stand back from it, you should see basic dark and light shapes that create the pattern of your painting.

Black and white crophttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/111873-WC_aug_landscape_trees_crop.jpg

Notanhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/111873-WC_aug_landscape_trees_notan.jpg
I can see by this notan I am dividing the paper in half, so I need to do another and adjust that. And maybe I haven't hooked up the darks enough.

Crophttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/111873-WC_aug_landscape_crop_bw_1002.jpg

Notan http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2008/111873-WC_aug_landscape-notan_1002.jpg
The notan has been adjusted on this to create a better design than the crop. I know this isn't the only direction I could have gone, and will probably do some more notans on it.

Don't you use these notans (they are only examples and show how I see things). Do your own. As many as you need. Pick one and develop you painting using it--not the photo ref. (This is what Kim Lordier had us do). From the notan, we sketched in the design on Wallis paper with a dark nu pastel and used turpenoid to develop our values. When that was finished, we worked with color, matching the values. Kim stress that that whatever happens in the darkest values requires other similar dark values. Same with the other three values.

I did these in photoshop, because I'm lazy ;) :p and didn't want to draw, take photos, upload to computer, and paste. I used the brush module and upped the setting to about 25 or 30 so I couldn't get a bunch of narrow lines. I picked a color (any will do) and went to the gray end and used a light value, a middle value and a dark value--letting the lightest value in the B/W crop as white (that's 4 values). Works just like Tombow pens. :D

Go for it!

Donna A
08-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi, Peggy---and Sonni! Notan is a term I have not heard before and is always interesting to come across something new! I understand the concept---just have not heard the name to give it! :)

And I must say---of all the photos of Her Highness Maggie, this has got to be the most glorious! Actually, I would love to see it in color, too---but the rich light may have washed out a good bit of that. It does, however, add to her marvelous imperiousness! She KNOWS! :-)

And fun to see what can be done with a rather "simple," ;) elegant landscape shot! So many possibilities. Really fun, exciting choices, yet again, Peggy! Take good care! Donna ;-}

sjb
08-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the words, Peggy and Kat. I wouldn't call the painting finished in any sense of the word, but it was as much as I could get done in the time I had. The mid- and foreground were just "filled in". Only the trees and background are "done" (minus the extra orange and yellow).

I'd like nothing better than to have the time to do it over. It's a long month, who knows? :)

Simon

artastic
08-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Peggy, you just know I will have to try maggie! it may take me a week to get there, but this is a MUST, what a queen!

everyones landscapes are lookin' good, I feel more at ease with animals, but you never know, if she turns out I may give it a go

Mette Rörström
08-04-2008, 06:47 AM
great photos! Beutyful cat!

Deborah Secor
08-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Ooooh, love the cat AND the landscape...I plan to keep my eyes on the notans, too. I can use some work in that area. I don't have a real studio yet, but may drag the portable easel out of the mess in the garage and get dusty, if I can find it!

Kat...Kat...that painting is flat-out, drop-dead GORGEOUS! Fix the little things, sign it and frame this one! :D

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
08-04-2008, 06:54 PM
you mean I didn't drop a bomb with this painting??

Deborah Secor
08-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Kat, I think you should put that painting in its own thread so others can see it that haven't visited here. Of course, I know you plan a series, so maybe it should wait to be shown, but I really think it's a fine piece. It has strong mood and movement, IMHO. There are a couple of elements you'll continue to tweak, I'm sure. Analyze ones and twos, look at the rhythms and spacing--the kinds of things we all do when finishing a painting--but don't pick it to pieces! It's really nifty that Peggy's grayscale inspired you to do this, and I like that you changed it enough from the ref that it's your own...

Sonni, love the digitalized notans! I do that kind of thing all the time in PS, just shoving it all around so it becomes distilled dark, medium and light shapes. It helps me see things more clearly. I may take it further, as you have, and literally think 'notan' now.

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
08-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Yep, still on the drawing board - looking to see what I don't like. The grasses along the edge are the only things I am not happy with - will leave the rest.

Several people have seen this IRL and think it's good too.

PeggyB
08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Hello Everyone
I hope you've all had a good week of working on pastels or vacations, and thus haven't had time to participate in this challenge. I know I've been up to my eyebrows in a "project" of chocolates! Painting a still life of a box of chocolates for a special benefit. The chocolates themselves are a snap to paint, but then there are those wrapped in gold foil, and the lining of the box and each little cup in the box are also metalic gold - ARGH! for the small pieces that show of the lining, the Sennelier metalic pastels are working nicely, but I just might have to do something desperate for the foil wrapped candies... and did I mention the outside of the box is shiny copper-ish??? Suggestions anyone?

Have a great weekend - I hope those of you who are suffering in extreme heat have relief soon.

Peggy

Scattykat
08-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi Peggy, :wave: thought I might have a go at that cute cat, Maggie, she looks so soft and fluffy and I need to practice my pastels. What exactly is a 'rag-doll' cat, is she one of those ones that go floppy when you pick them up? and what colour eyes does the regal looking puss have when she's awake? :cat: Questions questions...chow Shell

PeggyB
08-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi Peggy, :wave: thought I might have a go at that cute cat, Maggie, she looks so soft and fluffy and I need to practice my pastels. What exactly is a 'rag-doll' cat, is she one of those ones that go floppy when you pick them up? and what colour eyes does the regal looking puss have when she's awake? :cat: Questions questions...chow Shell

Hi Shelley

Ragdoll cats are another variety that has Siamese in there somewhere, and they have lovely blue eyes - when open! :cat: Maggie has "eye defects" for the breed in that she has the slightly cross-eyed appearance of most Siamese, and her eyes aren't as clear blue as is most desired, but I really didn't care because she does have the wonderful "dog-like" purr-sonality that Ragdolls are known for. Her markings are absolutely perfect for a blue mitted Ragdoll though. When she was young, she liked to play a version of "fetch"... to her that meant I throw the toy, she runs to it, sits down, and waits for me to come toss it again! If I was ignoring her plea to play, she would go find a toy and bring it to me and ever so often even truly retrieve it once thrown. Now that she's all grown up at 7 almost 8 years old, she doesn't play this game anymore, but she does have other. Her "brother" Murphy - no blood relative - has beautiful medium blue sapphire eyes, but his markings aren't prefect so between the two of them I have one "purr-fect cat! LOL They do tend to be large sized and laid back - sometimes known as the "golden retriever of cats", and since I also have two golden retrievers how could I resist the breed?

I look forward to seeing your painting of Maggie.

Peggy

Scattykat
08-08-2008, 04:38 AM
thanks Peggy, she sounds adorable, perfect specimens are lovely, but I'm afraid I always go for something with a bit of 'quirkiness' in their make up, must be because I'm a bit quirky too, or so everyone tells me! Anyway, have started Maggie, but I'm afraid at this stage she looks more like an old sock than a ragdoll!!! I shall persevere. Be back later to comment on everyones pics...chow for now, Shell

Mario V
08-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Peggy and Sonni, thank you for the great lecture on Notan :thumbsup: . I've never heard about it before. I'll try to use it for early designs. Hope I got it right.

This is the first time I used pastel primer from Schmincke on watercolor paper. I think I might like it :)
Size is 9"x11"

403677 Notan from photoshop :cat:

403678 2" x 2" sketch

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2008/133719-0808pas_wcPas.jpg

C&C welcome

artastic
08-08-2008, 05:04 PM
here is your maggie, she is on 8x10 tan suede mat
she is so beautiful, I have a soft spot for long haired cats, my youngest is a torty, and she LOVES playing fetch (she trained the DH to throw things for her so she can bring them back, we swear her papa is a dog.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2008/104250-maggie_002.jpg

Scattykat
08-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi all, just looked thru all the pics here, wow what variety, really great to see how other artists interpret things. :thumbsup: Kathryn it's interesting to see the thought processes on paper, love the final pic. Simon, I take my hat off to anyone who can paint and mind the kids at the same time, a great skill. Mario, great colour, nice punchy pic. Bonnie, beautiful cat, you really have made her look content, the epitome of the cat that got the cream.
I've also been looking at the idea of notan in this thread, never heard of them before, but it's very similar to something I do in my head. Wherever I am, bus stops, waiting rooms, dinner parties or just walking and looking, I try and break the 'scene' that's in front of me down into just two or three tones, and imagine that each tone must be made without 'lifting my imaginary brush' off my 'imaginary paper. :evil: Really good when I get withdrawl symptoms from my studio.
Here's my try at your lovely cat Peggy, I've called it 'Queen Mags' and opened her eyes a teensy weensy bit.:cat: Unison soft pastels on tinted pastel paper, size approx 12 x 8 inches.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2008/143492-queen_Maggie.jpg

Mette Rörström
08-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi!
Nice work everyone!:clap: :clap:

Here is my painting, and a quick sketch of your cat.(30 min.)
I am sorry...the photos turned up a bit grey/dark..
but I post it anyway..:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2008/130835-DSCN0352.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2008/130835-DSCN0350.JPG

Kathryn Wilson
08-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Peggy will be so proud to see her kitty done so well and in very different ways too! You all have done a great job on Queen Mags.

Mette, nice color interpretation in your landscape too!

Mette Rörström
08-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Kathryn Wilson..thank you!

PeggyB
08-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Kat is right. I'm am thrilled to see all the lovely variations on the two themes.

Mario, I'm no expert on notans, but what you did in photoshop looks good. I like the vibrancy of the landscape. The day was indeed very bright and orange! My only question is to wonder where the yellow reflection in the water is coming from. It is in a position that to me would indicate it should be a sky reflection there. If you had some yellow bushes or trees in the background at that point it would make sense.

Bonnie, Shelley and Mette I love what each of you has done with Maggie :heart: Each of you captured her expression beautifully. Shelley, Maggie frequently does squint her eyes just as you painted them! Mette you captured a fall scene very nicely - is that a turtle I see on the shoreline? If so, nice job of introducing it without making it too obvious.

Nice work everyone. I hope you have a good weekend. :thumbsup:

Peggy

bchlvr
08-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Love the colors of your landscape Mario!

Shelley, Bonnie and Mette...Beautiful cats!

Mette Rörström
08-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Peggy...how funny:lol: ,I did not paint a turle...but I can now see a turtle to,it must have come up from the water after I posted it:lol: .Thank you for your words.

bchlvr..Thank you!:)

PeggyB
08-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Peggy...how funny:lol: ,I did not paint a turle...but I can now see a turtle to,it must have come up from the water after I posted it:lol: .Thank you for your words.

bchlvr..Thank you!:)

Hmmm - maybe you have turtles invade your paintings like I have Studio Elves invading my studio. I swear they come in here and mess with things just to confuse me. I know I put everything away where it belongs every time! :lol:

Peggy

Mette Rörström
08-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Hmmm - maybe you have turtles invade your paintings like I have Studio Elves invading my studio. I swear they come in here and mess with things just to confuse me. I know I put everything away where it belongs every time! :lol:

Peggy

:thumbsup: :lol: :lol:

artastic
08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Mette[/B] Rörström]Peggy...how funny:lol: ,I did not paint a turle...but I can now see a turtle to,it must have come up from the water after I posted it

I had to go back and look , and sure enough he has come out to sit in the sun!!
lovely landscape and your cat is lovely

shelley your cat is wonderful (I cannot seem to get the fine hair or whiskers, I have a limited set of soft pastels and a few hard pastels (I prefer the softies,) but probably just not skilled enough)

mvuk, what a stunning landscape! it just glows

Mette Rörström
08-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Bonnie..Thank you!:D

Scattykat
08-09-2008, 12:44 PM
yet another lovely cat Mette, and she looks so content. Thanks Mette Kathryn Peggy and Linn, and Bonnie, the fine hairs I added with Conte pastel crayons at the end. Isn't it strange how we see other peoples work, for me it's much more desirable to suggest every hair rather than actually draw them, a technique I've yet to crack, but I'm enjoying the voyage of discovery immensely:clap: ...Shell

Mette Rörström
08-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Shell....thank you!

nana b
08-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Miss Maggie is "the cat's meow". I worked on one of her but lost it thru blending:smug:

This is what I did on the landscape. About 40 minutes. 9x12 Wallis. Just a quick effort and I may or may not continue on. Of course it's not finished but thought I'd see what you thought. I wasn't even thinking "notan" when I did this so I'm sure I failed the test! I always get in a big hurry to put the pastel to the paper:o

nana

Sonni
08-09-2008, 05:34 PM
It reads very well, Nana, with or without a notan. You can see your structure if you desaturate it. Had you done a notan or two, you may have adjusted the horizonal line that hits almost at the halfway mark. Still, the slightly diagonal line below it is so strong, and the line above I'm referring to is broken up a enough, with some of the greens going up into the golds and yellows, that I think you are getting away with it.

Mette Rörström
08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
nana...beutyful painting!:clap: :clap:

nana b
08-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks Sonni, glad you think it is okay. Maybe, I'll work on it some more!

Mette, thank you!

nana

PeggyB
08-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Phyllis I absolute concur with Sonni. Despite the in this painting insignificant "in the middle" issue, this is a painting worth finishing. I like the texture, the color choices, and so far your reflections are just lovely. Do watch that you don't continue to emphasize the near centering of the sky reflection. I know you are experienced enough to not let this remain, but thought I'd point it out anyway. :D

and you might try Maggie again - she is a very patient cat. :cat:

Peggy

bchlvr
08-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Love your landscape Nana!

nana b
08-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Peggy, yes, I will put the other colors that are reflected in the water and that should break up some of the blue. Thanks for keeping me in check:p Sometimes I need to be reminded! I appreciate it!
I love Maggie and will probably try again!

bchlvr, thank you !

nana

artastic
08-09-2008, 11:57 PM
nana, what a gorgeous landscape, I love the intensity of the leaves and the reflections, wow!!!:thumbsup:

Tracy Lewis
08-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Decided to give it a go this month. Not very succesful i'm afraid, but in the spirit of the challenge here it is.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2008/101106-scan0003.jpg

Colorix
08-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Tracy L, great ’in the spirit’. I do like how you changed the format, and made that day caught in the camera feel chilly.

Nana, those trees are gorgeous, do finish it! You could try a yellow where the grass is lit by the sun, and see if you like that better than the cool pale green.

Mette, you caught the catty superiority superbly! And I see the turtle too, in your lovely landscape.

Shelley, your Queen Mags is royally ‘not amused’, keeping an eye on her court. Great sheen on the satin and silk.

Bonnie, gorgeous cat! You nailed her solidness, and her alertness behind pretense of sleep! Those purple strokes – love them! I had a not-pure Siamese once, and she trained me to throw kitchen foil balls for her. I got bored of the game rather quickly, so she begun to place the ball in my dangling and cupped hand, and I threw it without taking eyes off the TV... Ah, what we loving and obedient subjects do for our Royal Masters.

Mario, love your strong glowing colours! Doing those notans in PS is a great idea.

Sonni, thank you so much for showing your notan process. And giving the tip about using PS for them!

Simon, lovely landscape. It has a watercolour feel to it that is very charming.

Kathryn, your purple and yellow complementary landscape is gorgeous! Simply wonderful!

Colorix
08-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Hi again,

I'm talking a lot in this post, as I would like you to critique my process. Good honest solid hard critique, please.

This Notan thingy intrigues me, and I probably did it all wrong, but I had fun! "Stole" the idea of photoshopping, and found a new brush in it that swirls!

First thing I noticed (using a PS filter) was that the image was divided in almost perfect halves:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/117343-iz-Divided-in-half.jpg

Boring comp, although the scene is wonderful and has everyting. So I set myself the task of trying to make it more interesting. I planned two ways, and this is the first.

My so-called Notan... I b/w-ed the photo and used a PS filter, and then got enamoured with the swirl-brush... It did start out as 3 values plus whiteish. I 'faked' a broad shadow of a tree falling over the grass, darkening it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/117343-iz-Notan-B.jpg

In the 'Notan' I tried to make little 'bridges' of values, but basically it is a lighter streak one third from the right edge.

Then on to colour. It is a 45-minute sketch, on Fabriano Ingres, white, size A4 (8x12")

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/117343-iz-Autumn-trees-div.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the sketch, I'm not good at painting speedily. As I painted, I extended the light to the left letting the sun hit the tall grasses at the edge of the water. Thought that would be more interesting than a vertical band.

Again, I'd love good critique, thank you!

Off to do my second sketch with another light-pattern, ta.

Charlie

Mette Rörström
08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Charlie...Thank you!
Love the color in your sketch!

alija1001
08-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Here is my attempt at the fluffy car.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/78136-Fluffy_cat.jpg

Sonni
08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Charlie, you have the idea of a notan--value shapes, no detail. You can use any medium, and I think the design in the first reads well, with the exception that you have cut the composition in half horizontally. The idea, too, is not to fiddle with the notan. If one doesn't work, do another, and another until it does. If you desaturate your color sketch, you'll see whether you stayed true to the structure of your notan, or strayed. Look for the values. Do they lead the eye through the painting? If they do, any hue will work as long as it is the correct value.

snowfall
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi everybody

Thought I would have a go at the landscape.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/142898-landscape1_004.jpg

Pam

Colorix
08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi again,

first:

Gill, lovely minimalistic fluffy cat!

OK, now I've done my second take on the landscape. I played seriously with the notan-concept (as much as I understand of it). This is my 6th attempt, it 'felt' best (I 'feel', I don't *know* about this notan):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/117343-iz-notan-trees-U-m-p14.jpg

Then I painted another small colour-sketch in about an hour. Tried several ideas: breaking up the shore, adding a bush, and accidentally making the fg grass too dark... Here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/117343-iz-Trees-U-m-p8.jpg

Looks like a stairs of one step... Anyhow, I feel that this could become a real painting on 'real' (sanded) paper. (With more 'normal' colours.)

Good honest hard C&C, please!

Charlie

alija1001
08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks for your comment

Colorix
08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Pam, nice 'enchanted woods'! Very sweet.

Sonnie, thanks for the advice! converted to bw... it could've been worse...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/117343-iz-bw-Notan-B.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/117343-iz-Autumn-trees-div.jpg

And the next pair:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/117343-iz-notan-trees-U-m-p14.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2008/117343-iz--bwTrees-U-m-p8.jpg

Sonnie, this seemed so relatively 'simple'... operative word is "seemed"... :o In the second pair, the bw of the notan has the two lighter values too close, they seem way more different IRL. Maybe I shouldn't have used tricky purples.

Thank you, I'm learning tons!

Charlie

Sonni
08-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Charlie, the one on the left is better, though you can use the white of the paper for the lightest value. I think you are getting too detailed for a notan on the right hand one. Stay with black values if you are more comfortable. Do as many as you need, and try doing them very quickly so you don't get the urge to elaborate on the shapes. If you don't like the composition of one, if the values don't hook together "right" and it doesn't feel good when you back away from it, change it. As Kim said, it's a lot easier to do another notan and get it right than try to change the painting. She made a believer out of me, and I was always changing horses mid stream.

nana b
08-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Charlie, I like the notan on the left too. Very nice!

I'm going to post some notans I did out of "Painting the Landscape in Pastel" by Albert Handell and Anita West. I'm not sure if they are good notans or not. The one that really interests me most is the last one of the trees.

I also noticed that he, Handell, uses a lot of square or near square formats. Personally, I like them better than the standard sizes. It would definietly influence the notan and that would be another thing to check out! I've noticed for a long time that I'm not really confortable with the standard sizes and thought it was just me:D Since I'm framing myself and having them custom framed, I may as well start doing the shapes I want!

I love Handell's work!! But who wouldn't!

nana

Sonni
08-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Handell does envious work; he has beautiful strokes.

Your eye is good, Nana. I think the last one of the trees is very strong, too. The others seem rather weak

Colorix
08-12-2008, 05:24 AM
Sonnie, Nana, sorry, I wasn't clear, and as we got onto a new page on this thread, there was no immediate connection to post nr 60 on p 4... The bw pairs are 'notans' to the left, and the paintings to the right (in bw and shrunk), to see if I strayed, which I did.

I'd love your opinion on the colour sketch in post 60.

Charlie

artastic
08-12-2008, 08:49 AM
tracy: good shot at the landscape, i reallly like the texture on the grass
gill: you cat looks almost like an oriental painting, I love her fluffyness
pam, your landscape has very interesting texture, good job!
charlie: I am no critic when it comes to pastels (or anything) I only play and like doing animals, landscapes illude me altogether, but I love what I see, I am still trying to wrap the notan theory around in my head: good concept and a worthy one.
thanks sonni for the info

snowfall
08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Charlie & Bonnie - thanks for your comments.

Pam

Sonni
08-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Sorry, Charlie, I missed this. Right now it's a "high key" study--so, I desaturated it in photoshop to see what was really going on. There are a lot of mid values that don't correspond with your notan. Not that this is a bad thing. My guess is that you haven't solved the design with the notan and are leaning more toward the photo? What surprised me, because I thought you had knocked back the far mountain nicely, was the value there was very close to that of the trees (shows how deceiving color can be). Not that this is a bad thing either--the Impressionists used temperature more than value to show depth, but it's probably best to be consistant within a painting, and change the value there.

I followed your notan on the color sketch so you can see what I mean, and circled the area I found confusing. The negative space around the tree tops, I thought were very good in the notan, so I carved around them a bit to reflect this. The yellow grass, however, competes with the tress, which read well, and comes at the viewer as if it were in the foreground. If the trees are the focal point, the grass should lead the eye to them. The circled foreground is competing with the trees, and the reflected shapes are not consistant with the shape of the trees (it looks cramped).

What you are attempting to do is no easy task--believe me, I know. So much to think about at once. If it were me, I'd do another notan and work on the very darks so I had a good pattern I could follow, and make a decision: is this painting going to be mostly dark value, mostly mid value, or mostly light value. Try to stay away from having equal values throughout. And remember the golden rule: never make any two intervals the same. :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2008/111873-Charlie-Trees-U-m-p8.jpg

Colorix
08-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Sonni, thanks a lot! I obviously have a lot to learn, which is fun! This is what I love with WC, people are so generous in sharing knowledge.

Strange things do happen when desaturating into b/w. I have a tendency to trust my eyes more than the camera, and or PS, mainly because I don't really know if the eye is more accurate, or the camera/PS. I suspect it is the eye though, as there are no less than 6 different ways of making a colour-photo into bw in PS... They all look different, too. Camera may read gold on black as all black, for example, while the eye sees the text clearly.

[quote=Sonni]What surprised me, because I thought you had knocked back the far
mountain nicely, was the value there was very close to
that of the trees (shows how deceiving color can be).

Yes, it surprised me too! Quite a lot. I did underpaint with the exact same sticks I used for the 'notan', and I usually manage to stick to the relative value. Maybe it is because there are many layers of pastel, including near complementaries. Or the camera is odd...

I followed your notan on the color sketch so you can see what I mean,
and circled the area I found confusing.

This really helps, so thank you so much! Yes, the reflections were off quite a lot! :o I'll pay close attention to how you gave the trees a better 'hair-do'.

What you are attempting to do is no easy task--believe me, I know.

I kinda noticed, as I played with it... :D Taking on too complicated things, way above my present skill-level, is such fun, though, and it makes me learn things, as I find lots of questions that need to be answered. Non-linear learning style...

It is a new thing, to me, to try to make considerable changes, based on a photo. Have to learn, as my paintings will not mature into art if I keep on doing the same as usual.

If it were me, I'd do another notan and work on the very darks so I

had a good pattern I could follow, and make a decision: is this painting

going to be mostly dark value, mostly mid value, or mostly light value. Try

to stay away from having equal values throughout.

Very good advice, I will follow it. I'm finding I really like the trees, so I ought to focus on them, maybe skip the water althogether. The fg is too detailed with the water included, and I find it hard to make it come forward but be second to the trees in importance. I'll sketch it first, before committing to a painting.

Thank you, much appreciated!

Charlie

Inki C
08-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Hello,

I tryed the cat: grey and white pastel on black paper (A4 size).
It was something different, fun to do.
Thanks for the picture.
Keep up the good work everyone!
Ingrid
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2008/150011-kat.jpg

Colorix
08-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Ingrid, hello and welcome!

Wow, very beautiful rendering of the majestic cat. Hope to see much more done by your hand!

Charlie

Mette Rörström
08-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Ingrid,hi!
Welcome!
Beutyful cat!

Inki C
08-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Thanks,
I plan to post regulary, because I learn a lot this way.
The cat reminds me of a chinchilla I had as a child: soft as a cloud :)
Ingrid

snowfall
08-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Ingrid

I like this a lot. I tried to do the cat as well but ended up in "too much of a pickle and using too many colours" and the end result was too bad to post. However, you've inspired me to have another go and practise using this method instead. I'm a beginner so I can get myself into a muddle pretty quickly! Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Pam

PeggyB
08-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Hello Everyone -

Sorry for the long delay in comments. I'm still up to my eyeballs in painting chocolate candies.... for various reasons not worth mentioning I decided to start from scratch on Tuesday... had to go buy more candy to do it though! This time I snuck into the candy store and told the server I didn't want the owner to know I was there because he has given my so many chocolates that this time I wanted to buy it. Family and friends - and the Studio Elf family - keep eating it! OK - enough about my excuse for being absent...

Tracy I like your "spirit" - nice fall colors, good texture. :) One place to consider looking more carefully in the future would be the reflections in the water. They need to mimic that which is being reflected in shape and placement. I know it isn't easy to really see all of that in a photo, but it is ok to "wing it" and just make what you paint on the land side reflect into the water correctly - same with where the sky is reflected.

Charlie I'm glad you are working to understand the notan method. Sonni is a good teacher, and what she puts into writing is easy for me to understand what she's talking about when I look at your work along with it. There is nothing I can add to what she's told you. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Gill I like your simplified version of Maggie. The few values and colors, the expression on her face, and the shapes you've painted along with the way you signed and dated it do indeed make it look Oriental. Good job. :cat:

Pam I don't know what paper you are working on, but it appears you've done a good job of almost filliing the tooth. The reflections in your water are very near spot on where they should be. :thumbsup: If there's any tooth left, you may want to scumble some fall tree colors over the top of the very dark areas of the trees to give them better depth. One way to get more tooth if it is about gone is to lightly spray it with workable fixative. Lascaux is one brand that doesn't darken the pastels too much and will revive some tooth.

Ingrid I think you've put the textured side of Canson paper to its absolute best use. I really like this monochromatic version of "Her Fluffy-ness Maggie". You caught her expression just right. :cat:

Pam I hope you do try Maggie again using a monochromatic palette. This photo is ideal for that use, and should make it easier for you.

Too late to continue with chocolates tonight. I'm going to put the candy dish downstairs so hopefully the Studio Elves will leave it alone and it will harden up a bit. The chocolate was beginning to get extremely soft by the end of the day. I had to keep turning the spot light off and paint from memory and the photo I've taken! :eek:

Peggy

snowfall
08-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi

Monochromatic maggie! I don't seem to have any black pastel paper so I have had to use just a cheap pad of black paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2008/142898-still_life_001.jpg

Pam

PeggyB
08-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Pam you've done a marvelous job on "cheap paper" :thumbsup: ... Interesting how you've off set the painting all the way to the right. I hope you had fun making Maggie monochromatic.

Sonni
08-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Peggy! If anyone wants to see the Notan process from notan to finished painting, check out my thread "Notan to Nocturne" in the Pastel Studio/Gallery. I'd put the link here, but I haven't figured out how to do it :o .

Colorix
08-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Sonni, and others. To post a link, copy the URL at the top of the page (ctrl + c) and paste it (ctrl + v) into the post. Like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512653

If you want it to be really cool and elegant, you copy the url as above, then type, for example, "If you want to see Sonni's notan process, go to this post (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512653)in the Studio forum." Then you highlight the word(s) you want to hide the link behind. Click on the icon in this typing window that looks like a globe with a chain-link, paste the link into the window that opens, and voilà! you can click the underlined words "this post", and it'll take you there! Nifty.

nana b
08-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Huh? Charlie, you talk too fast....well maybe it will take my mind a while to wrap around those instructions:lol:

Thanks, nana

Sonni
08-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Charlie. I got it--I think.
Nana--the URL is the website shown as http:// and what ever follows at the very top of this page. All you need to do is copy it like Charlie shows, bring your cursor down to this box (the reply box) and click. Ctrl and the letter v held down simultaneously will insert it into the reply box.

Colorix
08-17-2008, 04:28 PM
:lol: Sorry, Nana, too quick, thoughts stumbling over fingers. :o Let me rephrase it in the format I'd need myself to understand it:

If you want it to be really cool and elegant,
a) you go to the desired post in the relevant forum, and open it

b) copy the URL (the address, it starts with http//www.wetcanvas etc) at the top of the relevant page (highlight + ctrl + c)

c) then go back to the post you're typing, and type the relevant sentence, in this example I write: "If you want to see Sonni's notan process, go to this post (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512653)in the Studio forum."

d) Then you highlight the word(s) you want to hide the link behind. (I chose "this post") just highlight, no clicking

e) Click on the icon in the window where you are typing, the one that looks like a globe with a chain-link, like this
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/editor/createlink.gif

(when you move the mouse over it, (in the tool bar, not here in the post) it reads "Insert Link")

f) a little window opens when you click on the earth-link icon,

g) paste the URL you copied in step b) above, paste it where it says "address". The letters http are highlighted already when the window opens so just paste over it, (paste by ctrl + v)

h) then klick on OK, the window closes, and voilà! you've finished.

It will look odd in the window you type in, as the code will show up, but if you click on Preview Post, it'll look right, and so it will in the finished and posted post.

It will look like you're really computer-savvy, too. :smug: :D :cool:

In the finished and posted post, the reader (and you too) can click the underlined words "this post", and it'll take you to the other thread in the other forum! Nifty!

Opsesija
08-19-2008, 06:02 AM
Hy,
I´m new here. Can I join, please?

Bye Lara

artastic
08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Pam , Ingrid, I love your soft monochromatic kats
Maggie was such a delight to draw

Hi Lara, love to see what you have for us

PeggyB
08-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Hy,
I´m new here. Can I join, please?

Bye Lara

Welcome Lara

We love new comers here on Wet Canvas so please do join in the fun. If ever you don't understand what I write, just ask me to be more clear. I know what it is like to be in your position.

Peggy

Mette Rörström
08-19-2008, 07:39 PM
welcome Lara!

nana b
08-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks Charlie, that's better....but longer:D

nana

Opsesija
08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
404938Hy,
here I am.Thanks for Your Welcoming.
That was harder than I thoughth. This is my second attempt. I´m not really satisfied, but first attempt was much worse:( . Size of the image ist 34X36cm .
And...that "notan"thing,...I find very interesting.

Bye Lara

Mette Rörström
08-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Lara--wonderful painting!:clap:

Colorix
08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Lara, wonderful autumn colours in the trees! Yes, it was indeed a difficult picture, and you did very well!

Charlie

PeggyB
08-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Lara you did a good job on a difficult subject. I like the autumn colors and the texture in the trees :thumbsup:

I don't know what paper you used, but if you can still work with it you might want to soften the dark lines on the lower left corner in the water. They are a bit too "harsh"/dark for the reflection.

I hope you continue to participate in the Pastel Strokes forum. It is a good way to practice and get comments from other pastel artists.

Peggy

Opsesija
08-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Hy,
Mette, Charlie und Peggy thank You for nice words. Peggy, You are right, now I see also. I will repair it. The Paper is a simple drawing Paper (brown). I´m very satisfied with it (for dry painting- underpaintig not,is too thin 130g ).

Of course I`m continue to parcipate in the Pastel Strokes forum. I like it. And I think I can learn a lot.

Thanks again

Lara

gourdburner
08-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi, thought I would join in the fun. I'm afraid my effort is less than stellar. :)Especially after seeing the others on the thread, but give me credit for trying.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2008/52477-DSCF2256.JPG

Mette Rörström
08-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Debbie..like your painting....esp. the water!

PeggyB
08-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Debbie I'll give you more credit than just for trying. This has a lovely sense of lightness and sunshine, and most certainly convey's the time of year. :thumbsup:
I hope you will join us again next month.

Peggy

Judibelle
08-25-2008, 03:05 PM
well, after joining the 'goal-post' I was inspired to try this challenge. I still dont get the hang of foliage, but it was fun trying, and the first time I've been motivated to try pastels in a while now....
Comments would be helpfull...
JB
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2008/103700-scan0005.jpg_autumn_scene.jpg

PeggyB
08-25-2008, 05:46 PM
JB you've certainly captured the light, bright feeling of that fall day. You are right about folage being a challenge. It can be especially so when you are trying to layer "red" and "green" - complimentary colors that tend to "gray" one another when layered if you aren't really careful. For the most part you did pretty well on this on the tree on the right that has a lot of green and red-orange. I think one thing that may be stopping you from complete success is using the textured side of Canson paper. You might want to try the smooth side next time, or some sanded papers such as Uart, Art Spectrum or Wallis. Lately I'm liking the Uart quit a lot as it comes in several different grits from quite smooth to rough - my preference is 400 grit (on the more rough end of the scale).

One way to keep the sky colors from getting muddied by the tree colors is to lightly spray the sky with Prismacolor final fixative before continuing with the trees. A light spray will seal it just enough to protect it, but you can always go back over it later if need be. (so the word "final" isn't all that final when applied lightly!)

Peggy

Judibelle
08-25-2008, 06:56 PM
thanks, Peggy, for your comments. (I looked at your website, and love your work!)
Seems that I have an abundance of the miTientes paper...and being that the printing was on the textured side, I figured that was the 'front' side. But I will try on the smooth side next time, and see if that makes a difference for me. I also plan to get some Prismacolor final fixative....and see if that helps. And, following the weekly thread of doing trees this week, I will work a bit more on that.
I appreciate your help...
JB

PeggyB
08-25-2008, 09:00 PM
thanks, Peggy, for your comments. (I looked at your website, and love your work!)
Seems that I have an abundance of the miTientes paper...and being that the printing was on the textured side, I figured that was the 'front' side. But I will try on the smooth side next time, and see if that makes a difference for me. I also plan to get some Prismacolor final fixative....and see if that helps. And, following the weekly thread of doing trees this week, I will work a bit more on that.
I appreciate your help...
JB

JB I think "technically" the textured side is the "right" side because that's where the watermark is. However, most of the people I know ignore that and use the smooth side. I think you'll find a huge difference in how it handles.

"Help" is what we're here for so ask questions any time, and someone will anwer - usually in multiple ways! :)

Peggy

SharonC
08-27-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm a newby to WetCanvas and this is my first upload, and I must say, I think it took me longer to do this than to paint my project. So I am sending this as a test because nothing is working. I am a Student of Peggy's and have greatly enjoyed the classes. I have my BA in Fine Arts, but raised a family and helped my husband get his business off the ground and of course I have been the office admin. and bookkeeper temporarily for 18 years.:) Peggy has helped me a great deal in learning a new medium, Pastels, something I have always wanted to do but did not have the time. Compare me to a bottle of soda that has been capped off for 30 years, I could either go flat, or shake me up, pull the cap and a renewal of creativity starts to come back out. I am having a great time getting back to working in Art once again. I chose the photo and to paint, I did not work on the studies, just jumped in and it was great fun.
Thanks

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Aug-2008/14941-SharonClark.jpg
SharonC

Mette Rörström
08-27-2008, 06:56 PM
SharonC...I just want to say welcome!
and nice painting!

PeggyB
08-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Welcome Sharon! I'm very glad you were able to get the right help - from Kat - so others could see the great job you did on this. :thumbsup: It probably helps that you're from this area and know the values and hues of our fall landscapes. I think others would like to know what size this is, what paper you've used, and what pastels as well.

I'll see you next month in class! :)

Peggy

SharonC
08-28-2008, 01:12 AM
Thank You both! The paper came from my pack of Warm Tone Colour Fix Art Spectrum 23 x 30 cm (9" x 12") and Sand was the color. My pastels were mostly from my box of Sennelier Plein Air Landscape set and a few Unison. I have been following the thread this summer since Peggy gave our class the information on the site. It is very informative to read and to get pointers from reading the suggestions and such. This is just such great fun!
SharonC

PeggyB
08-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Thank You both! The paper came from my pack of Warm Tone Colour Fix Art Spectrum 23 x 30 cm (9" x 12") and Sand was the color. My pastels were mostly from my box of Sennelier Plein Air Landscape set and a few Unison. I have been following the thread this summer since Peggy gave our class the information on the site. It is very informative to read and to get pointers from reading the suggestions and such. This is just such great fun!
SharonC

Sharon you just might find out how adictive this website is if you hang around for a little while. Everyone on the Pastel forum is friendly and helpful. You'll find you can ask questions any time and get multilple answers to the same question. That's a good thing to me as it just shows how diverse art and art appreciation really is. You won't have just me to depend upon for answers anymore! :evil:

Peggy

Semele
08-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I snuck this in under the wire. There are almost too many posts to comment on at this point, but I'll give it a shot. Please don't be offended if I missed your piece:

Karthryn W. -- Really like your notans and experimental piece (the colors of which are very appealing.

Simon -- I think you did a fine job. Looks like a nice midsummer's day. :)

Mario -- Brave colors! Nicely done.

Bonni -- Very contented looking cat. Nice sense of the fur's texture.

Shelly -- I like that you took liberties with the source material. The royal purple cushion is perfectly appropriate, and the squinty eyes make me want to drop what I'm doing and rub her under the chin. And oh boy is that some fine fur.

Mette -- Lovely colors. Very cohesive.

Nana -- Love your simplification of colors and form. You're my hero. :music:

Tracy -- I like your reedy area. Much more successful than mine!

Charlie -- Very pleasing values!

Gill -- The ultimate fluffy cat. It looks vaguely like an old Chinese scroll painting, even the colors. Nice.

Ingrid -- Wonderful cat. I really like your approach -- it's sort of like "essence of fluffy cat". :thumbsup:

Pam -- I do like the thick lay-in of white around his ruff. Nice job for cheap-o paper.

Lara -- Impressive colors. I think you handled them well.

Debbie -- Lots of credit for trying ... and more! I really like your lavender sky, especially with all the yellows.

Sharon -- Your reflections are perfect. Your water as a whole is very well done. Nice work.

About mine. I like the idea of doing landscapes but have almost no experience with them. I'm one of those who gets a little overwhelmed looking at the whole. On this piece, I got the area next to the water (the stands of grassy plants) too thick with pastel right off the bat (which was dumb -- I started out with softies instead of using only my pencils which would have done the job brilliantly; my only excuse is that I was kind of tired of the piece at that point -- near the end -- and didn't really care if it was right). I'm not emotionally invested enough in this piece to fix it, but I consider it to be a learning experience.

Thanks for looking.

[Edit: forgot to mention that it's Strathmore paper with mostly Cretacolor, some NuPastels and fewer Rembrandts.]

PeggyB
08-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Semele I'm impressed with what you have created on Strathmore paper. Although you are not completely satisfied with it, there is some nice movement throughout the painting, and the texture of the trees is just right. :thumbsup: However, as you've already mentioned the grasses along the shoreline and water reflections are a bit overdone or too intense in value. Good practice exercise/learning experience. I think you will make a fine landscape painter one day if you continue to practice, and if that is what you'd like to paint. I don't believe anyone should have to paint any subject they don't enjoy. :)

Now then Everyone, I've enjoyed being your hostess these last two months. Thank you for the experience. I wish all of you continued success and enjoyment of the Pastel Strokes thread.

Peggy

Mette Rörström
08-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Semele...wonderful painting...and thank you!