PDA

View Full Version : Force Field Glass

Bringer
07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi,

Force Field Glass (which from now on I will call FFG) has this name to have a relation to glazing since the glass doesn't exist for real.
The kit comes with three pods that will make a triangulation thus forming a force field which will form an invisible barrier.
Each one of these pods is "juiced" by one of those tiny kind of batteries that one sees inside watches.
The barrier cannot prevent the person to touch the work if the person really forces it, but when approaching the hand, the viewer will feel a kind of barrier.
The makers of this device are working on a new version that will deviate (sp?) UV rays as to avoid the lost of colour from works.
After writing these words, I'm wondering how many people will believe on this since I just made it up. But then again people do believe everything these days.

Kind regards,

Josť:p

PeggyB
07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Josť are you bored or have you been watching too much sci Fi? This is just too funny. You're right though many people do tend to read and remember only what they want to.

Peggy

artist_pw
07-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi:

This sounds like a product from the sci-fi show "Eureka". If you watch the sci-fi channel, there are infomericals for Eureka pseudo products that are completely hilarious. If this was an actual product, it could do away with the need for a frame, so a pastel painting could hover in mid air. Come to think of it, let's get some engineered pastels that could change color dramatically according to maybe some software controller. ;)

nvcricket
07-31-2008, 10:34 PM
YOU HAVEN'T HEARD????

The latest artistic / scientific collaborative development to occur, and the grandest IMHO, is the holographic pastel gallery, you are able to see pastel creations in the 4th dimension. This is the most ultimate translucent medium available. It far surpasses the recent innovation of pan pastels. It will be available for general consumer purchase at your local Sears hardware store starting in the spring of 2009 in the futuristic media department. I plan on leading workshops in development of these pastel creations beginning in the fall of 2030.(I'll be 74). If you want to be the first to sign up please pm me.

Carol

fyi- this is also a fabricated misadventure...

Colorix
08-01-2008, 05:50 AM
I'll have the model that zapps people's fingers when they try to touch, conditioning them to never ever again touch a painting!

And then I'd put my paintings in a vacuum-sealed container, a time-capsule, and bury it 2 km deep in bedrock, so they remain unaffected by the rays emitted by people's eyes! To be really safe, the time-capsule will be contained in the 7th dimension for all eternities, awaiting an A.I. that can watch it without a photon touching the surface.

The holographic copies will be stored in a ship stationed at the Lagrange points of Jupiter. And electronic images will travel the Ansible network!

For starters.

:-D

Donna T
08-01-2008, 09:34 AM
You had me there for a minute, Josť. May the force be with you!

Donna

Tressa
08-01-2008, 09:46 AM
you're not that far off base, Jose:lol:

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/cold_plasma_000724.html

some more sci-fi for art:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/31/synchrotron_art_appreciation/

Kathryn Wilson
08-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Expanding on Paula's new product, I have a software package being developed that will patch itself onto a pastel painting and the owner of the painting can change the colors to match their couch. It's called "Syncopated Pastels".

(also fabricated in case you needed to know)

Deborah Secor
08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I'll be the yet-undiscovered 'retro' artist who continues to rely on such rudimentary techniques as pastel on paper under glass. They'll walk into the museum and remark on how quaint it is, but fascinating. Imagine--just pastels on paper in a frame on the wall! Maybe it will inspire someone to stick her finger in some colorful dirt and try smearing it around on some surface and the idea of making art with your hands in a medium and not on a tablet or computer screen will be reborn. :wink2:

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
08-01-2008, 11:00 AM
mmmmm .... yes, Deborah ... they might even try tracing their hands on the cave walls .... perhaps to make a charcoal drawing of that big, shaggy mastodon they saw yesterday

PeggyB
08-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I love where this thread is taking everyone's imagination! It has its own creativity...........hmmm I think I'll take Deborah's idea a step further and use Museum glass just to tempt people further to touch it to see if there is anything in front of the painting. :evil:

Peggy

Paula Ford
08-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I sure needed "force field glass" last night! Went to Hobby Lobby and picked up 2 frames and 2 pieces of 16"x20" non-glare glass because I'm taking them down to the gallery tomorrow. Came through the door at home with way too much in my arms, tripped over Peanut (one of my kitties) and broke all the glass!!! :eek: I was SO upset!!

Needless to say I'm stopping at Lowes for plexiglass on the way home :lol:

artist_pw
08-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi:

Wow - I thought of something else that could help us all - "smart" pastel dust, that would reassemble itself back into pastel sticks! (Bummer about the old school glass.)

seosamhin
08-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Very entertaining posts. Lots of ideas here for a mad scientist.
Julia