PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

explores
11-03-1999, 05:31 PM
Somebody told me that instead of buying a flo rite medium. That mixing a drop of liquid dish detergent with 20 drops of water would do the same thing. Is this true

pskudlarski
11-04-1999, 01:30 PM
sounds interesting!
how much water would you use for those 20 drops? I am in fact having problems with buing flow aid and I was looking for it

explores
11-06-1999, 10:02 AM
one part detergent to at least 20 parts water,don't let it foam. I have tried it took more than 20 parts water, but my paint flowed more evenly

ms169699
02-02-2004, 12:45 PM
I have also heard about this trick but have never tried it and don't know how it will affect the paint durability/adhesion over time. :confused:

Lady Carol
02-02-2004, 12:51 PM
For those of you having trouble measuring out 20 drops, that is equivalent to 1 ml of water. So a teaspoon has 5 mls and a tablespoon 15.

kiteless
02-02-2004, 03:09 PM
considering dish soap is a surfactant it probably would work, because really thats all flow aids are. however, i would worry about the other ingredients in the soap. if you could find a dishsoap that wasn't perfumed or coloured, then it probably is ok. not sure about the longevity issues but i don't plan on my work being around for 100 years anyways.

Lee_The_Astonishing
02-02-2004, 03:43 PM
I have used detergent in place of ox gall when using gouache ( kind of a supply problem here!) and have had no adverse effects so far. Maybe worth checking out.......

Lee :evil:

andyvry
02-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Somebody told me that instead of buying a flo rite medium. That mixing a drop of liquid dish detergent with 20 drops of water would do the same thing. Is this true

Not exactly, no ...

One drop - a 'tear-drop' that is, in a mug-size jar of water acts like a wetting agent, which in effect removes the natural 'tension' of the water. This facilitates increased flow of the paint. That's the theory ... I think. (chemistry was never one of my stronger subjects :o :p )

Personally, I use W&N "Acrylic Flow Improver" which contains wetting agent. I know how it 'works' and I can rely on it for delivering consistent results.

According to the spec;

quote "Unlike water, will give negligible loss of colour strength. Use for water colour and 'hard edge' painting techniques." unquote

andy.

BTW, if you are planning on laying any bricks, a dash of washing-up liquid in the mix makes for the mortar to just slide off the trowel beautifully and the bricks go down a treat ... :D