PDA

View Full Version : How To Paint Eyes???

Taurus41
07-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Please would someone direct me to a site or lesson showing, step by step how to pastel paint human eyes.

In fact, seeing as how I would sometime also be wanting to paint cats, dogs and horses.... their eyes also.

With thanks

Tz

Colorix
07-31-2008, 05:54 AM
Chris Sapier has a great demo in her book.

painterbear
07-31-2008, 06:43 AM
Hi Tz,

I saw the name of your thread in the list of New Posts. Although this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504052) is about painting Realistic Eyes and Skin Tones with Watercolors, there is a tremendous amount of info about eyes in the tutorial that you might be able to also use with pastels. Hope it is helpful.

Sylvia

Tressa
07-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Patrick Hedges,and Leigh Rust do wonderful close ups of animals.
Also on here is Holley, she does beautiful animal portraits. There are plenty more, these just popped in my head!
Tres

Studio-1-F
07-31-2008, 10:04 AM
Please would someone direct me to a site or lesson showing, step by step how to pastel paint human eyes.
Take a look at Portrait Classroom: EYES (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245708). Hope this helps!

Jan

Taurus41
08-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Thank you one and all. It was good of you to reply with suggestions.

Painterbear-- that was a fantastic site you offered... learned much about eyes I did ever observe or think about. Just shows, we realy dont look do we?

Tressa... thank you... will look up these good people and their animals as soon as I can.

Studio - 1-F. Excelent, down to earth lessons. Good old Wet Canvas always comes out tops. Of course I should have thought of the Portrait Forum!

Best wishes
Tz

Bringer
08-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Hi,

I would just like to add a small tip.
The white of the eyes is not pure white of course.
When working with oils, one of the colours that one can carefully add to white is the pink flesh one. With Pastels I guess one could put a light layer of a similar colour and then white over it, or try to mix it with the white.
If you have the chance to observe Delacroix portraits, pay attention to the eyes. Namely how he applies the highlights to give the impression of humidity.

Kind regards,

Josť

AliciaS
08-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Jose makes a good point about using flesh tone in the eyes...if you want impressionistic eyes..I would advise you to avoid white altogether for the whites of the eyes..I use greys yellows pinks pale blues....and a creamy highlight for the sparkles..or light blue....I don't paint a perfect circle for the
iris..because the bottom portion is covered by the lower lid...upper part of the eye is in shadow..most reflections are shown in the lower half of the eye
because it is not in shadow....
I like eyes that are suggested...they seem more like real life to me than illustrated eyes...both are useful..it is just what style you prefer...