PDA

View Full Version : A Great Easel!

wakar
07-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to pastels, just been doing them a couple of months. The other day I was lamenting about not having an easel I could take to class with me. I've been using one of those masonite drawing boards resting against a coffee mug. But since the chairs are low, the tables are high and I'm short, it was very frustrating.

So a couple weeks ago I was trying to design something to suit my needs. One thing I wanted was for it to be adjustabe so it could do double duty in my drawing class. Also I didn't want to use a tripod painting easel because, even though pastels take a soft touch, I just wanted the entire thing supported, like on the masonite.

Well, I decided to look one more time online because the local art supply stores didn't have anything but heavy drawing/drafting boards. And there it was! It was exactly the design I had decided on. It's called Adjustable Table Top Easel (catchy title, eh?:lol:) and Dick Blick has it. So I ordered Monday a week ago and it arrived the following Friday (great service).

I took it to class today and it worked great! I taped the pic I was working from to the upper left hand corner and set my painting (which was on a masonite drawing board) on the the easel. I taped some paper to the bottom to catch dust and the whole thing worked like a charm. Even my teacher said he wanted to get one.

So, the particulars: It's wood with laminated foam core surface that you can tape or push pin on to. It has 8 adjustment levels from flat to 90 degrees upright and the support rod is metal. It only weight 3 1/2 pounds which is fine for taking to class. The surface is 18x24 including the wooden frame and the overall size when folded is 19x26.

I worked with it at a slight angle because I was propping the drawing board on it and thought it might tip over. But I realized later that laying something across the back of the frame will prevent that so I'll give a go at upright here at home. It has two little metal bits (flanges?) at the bottom that can be "opened" to hold a board or whatever. Here are a couple of pics (note the metal bits at the bottom are open in the first one and closed in the second):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2008/147780-easel01.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2008/147780-easel02.jpg

The easel cost $51 at Dick Blick - a lot less than it would have cost me in time and supplies to try and build it on my own (not being a woodworker there would have been no end of trial and error and frustration). And I got a deal as I waited until they had one of their coupon sales and bought it at the same time as my 72 count NuPastels set. Woo-Hoo!

Wakar

Colorix
07-31-2008, 05:53 AM
Congrats to great "bang for the buck"!

Tressa
07-31-2008, 09:04 AM
Yea ,cool to travel to class with. I have something similar I use for watercolor. I have a tilting table, but it is a pain to move, so I keep it at a set spot, and use the table top easel. Great price for some painting comfort.
Tres

Studio-1-F
07-31-2008, 09:49 AM
....I taped some paper to the bottom to catch dust and the whole thing worked like a charm.
Hello Wakar! I have one of these easels (been using it for a few years, for everything!) and it's indeed great and light as a feather! The only problem, as you discovered, is that the pastel dust all just falls down onto your table top. Ick! My solution was to cut a strip of foamcore, 26" long and about an inch or maybe slightly more wide and sit it down on those metal "flanges" at the bottom. Then I duct-taped it to the bottom of the drawing surface, with the duct tape curving to make a dust trough. Now it works just perfectly!

Jan

Hugsy25
07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
wow that looks like a it would be perfect for pastel. Congrates on the great deal and find.

HarvestMoon
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
that is wonderful....I have a thing for easels anyway, esp. tabletop ones...I have never seen this sort- you are right it would be perfect for pastels...I could take this and my little new GA cigar box of pastels just about anywhere....great find- thanks for sharing

wakar
08-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Hello Wakar! I have one of these easels (been using it for a few years, for everything!) and it's indeed great and light as a feather! The only problem, as you discovered, is that the pastel dust all just falls down onto your table top. Ick! My solution was to cut a strip of foamcore, 26" long and about an inch or maybe slightly more wide and sit it down on those metal "flanges" at the bottom. Then I duct-taped it to the bottom of the drawing surface, with the duct tape curving to make a dust trough. Now it works just perfectly!

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the tip re the dust trough. And I'm really glad to hear you've been using this for a long time and it's worked for you. I'll pass that on to the others in my class.

Wakar