PDA

View Full Version : art supplies through the mail

jacx1938
07-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Could someone refer me to the threads that discuss which art supply companies in California are best, in terms of how they pack pastel orders for shipping and how fast they get things to you? Dick blick for instance? What has your experience been? Thank you.

Jim

HarvestMoon
07-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Dick Blick is FABULOUS..... and if something is not perfect they will make it so....free shipping on larger orders....

Dakota Pastels is also wonderful....top notch....

Jerry's is great with prices and sales....they charge about 14% shipping though which can add up- but they are very good too....

I have only had bad experience with some of the smaller sellers on the internet....

bchlvr
07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
I agree with Linda! Possibly in that order...have only ordered from Dakota Pastels once and still waiting on the order but I think they are further away from me. ASW (Art Supply Warehouse) is also good. Dick Blick is my all time favorite though.

CarolaH
07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Dick Blick is fast and they are very helpful when ordering. i usually get my stuff with 5 days even over the weekend.

Dakota is great but they are on the west coast and i am in KY so it takes over a week to get my orders but they are great folks and very helpful too!

chewie
07-30-2008, 08:59 PM
i seldom to business with anyone but blicks. they have the very best after sales service, so i'm willing to give out a bit more in the cost knowing i'll be taken care of if its not perfect.

beware of ASW, i have a horror story from them and i wasnt' the only one. blick will match their prices too, so if that's the problem, you can have your bargin and good service!

dakota has never disappointed either, but they dont' have as much stuff so i dont' go there much. (i save my ordering til i have a bigger order, which will include not only pastel stuff, but maybe other supplies too)

jacx1938
07-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Hi all, lloks like Dick Blick might be good, but now must check to see what brands and colors they have. Sometimes I need Cinnabar, Pthalo, and permanent green colors, which everyone doesn't carry Thanks for the knowledgeable input.

Jim.

P.S. Just remembered, anyone have experience with Rochester fine art store in NY?

Tressa
07-30-2008, 10:49 PM
nice store, a bit more expensive.

Peiwend
07-31-2008, 12:08 AM
I recently received two orders from fineartstore.com or Rochester Art Supply and was very satisfied. Their shipping (to Canada) was reasonable and fast. All items were in stock and the packing was excellent -no pastels were broken and the sanded paper was in perfect condition. Dick Blick is also excellent but Rochester Art Supply has a larger selection of pastel supplies.

_____________________________Wendell

Paula Ford
07-31-2008, 06:07 AM
Rochester Fine Art Store is top notch! Yes, they may be a bit more expensive at times, but watch for their sales. When they have a sale, the prices are great!

Colorix
07-31-2008, 06:24 AM
I've ordered from DickBlick. Great service, stuff arrived in great condition, and speedily, and I live in Sweden, Europe!

Terry Ludwig also has great service, excellent, in fact, and the pastels do survive the long trip.

WC Lee
07-31-2008, 07:00 AM
I've ordered from Dick Blick, ASW, Dakota, and Fine Art Store. They all ship promptly and their packaging is good too. Though some people have had problems with ASW, I haven't experienced a single one yet (knock on wood).. Fine Art Store is great, lots of stuff but their website need work, don't like how they have it set up.

binga63
07-31-2008, 07:25 AM
I ordered from across the pond with Dakota and it all arrive in perfect condition

Hugsy25
07-31-2008, 12:20 PM
I recently received two orders from fineartstore.com or Rochester Art Supply and was very satisfied. Their shipping (to Canada) was reasonable and fast. All items were in stock and the packing was excellent -no pastels were broken and the sanded paper was in perfect condition. Dick Blick is also excellent but Rochester Art Supply has a larger selection of pastel supplies.

_____________________________Wendell

Thanks Wendell. I was just going to ask if anyone knows about shipping to Canada. I live in little PEI and there is absolutley no wheres to buy good pastels here.
I wrote those two down and I'm going to go check them out.

Bringer
07-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi,

I don't live in California, but in Portugal.
I usually buy from ASW and untill now I'm satisfied.
I've also bought from Dick Blick and things also arrived nicely and their service is also helpful.
Since I'm in Portugal, I always state that I want my merchandise sent by the USPS services, no carriers.

Kind regards,

Josť

artist_pw
08-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi:

I have done orders from Dick Blick, Jerry's Artarama, ASW, and Dakota. Jerry's and ASW seem to be actually the same or related, because their websites, sales and merchandise actually appear pretty much identical, but they will send emails with sale coupons that basically negate the shipping costs most of the time, so I try to always place my orders with those so that the prices are the lowest. I think these two store almost always have the lowest prices on pastels and related equipment when it's on sale. I haven't had any problems with getting my orders - one time, I did order something from Jerry's - a drafting table and some other items, and the original order actually went somewhere else, but they sent me my complete order without any fuss at all. Hope this helps and gives you some options.

PainterMike
08-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Well, here I go again....

I recently had a problem with Jerry's Artarama and I will NOT go back again! I had been a long time customer, but not anymore....

I had ordered several Carbothello pastel pencils 4-5 each in 7 or eight different colors. In that order were 5 Panes Gray pencils. They shipped 5 neutral blacks instead. I immediately called them as soon as I opened the order and as I expected I got an an answering machine. I left a detailed message with my customer number and phone number. The next day, just to make sure, I sent an email with all of the same info. No contact for two days! I called back two more times and left messages again, and on the final message I stated how dissapointed I was in their customer service...or lack there of.
I got a call the next day (third day after order arrived) from a very appologetic customer service rep stating that I would recieve the correct pencils in about two to three weeks. BUT, stated that I could keep the black pencils free of charge. Hmmm, I asked, "I would think that a store catering to artists would have people working there that knew colors?" "And by the way, I'm working on a commission that will now be past deadline because of the mistake." She answered, "that's the best we can do", and a again apologized.

Almost a month of time, and 5 free seldom if ever used free pencils, was the best that they could do? Would a three day shipping fee be too much to salvage a failing relationship with a long time customer? Yeah I know, a little over fifty dollars is not a big order, but considering that I had spent several hundred dollars over the past years should account for something, right? I guess not!

I've vented again, but at least I have let you all know what Jerry's Artarama customer service policy is .....or lack there of.

Mike

AnnGarlough
08-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm afraid I have to agree with Mike about the lack of customer service. I too have spent thousands of dollars over the years with ASW and have numerous horror stories I could add here. (ASW and Jerry's are one and the same). At $500 a pop for a roll of portrait linen, you would be amazed how they can still quibble over defective brushes, stretcher bars, etc.

As I venture into pastels I find that Dick Blick offers greater selection in this medium and they really do go all-out to work with their customers. I find their prices on pastels very competitive with ASW/Jerry's and was delighted to read here that they will price-match!