PDA

View Full Version : Found something on ebay

binga63
07-26-2008, 09:16 AM
:clap: I don't know if this is allowed but I found this while surfing on ebay and thought it may interest,US readers....it's no good to me as they won't post overseas:(...but it seems a great deal

the selling blurb_
You are bidding on a Large Heilman Pastel Box (MSRP: $300) absolutely full of pastels. The pastels included are as follows:
--The full set of Unison Soft Pastels, half sticks (the full set, whole sticks, is $1225.00 at dakota pastels).
--The full set of Girault Soft Pastels, half sticks (the full set, whole sticks, is $895.00 at dakota pastels).
--The full sets of Terry Ludwig Soft Pastels Intense Darks I and II, half sticks (the full sets, whole sticks, are $80.00 each at dakota pastels)
--15-20 Schmincke Soft pastels, half sticks, from the highlight colors set from dakota pastels (the set of 24 whole sticks is $84.00 at dakota pastels... I didn't put the colors that were not lightfast into the box)
--A few Art Specrum Pastels from the dark pack
Also included is a binder I made with the colors and names of each color so you can find exactly which pastel you need to order if you want to re-order a color. The binder includes every single pastel in the box (it was not an easy task to make this). All of the pastels were purchased at dakota pastels and were broken in half very carefully by myself. They are all in absolutely perfect condition and most are unused. The few that have been used have only been used a little, so they are pretty much all still there. The heilman box is in absolutely perfect condition and comes with the keys and shoulder strap. This is an amazing collection of the worlds best pastels in the worlds best pastel box! I will make sure to ship very securely so nothing is damaged and will insure the package at my own cost. Don't miss out!

too good to be true?
I've supplied the pics for reference
if this is not allowed please delete this post and I apologise

Chris

Kathryn Wilson
07-26-2008, 09:21 AM
It's allowed as long as you are not the seller. We appreciate you give us the head's up on this. Now everyone will be bidding!

rankamateur1
07-26-2008, 10:21 AM
%^&*$#[email protected]@!!!!!!
I've been watching that item for the past few days!!!

Luana

helenh
07-26-2008, 10:32 AM
I saw that too. Looks like a great deal. I search eBay often for deals on pastels and paper and have won several items. Of course I always compare prices against those of Dick Blick, ASW and Cheap Joes before I bid. Sometimes these vendors sell them for the same or cheaper. Don't forget to include shipping costs. Often things on eBay come up cheaper. Great savings!

HarvestMoon
07-26-2008, 11:40 AM
That does look great- but I have the large Heilman box and have 1/2 sticks of the entire GA set, and some Giraults- and that pretty much fills it up- but I may not be packing mine as tight....

it would be a dream set, that's for sure!

HarvestMoon
07-26-2008, 11:46 AM
ok- I did the math- so the person claims to have spent about $1482 to get the box and 1/2 of the cost of the pastels....and the current bid is $430.

Tressa
07-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Who ever it is has a really good eye for values:evil: :evil: :evil:
That is one neatly organized box!

HarvestMoon
07-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Who ever it is has a really good eye for values:evil: :evil: :evil:
That is one neatly organized box!

I agree- and the color chart would be super helpful too....now I am obsessing about this thing and I hate ebay!!!! I don't even have pay-pal...but what a deal if the price stays close to where it is...:envy:

Snowbound
07-27-2008, 11:22 AM
...I don't even have pay-pal...but what a deal if the price stays close to where it is...:envy:

It won't. The pattern on eBay for stuff like this is that in the last few hours the price starts jumping big-time. Do your math first, decide what it is worth relative to retail cost (NOT MRSP, but what Blick or one of the other retailers sell for, plus shipping minus wear and tear), compare to what you need and/or can use, and then decide what your personal top price would be.

Don't get drawn into bidding wars! A lot of people who use eBay regularly use the automatic bid feature, which will automatically top any bid by the minimum amount up to their preset top price. That's why things spiral up so quickly right at the end.

eBay does have some good deals, but mostly on esoteric items that few people notice. Most of the art supplies are overpriced, and you do have to watch the vendors background and history. Perhaps most are reliable, but many are not, and some are downright dishonest.

BTW-- you don't need paypal yourself to use it to buy by credit card. Paypal simply becomes the vendor's pass-through for transfer of funds.

Dayle Ann (who regards eBay these days as a source of occasional amusement)

PS: That said, I had to find the set on eBay and take a look. Now I want it. Alas, not in my budget-- and with two days to go, it will sell high.

Kathryn Wilson
07-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Good advice from Dayle Anne - figure out your top bid, put it in, and leave it. Don't get suckered in for those last minute bids.