PDA

View Full Version : FB polychromo v Nupastel?

Dea
07-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Can anyone tell me the difference between Faber Castell Polychromos and Nupastels? I want to get some harder pastels than my Art Spectrum softies to use on velour. I have a set of 12 polys and I quite like them but I would be interested in how the Nupastels compare.
Also anyone know where I might buy them in Australia? I can only find them on Ebay,
Deanna.

Tressa
07-24-2008, 07:19 AM
I have the full set of Polys and I like them better than Nupastel. They are still hard, but to me, are a little bit smoother application. The colors are bright and crisp. I don't know the technicals of them, like Nupastels have some renegade colors, so cannot comment on the lightfastness, as I admit have not used them too often, but what I have, I liked.

Donna T
07-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I am slowly replacing my Nupastels with the Polychromos. Nupastels do have lightfastness issues and I would be horrified if something I painted ever faded or changed colors dramatically. There was a thread a while back about this problem and it was mentioned that the red-violets are especially fugitive, I think that's the term. The colors of the Polys seem purer and brighter, while some of the Nupastels are kind of chalky looking.

Donna

HarvestMoon
07-24-2008, 11:26 AM
I much prefer the Polychromos too....I have both- the Polychromes are much more expensive, but the Nupastels are very very fugitive....

Paula Ford
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I have both sets, but my Polychromos are my favorites. I hear NuPastels are not lightfast and the color disappears in time :eek:

Dea
07-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Thanks, I was leaning towards the polys too, I've just got to find some to buy
Deanna

Dea
07-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks, I was leaning towards the polys too. Now I just need to find somewhere to buy them,
Deanna

Dea
07-25-2008, 03:44 AM
Thanks, I was leaning towards the polys too. Now I just need to find somewhere to buy them,
Deanna.

Dea
07-25-2008, 03:45 AM
Deanna.