PDA

View Full Version : ABC's: A Letter a Week--'A'

Hiraeth
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
I think I have come up with what could be a very fun activity. I'm a blogger and I'm participating in a Blogging Carnival called "ABC Wednesday." Every Wednesday, bloggers submit photos or poems or whatever strikes their fancy for the letter of the week. This week's letter is 'A' so I decided it would be fun and good practice to submit a 'hand lettered' letter each week.

Hey, this might work on the Calligraphy discussion boards!! Maybe you would like to play along with me here at Wet Canvas! Sometime between now and next Wednesday, think up a project with the letter 'A' and post it to this thread. If anyone else decides to participate (c'mon, you know you want to!) I'll post up a thread for the Letter 'B' next week.

This could be a lot of fun!

'http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2008/144882-amethyst.JPG

Here's my 'A'
11 x 11.5 cm
Lombardic Versal
Osmiroid B3 nib and Pigma Micron 005
Lettered on HP presentation paper, then printed onto Watercolor Paper
Derwent Inktense Colored Pencils, blended with a blender pen

Now it's your turn!

quills
07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
A letter A in context :) Strongly Infuenced by the English Scribe Ricardus Franciscus active in the 1400's

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2008/69681-pages1-600.jpg

Hiraeth
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
WOW!! That's stunning!:clap:

Absolutely breathtaking!

I'm so glad you decided to play along!

Hiraeth
07-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Looking closer, is this a page from a hand lettered book? Ecclesiastes, right?

I'd love to see more!

A letter A in context :)

quills
07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Appreciate your kind comment Hiraeth.
It was a self set excersise in discovering how it felt to letter day after day week
in week out ,written with a quills most of ecclesiastes. This is what calligraphy
is all about making books. Two pages are 15" x 25" written both sides in book page order.
Now sewn and bound in a very strong handmade banana paper.

Hiraeth
07-23-2008, 03:28 PM
I dream of making my own book someday. I pore over the pages in Writing and Illuminating and Lettering, but I've never tried it myself.

I DO try to letter at least something every single day.

I've cut my own quills in the past, (turkey flight feathers) but my supply has dried up when I moved away.

Where do you get yours?

Appreciate your kind comment Hiraeth.
It was a self set excersise in discovering how it felt to letter day after day week
in week out ,written with a quills most of ecclesiastes. This is what calligraphy
is all about making books. Two pages are 15" x 25" written both sides in book page order.
Now sewn and bound in a very strong handmade banana paper.

quills
07-24-2008, 10:58 AM
I've cut my own quills in the past, (turkey flight feathers) but my supply has dried up when I moved away.

Where do you get yours?

Have built up a stock of quills over 40 years... son in law breeds pheasants tail feathers excellent as quills.

TessDB
07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Great idea, Kim! Not going to get around to a letter "A" anytime soon, but maybe when it rolls around to M, R, or E? :lol: :lol: :lol:

quills-- I think it would be a great thread to have in the forum if you would be willing to post a demo/how-to prep & use quills for calligraphy! And your letter "A" is just beautiful! :thumbsup:

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
You'll be ready to go on M,R,E! Carrie is working on a Celtic C and hopefully, many others will join as time goes on!

Hiraeth
07-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Do you strip the shafts even tho they're beautiful pheasant feathers? I never minded stripping the turkey feathers, but I once found a red tailed hawk feather and couldn't quite bring myself to strip it and cut it to length.

I'd love to learn about your process--cutting, yes, but mostly tempering. Do you use hot sand?

Have built up a stock of quills over 40 years... son in law breeds pheasants tail feathers excellent as quills.

quills
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes Kim I do use hot sand in an old frying pan on a portable gas stove in the garage :)
I cut to 9" and always strip the feathers they have feather mite will eat holes in the quill, in any case impossible to letter correctly with the feathers in place... artistic license when used in films.

Will cobble something together Rosemary... please bear with me local art club exhibitions for a fortnight... watercolour not calligraphy :)

TessDB
07-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Will cobble something together Rosemary... please bear with me

Take your time! And good luck with the exhibitions! :)

Rosemary

marie_d
07-26-2008, 05:16 AM
Just a quickie....

Kim and Quills lovely work.

By the way 'good idea' Kim, should stir some interest up in the calligraphy forum. A question??? Is any level of work ok, even learners like me?

Hiraeth
07-26-2008, 07:11 AM
"Is any level of work ok, even learners like me?"

OF COURSE!!! Every level of work is not only accepted but greatly desired! We are all learning and growing here and we learn from each other; that's what makes this forum work.

I'm looking forward to your contributions to this thread, and others!

marie_d
07-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Great Kim:thumbsup: Can't wait to start. I will have 10 days to myself from next Thursday to get cracking , grandchildren are going away on holiday for a week.
If we miss the weeks letter can we catch up and still post between other letters?

Hiraeth
07-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Sure, fit them in whenever you can! : D

Looking forward to seeing yours!

K

marie_d
07-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Hope its ok to post this I did several month ago. I can catch up now with everyone else.

Gilded Old English 'A'

Size 2"x3" Loose Gold Leaf on parchment paper, 0.3 waterproof pen, gouache.

Hiraeth
07-26-2008, 02:29 PM
OH that's GORGEOUS!! I LOVE show and tell! :D

Ahem. That is the work of a seasoned calligrapher--a very accomplished calligrapher! I'm looking forward to learning from you! :clap:

Hope its ok to post this I did several month ago. I can catch up now with everyone else.

Gilded Old English 'A'

Size 2"x3" Loose Gold Leaf on parchment paper, 0.3 waterproof pen, gouache.

Rose Queen
07-26-2008, 03:01 PM
...and always strip the feathers they have feather mite will eat holes in the quill, in any case impossible to letter correctly with the feathers in place... artistic license when used in films.
Couldn't you put the quills in a bag with a few moth balls and nuke the little darlings that way?

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

marie_d
07-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks Kim...the loose leaf drove me nuts :evil: If you coughed or put something down on the table the
leaf would float up in the air and I had to try and catch it with a flat paint brush. I have never tried gilding
before so I thought I would give it a try. Next time though I am going to buy transfer leaf instead, apparently its easier to apply.

Hiraeth
07-26-2008, 09:44 PM
Well, it was certainly worth chasing loose leaf gold all over the place! : D

quills
07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Couldn't you put the quills in a bag with a few moth balls and nuke the little darlings that way?

You could or fly spray :) but you do not want the barbs you need a good clean quill... not as romantic but has been used for a couple of thousand years like that and it works !

quills
07-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Lovely piece of gilding Marie and a good shape.

marie_d
07-31-2008, 03:09 AM
quills...thank you :thumbsup: I will still carry on trying the gilding. The main problem I encountered was trying to keep air bubbles out of the gilding paste.

quills
08-04-2008, 11:31 AM
quills...thank you :thumbsup: I will still carry on trying the gilding. The main problem I encountered was trying to keep air bubbles out of the gilding paste.

Don't laugh a little earwax, or a tiny drop of oil of cloves helps prevent bubbles.

scribblet
10-18-2008, 06:44 PM
A letter A in context :) Strongly Infuenced by the English Scribe Ricardus Franciscus active in the 1400's

I'm just catching up on some posts, this is absolutely awesome :clap:

Hiraeth
10-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Why don't you join us!? One letter a week--you can create something new or go back and find an example from your existing work.

The more the merrier! :)

I'm just catching up on some posts, this is absolutely awesome :clap:

azulparsnip
10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Scriblett - thanks so much for posting this. I started here with the letter D and want to go back to A etc. This work is beautiful and gives me alot of direction I lacked. Thanks and DO keep posting these when you can?

azulparsnip
11-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Here's four A's:)

Hiraeth
11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi AzP! :wave:

I love seeing your distinct stylings! The second and third (are they different?) remind me of Delft pottery!

I'm glad you're going back and picking up the letters you missed at the beginning. You'll have a whole alphabet when you are done! What will you do with it? Any plans?

azulparsnip
11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Oh, my I made a mistake - there is another A that is not here-did one twice duuuuuh - I'll get it up soon. gotta run for now
I don't know what to do with all these letter but I think they will come handy someday. Just the exercise in creativeness has grown me. How about you, you got plans for these great letters.?

Hiraeth
11-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, I'm going to put them in a book for my grandson, Elliott.

It's been a good exercise for me, too. I am NOT an artist and can only draw the simplest of things, but I have stretched a little bit as this weekly exercise has progressed and I have discovered that I do enjoy drawing.

I'm looking forward to showing you next week's letter! I'm almost finished with it and it's turning out to be one of my favorites!

Oh, my I made a mistake - there is another A that is not here-did one twice duuuuuh - I'll get it up soon. gotta run for now
I don't know what to do with all these letter but I think they will come handy someday. Just the exercise in creativeness has grown me. How about you, you got plans for these great letters.?

AmandaG
02-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Wow! Your writing is beautiful. I have a long way to go before I can write like that.