PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Sealant Problems

changingpaths
07-21-2008, 10:46 PM
My husband sealed all my paintings today that needed it. (brush on type of UV protection.)

The ones I had signed with Acylic Ink BLED!! Including one that is sold.:eek:

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to lift this?

I don't understand why or how this happened. The one had been signed more than a week ago. I know some of your are actually painting with the acrylic inks. Has anyone else run across this problem?

(none of the painted signatures bled, just as an FYI)

OkeeKat
07-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Sorry for the mishap Cyndi but I never had that happen yet and dont know what to suggest.. more experienced artists might have a clue.. What sealant did you use.. check and see if its removable so the painting can be touched up!! I have only used my paints to sign so not sure.

susme48
07-21-2008, 11:48 PM
I only use sprays...never had them bleed...use acrylic ink pens to sign some. Am wondering/worrying about using pigma inks...but have not tried them yet.

edtree
07-22-2008, 06:46 AM
:wave: Hi Cyndi!

Kathie had good advice. You can look up removal information on-line for the sealant, but getting the ink off might not be so easy. I had signed a couple of paintings with pen and had some bleeding from it and never did it again! Depending on the painting itself and the area affected, you might be able to paint over it, blend it in to the painting, and resign. Hopefully more advice will be added from the folks who've had this happen. Let us know how things turn out!

Elizabeth

Einion
07-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Hi Cyndi, what product did your hubby apply exactly?

Artists' paintings should ideally be varnished only with products made for this purpose specifically.

Einion

changingpaths
07-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Kathie, it appears to be removeable. But I am chemical sensitive as I have lupus...so probably not something I can do. sigh. Good thought.

Susan, I am in shock this bled. They are the acrylic Inks everyone has been talking about. The irony is I MADE acrylic ink using paint and medium for one of my paintings, and that didn't bleed. I guess I may try that from now on. It's just my handwriting is SO bad... that I really liked the control the pen gave me over a brush. ps...I am horrible at spraying. I always splatter.

Elizabeth, thanks for the tip. On the one that is sold, my signature was on bare canvas, as the entire lower left was empty...It bled down from my signature on all but one...so if I can lift the sealant, painting over the ink might be a good option. Thank you.

Eionon, Of course it was an artist product. :) Having been a sculptor for 15 years, I wouldn't even use my incralac for sculptures for my paintings...although I suspect it would work great. hehe. no, we used Golden's Varnish...#7715-7. Polymer Varnish with UVLS in the Satin Finish. I bought it at our local Jerry's Artarama after talking quite extensively with a very knowledgeable woman I can only assume was the store manager. I never thought to ask about the acrylic inks. sigh.

Any further thoughts anyone has would be appreciated.

OkeeKat
07-22-2008, 04:46 PM
See if your hubby can remove the sealant and try to paint over or correct what you can. Understand about being chemical sensitive!!

Einion
07-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Eionon, Of course it was an artist product. :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/3842-thumbsup.gif

no, we used Golden's Varnish...#7715-7. Polymer Varnish with UVLS in the Satin Finish. I bought it at our local Jerry's Artarama after talking quite extensively with a very knowledgeable woman I can only assume was the store manager. I never thought to ask about the acrylic inks. sigh.
Did the very knowledgeable woman mention MSA varnish? This and similar products are what should be used on acrylic paintings, although they contain mineral spirits.

Unfortunately it might not have made any difference; the procedure that Golden and Liquitex both recommend now is to apply a layer of acrylic medium to the painting - as an isolation coat - before applying the spirit-soluble varnish (MSA or Soluvar). The non-removable varnish you've applied is basically similar to that layer of acrylic medium so the problem may have cropped up anyway.

More info on the Golden site:
http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/varnapp1.php
http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/faq/xii_isolation.php
http://www.goldenpaints.com/technicaldata/archvarn.php

Einion

changingpaths
07-23-2008, 02:53 PM
Hi Einion,

I called Golden. Probably the reason I was steared to this particular varnish is because I have Lupus which makes me chemical sensitive, and can't be around the chemicals needed for the MSA Varnishes. Although I let my DH do these too.

I found out this is removeable with Household Ammonia, thank goodness. Polymer Varnish with UVLS (UltraViolet Light Stabilizers) is a waterborne acrylic polymer varnish that dries to a protective, flexible, dust resistant surface over acrylic paint. Removable with ammonia. Available in Gloss, Satin and Matte. ...taken from the Golden site you listed. thank you for providing that for me.

As you suggested I probably should have used an isolation coat of medium...but I am thinking like you, it may very well have bled anyway. And the person I spoke with at Golden kind of wondered about that also. She gave me some good tips...so I will try it on the test painting and see what happens. Luckily I only need about a q-tips worth of ammonia, so hopefully I can do it myself...as my DH is actually in your neck of the woods, at this time. :)

It is so frustrating... I bought these acrylic Inks because so many on the Acrylic Forum seemed excited about using them in their paintings...and I thought why not let my signature look a little nicer while I am at it. I have to say I am now a little nervous about a couple paintings I used the Pearlescent acrylic Inks on. I will definitely try an isolation coat on them first. :(

Thank you for your help:)

eliza ollin
07-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Cyndi, sorry to hear about this--but I have to say, I'm so glad you posted, I just signed my first two paintings ever this weekend, in acrylic ink! Hadn't gotten to varnishing yet, so at least I get to figure this out first, before I smear!

I just did a little test with an isolation coat of soft-gel over ink on scrap watercolor paper...when I brushed, there were instances it smeared or seemed to disappear, so I tried dabbing it on, that seemed to work better. But what happens when a varnish goes on, I still don't know.

I'm thinking I'll make my own with paint from now on. The only times I've used acrylic ink in a painting up till now, it was mixed with pouring medium, so I think it's sealed in there.

btw, if you are chemically sensitive, I would stay away from ammonia, even a little bit! That stuff is strong!