PDA

View Full Version : New to acrylics

taffy
07-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi folks, I'm usually in coloured pencil forum, and I am trying this medium, here are my first three attempts,Critique please, first is 15 x 11 on framed canvas Ponte Veccia. The 2nd, seascape 15 x 13 canvas on PDF board , the rocks & hills are a mixture of paper cloth & modeling compound/ impasto gel, to try and give a 3D effect, the paper cloth can be seen top of photo. the 3rd a Rotti is 11 x 7 on cavas board.
I am having great fun with this, & so much to learn, all help will be appreciated.
Brianhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2008/113459-IMG_2842.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2008/113459-IMG_2836.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2008/113459-IMG_2839.JPG

Ms.Understood
07-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I sincerely mean this in a good way, your drawing background is obvious! The sketch-like look of the detail in these paintings has a unique style!

susme48
07-21-2008, 10:30 PM
Welcome to acrylics, Brian!!! These are nice! I really love the rotti, the citiscape is interesting....the seascape seems somehow wrong, to me...the water seems off, but that is just me. I like the textured rocks!!

OkeeKat
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Hi Brian and welcome to our forum!!
I too love the look of the rotti, great brushstrokes and color!!
The city scene is very good, think you need some shadows on the buildings they seem kinda flat.. the water under the bridge should be similar to rest in color, maybe a tad darker.. some lighter ripples horizontal lines acrossed show surface and depth..as well as along the edges of the water.
the first is good. but I believethe rocks are tooo similar..the crevaces are too straight and unnatural.. maybe some more darks for shadows and lighter tones on top for highlights might help.. the water is good but waves usualy only crash in very shallow water.. maybe just some lights and darks showing little swells and ripples in the water. Be patient.. takes time.. I still cant do water good yet. Keep up the good work!!

Bizkit
07-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Well done, Bravo!!!!! Keep up the good work!

taffy
07-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Thanks folks, things are a bit different to pencil, Ive changed the sea & altered the rock shading, also broke up the rocks abit, seems to me better, but still alot of room for inprovementhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2008/113459-seascape.jpg

Netty
07-22-2008, 04:44 AM
I love your bright colours you have captured by the ocean, it is a very Aussie look :)
I am very new to acrylics as well, so I have no experinece to help you, but I think you have done a wonderful job on your efforts so far,
best of luck , and enjoy this new medium as I have been too .
Annie.

edtree
07-22-2008, 07:55 AM
:wave: Hi Brian!

How wonderful that you're giving acrylics a go! I like the speed of this medium compared to colored pencil, but that's not to say that certain subjects still don't call out for cps! Good to be versatile. :lol:

I thought all three of these showed much promise. I was especially taken with the second one! The buildings are wonderful and so are the reflections in the water! Great job too on the dog, especially with your blacks and highlights - NOT easy to do to look right!

I would have to agree though that the first could benefit from a few tweaks but there's also a lot of wonderful things about it! I like the texture you've used on the rocks although I agree with Kathie that they're a bit too too uniform and what might also be described as controlled. If you haven't done it already, a great place to get advice on these types of scenes is the marine forum. One of the hints that Marty C gave me last time I posted there was that ocean/sea water is more gray than blue! You might consider this as well., especially for the areas along the horizon. Compositionally, I think the painting is quite pleasantly arranged. I also love the sky and birds, which gives it a sense of freedom and peace.

On the overall though, these are all quite nice actually. I have a feeling you're going to be growing in acrylics in leaps and bounds. Glad to have you join us and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future! :D

Elizabeth

LavenderFrost
07-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Advice is already given, so I'll just say these are a good start. I know going from acrylics to coloured pencil is tricky because I have to keep reminding myself to work from front to back. Does it feel strange for you to be able to work back to front?

OkeeKat
07-22-2008, 11:54 AM
OHH I love the changes you have made to the water and the rocks!! so much better!!! your seagulls are excellent btw!! Your doing great!!!

noodle1
07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Welcome to acrylics, from the get go I think you'll master this in no time.
First three I can really appreciate, having started surrendering my life long obsession with pencil, colored or graphite. Still think there's more control in those..:lol: but you did very,very well. The changes to the seascape are amazing, looks like you've been using acrylics for awhile. Love the colors and the entire feeling of the painting. Having fun with it is key.

Elaine

taffy
07-22-2008, 09:20 PM
This is a nice welcome to this forum, thank you all, something that I find amazing ,is the way one can completely change the composition, as I have done with the sea, this would not be possible in colored pencil, & its so easy to work from dark to light!!!.
Netty, very perceptive, its from a photo I took of Oyster bay, east coast Tasmania. also looking at the photo, I can see that the sea has a lot more gray than blue, something to remember in future.

Brian

susme48
07-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Love the change to the sea!!

Paetau
07-25-2008, 02:12 AM
I really like your "redo" good work...I know it can be hard to paint over what is semi okay...it's the fear of the unknown! We don't like to throw away a good canvas...but thats how we learn...anywho I am rambling now
Welcome to the forum...
Julie