PDA

View Full Version : Orchids in Abstract-for C and C please

arl
07-21-2008, 03:36 PM
This painting is on 10 by 12 inch gallery wrapped canvas. It is based on an image in the RIL; thank you Giselle. I was interested in the abstract shapes created by the 2 or more orchids. I went to look and sketch real orchids and on the RIL photo I was able to locate the main orchid. As I said, I was interested in the abstract shapes and I tried to unite the shapes with the dark values. How do you feel the painting reads and flows; is it too chaotic? I added some violet lines to the ochre background; do you think the strokes are too dark? I decided to add texture to the light and mid tones. Any advice would be more than welcome. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2008/114108-orchids_resized.jpg

chammi kaiser
07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Arlene. I like the abstract idea of this very much. I do feel however that it lacks a little umphh!! You asked for advice and mine would be that you brighten up some of the purply shades . The tones of the painting are too similar. I think some glazing of the colours would bring this more to life. It certainly is not chaotic . There are some nice interesting shapes and the composition works well. Hope this helps a little.

OkeeKat
07-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Arlene! this is very pretty, love the colors, but I tend to agree with Chammi!!, maybe some bold brushstrokes of Red and purple would be great!!

arl
07-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Thanks all for your help and advice.

Artchrispy
07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Hey Arlene. Looking good so far. Maybe just add a thicker, darker layers of purple shades near the center. A thicker buildup would work nice against the thinner lighter yellows and the yellows would recede some. Great color scheme and composition.