PDA

View Full Version : Evening Shift

Donna T
07-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone, time to get your opinions on this one. I took the photo a few weeks ago and wish I could do this as a plein air but there's no place to park - and now it's too hot! 12x16 on heavy water color paper with white AS primer.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2008/97763-Evening_Shift_WC_0549.jpg
C&C much appreciated. I tried to push colors just a little since the photo kind of washed out the lighter areas. This is supposed to be a wheat field, hopefully it looks like some kind of grain. I did lots of squinting to try to stay with my value plan. It probably doesn't show here but that far shadow is lighter and a little more blue than the others. I'm assuming shadows follow the "rules" of atmosperic perspective?
Thanks for looking and have a great weekend!
Donna

Susan Jenkins
07-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Oh Donna... this is lovely. Yes, it does look like a wheat field to me!

I love the light shining through the tree on the right... and the value changes on the trees on the left. I think you could even punch up those highlights a little more which might make the shadows even more convincing.

VERY NICE!!

Adriana Meiss
07-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi Donna,
You are getting really good at aerial perspective! I love that tonal gradation in the distance, it gives the idea of haze.
The pointillist stroke is very effective in the wheat field, and overall there is good color harmony. I like the composition too.
The only thing (and this could be just me or my monitor) is that although I like the blue shadows, I read them as too cool.

maw-t
07-18-2008, 07:57 PM
WOW... To my eyes you NAILED this one! Love it!

Donna T
07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks Susan, Adriana and T. I appreciate the feedback very much. Adriana, I think my shadows are showing up as too blue, they aren't quite that intense IRL. I don't usually Photoshop my stuff because I can never adjust one thing without wrecking the others but this is a little better image (bigger too). Shadows still too blue?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2008/97763-Eidt_for_WC_700_wide0549.jpg
Thanks again,
Donna

Paula Ford
07-18-2008, 08:06 PM
It's really beautiful Donna!

Adriana Meiss
07-18-2008, 08:07 PM
This is much better!

knippes
07-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Donna,
I just love this one. I think that you did a great job across the board, but I particularly like the sunlit wheat. Wonderful!
--Kym

BabyBeeb
07-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Wow Donna, this is really a beautiful piece! I think you need to sign it and put a frame on it!

edencompton
07-18-2008, 09:40 PM
This is beautiful Donna! I love the temperature changes and the way you applied the pastel -- it has a very interesting texture on my monitor. At first blush, it actually reminded me of a Milton Avery painting (one of my favorite painters). I love the way you simplified the planes -- great job Donna!!

klord
07-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Real strong painting, Donna! Your shapes, values and color are working real well. YOur depth is incredible. One very small thing, and doesn't need fixing or anything because this piece works so well, but when composing you might consider where the lower shadow on top of the wheat meets the upright stalks of the wheat... right now they meet at a point at the very edge of the painting creating an arrow pointing your eye out of the picture. Extremely subtle here so doesn't need anymore work... I am being REALLY picky.
Great piece!

Enid Goyers
07-19-2008, 02:10 AM
One more of your fine and beautiful paintings. Very, very nice.
Enid

Donna T
07-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks so much Paula, Adriana, Kym, Brenda, Eden, Kim and Enid. Having all of your eyes look at this is like having a security blanket. I never want to put a painting out in the world if there is an obvious goof (or two).

Kim, You caught me! In the photo, the area you mentioned is actually tall grass that sticks up and catches the sun. I was afraid if I included it it would draw the eye to that corner. So I made an arrow instead! :lol: I see what you mean and you are so kind to point that out - I love those kinds of comments because they are actually mini-lessons. Thank you. Your "Transitory Shadows" actually inspired me to try a painting about shadows.

Tressa
07-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Donna, this is lovely, and I love the fields, the shadows, perspective, everything!!!
I am having a hard time getting good photos also; I think it is our lovely humid hot weather. I could get nothing from my camera yesterday!

PainterMike
07-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Gorgeous piece, and the feeling of serenity to this is nice!
Mike

Punky2
07-19-2008, 09:23 AM
Donna,

This is wonderful! I know exactly the kind of light that you're portraying, and it's spot on.

It looks very much like wheat.
I love the texture of the wheat in the shadow and the different greens in the dark foreground grass and the light from the little tree on the right is beautiful!

Terri

David Patterson
07-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Very beautiful Donna...your shadows are wonderful!

David

Donna T
07-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks Tressa, Mike, Terri and David. I'm glad the feeling of peace and serenity came across to you. I don't know if I could do a painting about chaos and confusion - that would be really hard!

Donna

Scottyarthur
07-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Very very nice Donna, nice colors, great recession, wonderfull shadows.

nvcricket
07-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi Donna,

It would have been nice to do this plein air, but.....would you have anticipated the grand effect of the potential of the shadows coming and worked the painting for that moment? If I had sat there without the shadows I don't know what my point of interest would be. If I had started with the shadows there, they would have moved on too fast for me to capture, except from my memory, and I get so frustrated chasing shadows, or in recollecting the effect they had on me!

I think you made a good decision to work this up from a photo.

I really like the peaceful ambiance of this one.

Frame it!

Carol

Donna T
07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Thanks Scott and Carol. That's a good point you make, Carol. This might not have worked as a plein air because those shadows move pretty fast. I'm still not to the point where I can get set up, block in the main elements and get the light patterns down before the light changes - or is gone altogether. Maybe someday! :)

Donna

Tatijana
07-21-2008, 06:16 PM
wonderful painting Donna!

mrking
07-21-2008, 08:46 PM
I love blue shadows. Very nice.

binkie
07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
This is a gorgeous painting.

binkie

Colorix
07-22-2008, 05:39 AM
WC is annoying -- I posted, but it had disappeared! (Unless I'm simply missing it, am confused enough to do that...)

It has wonderful colours, and a great depth. Yes, shadows do follow the colour perspective 'rules'.

I love these strong late afternoon colours, and light and shadow. This is glowing like jewels!

Donna T
07-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks Tatijana, Michael, Binkie and Charlie. Nice hearing from you guys!

Donna