PDA

View Full Version : Father and Daughter

amotwell
07-17-2008, 09:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2008/58881-20080717_Father_and_Daughter_Medium.jpg
11 x 14 on gallery wrapped canvas

C&C please. I'm not enclosing the reference because I'm more concerned about capturing mood and relationship than resemblance, if that makes sense. However, because I have deviated from the reference, I could definitely use your eyes to tell me if anything looks wonky or doesn't work! Thanks in advance for any and all C&C! :wave:

OkeeKat
07-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Its Great Angela!! Lovely charming scene!! only thing bothers me is the infants underneath lower leg, think its a tad longer then the one ontop, Might just be me as its hard to see the inside of the one knee in the shadow to realy determine size but thats what sticks out to me. Maybe if you just widened the top calf some with some calf muscle in the back of calf and the foot a tad bigger would be fine.. Infants usualy Have Large feet!! just like puppies :lol: But its true!! Its realy sweet painting!! Great Job!
Hope you dont think Im being to critical, if so sorry!

amotwell
07-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Not at all, Kathie! I appreciate your taking the time to look and give me feedback. I'll take another look at her feet. She's kind of a skinny baby, but I might have cheated her out of some flesh she was entitled to :)

ocmd123
07-17-2008, 10:21 PM
I think you've done a great job capturing mood and feeling with this. My one nit-pick would be Dad's forearm and wrist, which seem a bit too thin, to me (and maybe his waist, too). I like how you handled his hair. Nicely done.

Linee
07-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Wonderful mood! So innocent and lovely.

Paetau
07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
I really like this Angela!!!
The only C+C I have is the fathers abdomen!! ...a little skinny??

susme48
07-17-2008, 10:50 PM
You have captured that special bond between father and daughter...wonderful!

amotwell
07-17-2008, 10:51 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I gave the family a link to this thread, and I think they're going to get a kick out of this, too, but dad is just really skinny! I guess I captured more "likeness" and less "archetype" than I might have meant to. (Apparently it's familial; if I ever get around to painting mom, you'll see! :p)

Thanks so much Pateau, Linee, and ocmd123 for your feedback. :wave: Kathie, I still have yet to reexamine baby's lower half closely, but I will!

amotwell
07-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Susan, we cross posted. Thanks! It's good to know I got it!

roy-p
07-18-2008, 09:37 AM
The look on the father's face says it all, everything else is mere embellishment (something we we gotta paint so as to call it a complete painting). But those half-closed eyes, the look of tenderness and pride intermingled, that strong sense of bonding which I can so easily perceive... yeah, that says it all.

arl
07-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Wonderful work. I did notice the parts of the bodies out of proportion but I thought this was intentional to add to the mood of your painting.

kwg
07-18-2008, 02:30 PM
It's a wonderful portrayal of the connection between father and child and that is such a focal point-- that's where my eye goes. I would maybe tone down the bright blue area under dad's hand-- it's competing for attention. I really like the complimentary colors. A very sweet painting, I'm sure they will love it!

George Servais
07-18-2008, 04:54 PM
This is a wonderful impressionist style and is fine as is. Many folks forget that impressionism is a lot less about being realistic and a whole lot more about expressing ideas and moods. This captures a wonderful mood. The loose boldness of your strokes makes this painting masterful.
I looked at it, I got it and felt the warmth. You have achieved your goal.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

clementine
07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
what touches me a lot in this painting is the tenderness you put in the father's eyes..
clem

amotwell
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow. Thanks everyone! You made me tear up a bit. . . I'll take this opportunity to thank my Creator for allowing me to create. Anything I do well is by His grace. (And if I screw it up, blame me! :wave:)