PDA

View Full Version : irish blessing (uncial)

marie_d
07-17-2008, 06:03 AM
This is a rough draft of an Irish Blessing, will be doing it on different paper
next time and probably gouache paints.

Size 7"x6", Platignum pen and felt tip pens. Sorry its an attachment, image uploader not working.

TessDB
07-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Nice Marie! :thumbsup:

I like that small little cross at the bottom. Enough detail to be interesting and add emphasis, but not so much to overwhelm the lettering. And your knots look really good, too. I'm curious as a :cat: ... what kind of paper did you use for this? It looks like the felt-tips & the paper didn't agree with each other too much...

Rosemary

marie_d
07-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi Rosemary...yes you are right, the paper was definately absorbing the felt pen too much. I used the 'Character' woven
paper, I may try Bristol smooth board and use Poly Chromos pencils but it may be too smooth to take the ink.

Glad you liked the little cross :D, its a good job I did the text at the lower part of the paper because there was a larger
celtic cross at the top but I didn't like the set up because as you mentioned previously, the large cross was over powering the
text. So I cut it off and replaced the two corner knots at the top and put a small cross at the bottom to fill the space a bit.

I've been practising uncial by myself and I wanted to try a small piece to start with. I was learning uncial with Brian (Merryscribe)
in his calligraphy class, but I dont know whats happened, we havn't heard from him for a long time.

TessDB
07-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi Rosemary...yes you are right, the paper was definately absorbing the felt pen too much. I used the 'Character' woven
paper, I may try Bristol smooth board and use Poly Chromos pencils but it may be too smooth to take the ink.

I've used bristol smooth (but not the board, the paper) with polys & ink... Haven't had any problems with it, so I'd say *definitely* give it a whirl!

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened to Brian... Sending you pm about that--

Hope you'll post what you come up with for your final version. I really like the composition you've got happening now, so it'll be cool to see any fine-tuning you decide to do (if you decide to do any... yeesh. I'm making less and less sense! :lol: shutting up now... :lol: :lol: )

Rosemary

marie_d
07-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Thats it then, bristol smooth, polys and ink next. And I will try not to splatter my work again with ink:)

virgo68
07-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi Marie, what a lovely blessing and perfect for calligraphy. Your uncial is looking good, practice makes perfect they reckon! Hope you post your next version, will be checking back to look for it...... cheers Jackie

TessDB
07-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Oh! Shoulda warned you in case you hadn't discovered it yet... There is the chance of smearing if you put the ink *on top* of the colored pencil. Found that out the hard way. :cool: Give it a bit of dry-time before you drag your hand through some eeensy details you sweated over for hours! :D

Rosemary

marie_d
07-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Jackie...I thought it was a nice verse as well. I have collected a few other good verses but they are a bit longer than this one so will have to work out the layout properly before I try them. Will post next version when its done, thank you for looking.

Rosemary...Thanks for the tip. I get ink on me even if I'm not using it:lol:

Hiraeth
07-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Jackie...I thought it was a nice verse as well. I have collected a few other good verses but they are a bit longer than this one so will have to work out the layout properly before I try them. Will post next version when its done, thank you for looking.

Rosemary...Thanks for the tip. I get ink on me even if I'm not using it:lol:

Hi Marie!

I get ink on myself just walking past my drawing board! :o

I like your piece! Looking forward to seeing the next version!

marie_d
07-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi Kim...thanks for your nice comments.

Here is the laid out template and the finished item.

size 8"x7" Bristol board smooth,Platignum pen,Polychromos pencils, gold gel pen.

template...401531finished item401530

Decided to elongate the tips of the knotwork, and alter the last small lettering at the very bottom.
The uncial looked a bit untidy being so small.Rosemary...I ended
up smudging on the 1st Y:D but I think I tidied it up enough. You have to be
careful as well not to smudge the coloured pencil when you are erasing
your pencil lines.

TessDB
07-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Lovely, Marie! I like the changes you made to the knotwork, and the lettering is really nicely done. Green with jealousy over your steady hands!

You have to be careful as well not to smudge the coloured pencil when you are erasing your pencil lines.

Do you have a lightbox? When I combine ink & cp, I trace my outline/template/whatever on to my final paper, sometimes in ink, sometimes in cp, depending on my mood. :p By doing it that way, I don't have any graphite lines to erase or clean up. :D

So what's next?

Rosemary

Hiraeth
07-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Oh, I love it! From the sentiment to the lettering to the color to the knotwork. Great job!

Hi Kim...thanks for your nice comments.

Here is the laid out template and the finished item.

size 8"x7" Bristol board smooth,Platignum pen,Polychromos pencils, gold gel pen.

template...401531finished item401530

Decided to elongate the tips of the knotwork, and alter the last small lettering at the very bottom.
The uncial looked a bit untidy being so small.Rosemary...I ended
up smudging on the 1st Y:D but I think I tidied it up enough. You have to be
careful as well not to smudge the coloured pencil when you are erasing
your pencil lines.

marie_d
07-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks Rosemary and Kim....I don't have a light box. I found that if I taped the template to the window :lol: :D and placed the bristol board on top of it I could see the design through it. It was clear enough to chance drawing with a pencil but I didn't want to risk using ink or cp in case I messed it up, then at least it would be easy to rub out the mistake. I faintly wrote the lettering in pencil to get the right spacing then wrote it properly in ink.
Whats next?..I dont know....
Have my grandson staying with us tomorrow from Sunday to Thursday, it's the start of the summer school holidays,so over the next six weeks I will only have a couple of days over the weekends to do anything. I have been playing around with a celtic letter 'C', (its not very ornate like yours Rosemary), so I may complete that next.

TessDB
07-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I have been playing around with a celtic letter 'C', (its not very ornate like yours Rosemary), so I may complete that next.

Simple is *good*. And knowing when to let something be simple/open/lightly detailed is one of those things I really struggle with (fear of blank/empty spaces & not enough medication in the world to combat it! :lol: ).

The window is an *excellent* way to go! :D And much much cheaper than a lightbox.

Looking forward to seeing your next one! And enjoy your grandson-- My boy-o spent a week with my folks back in June. He wore them out! :lol:

Rosemary

virgo68
07-22-2008, 04:57 AM
Well done Marie! Hope you don't get "withdrawals" during the holidays and you aren't worn out by the visiting dynamo!