PDA

View Full Version : Acrylics For Oil UnderPainting?

Nancy P
07-25-1999, 05:52 PM
I would like some advise about oil paintings which also use acrylics as an "underpainting." How is this technique of underpainting done?
I am assuming that the acrylics are painted as washes? I understand that there might be some difficulty in having the oils adhere to the canvas? Is this technique accepted? What have you seen?
I had gone to an art show and saw some paintings that combined the 2 mediums. What type of varnish would be good after the painting is finished? TIA

------------------
Nancy P
http://members.aol.com/eggartnjp

jvloot
07-25-1999, 10:58 PM
The two leading advantages I see are:

1. A wash of diluted acrylics (usually burnt sienna) over a pencil drawing will avoid dirtying the oil paints. This happens when the lead mixes with the oil paints, especially with light colors.

2. It will save you time when you add lighter colors on darker ones because you don't have to wait long for drying as you do for oils.

------------------

Johannes Instructor
07-25-1999, 11:33 PM
The two leading advantages I see are:

1. A wash of diluted acrylics (usually burnt sienna) over a pencil drawing will avoid
dirtying the oil paints. This happens when the lead mixes with the oil paints,
especially with light colors.

2. It will save you time when you add lighter colors on darker ones because you
don't have to wait long for drying as you do for oils.

Nancy P
08-01-1999, 02:07 PM
Thank you for all your replies on this topic. They have been very helpful.

I was so looking forward to your online class but each time I tried to get into it Scott's class, Painting Simple Summer Foliage with Oils, came up. Can someone help me get into Diana's class? TIA

------------------
Nancy P
http://members.aol.com/eggartnjp

scottb
08-01-1999, 05:53 PM
Yikes! Thanks for pointing that out - it should be fine now. Apologies!

Scott

Diana Lee
08-02-1999, 12:33 AM
If you go to the oil painting section of art school on line you will see an example of how I do underpainting. I use acrylic because of the drying time. I don't have to worry about smearing pencil or dirtying the paints because I never draw directly on the canvas.

------------------