PDA

View Full Version : Late Spring Garden

Adriana Meiss
07-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi,
I need some help here. This is #2 of a garden series I'm painting. It was done on UArt paper, app. 5x8, mix of pastels.
401202(click to enlarge)

I like this a lot and am considering painting it in a larger format. The question is, does the reddish wall on the right detract too much from the sunlit garden? It's supposed to be a brick wall but I decided not to add any details.
Suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

Thank you,

mississhippi
07-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Hi Adriana,
My eye was drawn straight to the red wall when I opened the thumbnail. I think it is too bright to be a background wall. If you want to keep it in that tone it will need to be darkened or it will detract from the lovely garden. Also, the red colour you have used fights with the lovely deep red of the tree/shrub on the other side of the painting.

I love the painting, and feel that it will be great as a larger piece. The light and shade on the garden are lovely.

There will be others with more experience than I to comment on this I am sure but hope my comments help.

Tressa
07-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Take the wall down to a cooler red, and just a shade or two darker value than the adjacent wall., if you darken it, it will be even more prominent and lose your tree..Try scumbling some lavender over...
Tres

Enid Goyers
07-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi,
Apart from the right reddish corner it is a beautifully colored painting. Very nicely done, the flowers and the plants, especially the red bush. Very pretty. Maybe the red at the right could be done in a lighter tone? It is dominant as it is right now.
Enid

Scottyarthur
07-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Adriana I not sure you need the wall there at all for me it is a major distraction for such a lovely painting. Try taking a peice of paper make a cut out to place over that area and try some different colors on it and see what works. personnly when I look at it I feel boxed in, try that cut out in a nice lite sky blue.

Donna T
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi Adriana, I hope you don't mind a little manipulation of your image. To me, the color of the brick wall isn't as distracting as the hard edge of the house. You have some nice strong verticals with the porch rail, windows and fence so I think you could afford to lose some of the vertical element here. I love this garden and you have the most beautiful light on it! Since I was messing with your painting I moved the tree trunk a little too. Maybe you don't need it at all? :) Just some ideas, keep us updated with any changes.

Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jul-2008/97763-Edit.jpg

chatfieldstudios
07-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Beautiful little painting Adriana!. I also think the red wall is distracting, and that Donna's suggestion might just do the trick.:thumbsup:

Kathryn Wilson
07-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I like Donna's idea too, but that red still draws the eye. Cool is down a bit.

Paula Ford
07-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Beautiful Adriana! I think the red wall is also distracting and love Donna's suggestion.

IMaybe
07-16-2008, 02:16 PM
:clap: Yes, this is a great little painting and will make a really nice larger one!!! Donna's suggestions are really good, and also Tressa's so maybe combine these 2 idea's to complelte your larger painting!!!!I envey the way you do your gargen foliage, it is really nice and I too love the red tree on the left.

Adriana Meiss
07-16-2008, 04:29 PM
You guy were all right on the spot. That red wall is very tempting, :evil:!
I did try to change the color before submitting it here, but ended up with that red. It's one of those things you know it's not right, but deep inside you hope it is. My husband feels vindicated with your verdict!

Donna, Wow, it's amazing how improved it looks! Thank you so much for taking the time to show me this possibility. I'm going to Maryland next month (for real), do you feel like fixing it for me?:lol: I know my tree won't be as nice as yours!

Kathryn, I see what you mean. I'll try some lavender over it as Tressa suggested.

Even if I do not mention you all, thank you again for taking the time and pointing out what needed to be done and for your kind comments!

Donna T
07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm glad you're not offended with what I did to your painting, Adriana. I'd hate to upset someone by doing this. Actually, my tree attempt looked like something out of a lava lamp. My Photoshop skills are pretty poor. My son showed me a leaf tool and fixed it up. I wish he would slow down so I could take notes! I hope you actually get to see trees here in MD ... it's getting so hazy!

Donna

binkie
07-16-2008, 06:19 PM
I think it's lovely!

binkie

PainterMike
07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Wow! BEAUTIFUL, and full of light & life!
Mike

Karen Margulis
07-16-2008, 07:53 PM
What a nice painting. I love the flowers and the light you've created. Keep us posted on any changes you decide on.
karen

Artistammy
07-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I tried more of a brown color & it certainly doesn't draw the eye like the red does. Experiment & see what you like.
Tammy

Adriana Meiss
07-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Binkie, PainterMike, Karen, Artistammy, Thank you all!

Artistammy, Thanks for showing me yet another way of solving this problem. Elaine had suggested to darken that area too, but its easier to get the idea this way without messing with the painting.
That area shouldn't be so empty,so I'll combine several of the ideas you guys have given me. Thanks,