PDA

View Full Version : Finished (almost) and a question

~~Kathleen
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Here it is almost done.
On 1/4 MDF board 30" X 30"
I changed the right side shoreline to rocks and boulders, it just made so much more sense, and gave me one last kick @ the molding paste before I was done!:)
As well, I extended the pools of water right to the bottom of the painting.
The question that I have is about the water!
I think that the dark blue is too blue. I know it has to be leveled and the touch @ the shore lines defined a bit better with a whiter blue.
But at the same time, I think that the water pools in the foreground should remain a bit darker!
Can anyone offer suggestions?
An aside.... For anyone wanting to try using this molding paste, I used Goldens Gel Mediums/ light molding paste.
It is very easy to work with and with the help of a pallet knife and a trusty emery board was shaped the way I really wanted it before after it dried!
If I got some where I did not want it to go, again the emery board was a great tool. It is easy to paint over, and with blotting when the paint is wet, wonderful effects are available!

~~Kathleen
Who thinks the capability of posting larger photos is just awesome. Thanks Wet Canvas!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2008/92567-abc.jpg

Smoker
07-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Kathleen - the water should probably get lighter (slightly) as you go father back. Also the sun or just bright light should be reflected in the ripples. On the left of the painting, near the bottom, the pool of water looks flat.

This is a very beautiful painting and when you're finished it's going to be outstanding.

Smoker

Spyderbabe
07-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Would you consider some green tones in the water?
I really like the effect of the paste... is it also in the pine needles? The tree is outstanding.

~~Kathleen
07-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the kind words Smoker.
I am smiling here, as I roughed in both pools on the left side just before I took the picture of the painting.
Yep, I said to myself, someone is going to comment on this... and you did:lol:
They are not finished yet!
As for sun, there was ambient light, but no sun as this is atop a mountain in Japan. I have added a lot more light than there actually was for painting and appearances sake.

Spyderbabe, thanks for your comments. There is actually a lot of green in the water already. I do agree with you that the water should be a lot lighter towards the foreground.
As for the paste, it is only where the rocks are and a wee bit on the ground to the left of the tree.
And re the tree, there must be at least 40 different mixes of colour on the needles and branches it was one stroke at a time for that!:)
I actually like the tree as well, and it was just not done until I added the pine cones.
~~Kathleen

gaykir
07-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Kathleen - First this is an amazing piece!! Love the tree and the rocks. I agree with smoker though and I think you mis-understood. The water should be darker in front not lighter. It should get lighter and more reflective as it resedes back. Have you asked the question in the marine forum?

OkeeKat
07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
I Love the rocks and trees Kathleen Its great so far, can only imaging the completed version will be fantastic!! Agree the water could use some lighter tones especialy in the distance. More whitish along the waters edge at the rocks where it splashes up as it runs by the rocks. Looking forward to the update!!

~~Kathleen
07-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks Gayle and Kathie for your kind remarks.
Re the water... A very big issue with this painting.
As I have taken a great deal of artistic license with
the light in this painting already, I am content to
have the background water lighter.
As the front (bottom of the canvas) small pools are
shaded by the boulders/rocks I feel that the water
should be darker in these areas.

Remember, the water in this area is almost not
moving at all, with the exception of where it was
trickling down over the rocks behind the tree,
In the actual photograph (which I do not have
access to right now) the pools of water are almost
black. Again, here I have used Artistic license with the
colouring of it.
Below is a photo I do have of the background area
behind the tree and pool of water. You can see just
how dark the whole area (Including the front where the
tree was) was in actuality.
Light was almost non existent here.
But the scene was/is irresistible.
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2008/92567-for_Susan.JPG

RPut
07-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Kathleen, this is looking wonderful. I love the rocks and the details in the tree. Waiting to see how/what you have at the finish! Ruthie

sonita
07-15-2008, 07:01 PM
1st of all I have to tell you that I love the composition...you did a great job with the molding paste [god, I love this stuff :) , u should see what I have done with my walls at home with that stuff !!] I think the water needs a bit more green as well!! Great job though :)
Soni

edtree
07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
:wave: Hi Kathleen!

I think if it were mine, I'd be afraid to do anymore to it for fear of messing it up.:lol: Ta heck with all the rules, I like this as is. The foreground tree is stupendous! I also love the little pine in the middle back. It's placed nicely too to draw the eye in (after admiring the OTHER tree of course)!

This is, in my opinion, your best! The style suits you so well and the outcome is awesome!!! :D :clap: :D

Elizabeth

Linee
07-15-2008, 07:34 PM
A wonderful tapestry of texture. Almost hard to believe it isn't textile art. Lovely.

howyadoin
07-15-2008, 08:08 PM
I'd be tempted to leave it as it is, actually. The blue might not be right from a logical standpoint, but emotionally it feels right.

susme48
07-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Absolutely LOVE the trees!!! The rocks are outstanding...which I suppose is logical since the molding paste would make them stand out away from the flat canvas...lol!!! Seriously, I agree with Elizabeth....it truly is awesome!!!!!

~~Kathleen
07-15-2008, 08:41 PM
I think I do agree!
Thanks Bret, Susan, Linda,Elizabeth,Sonita & Ruth.
I will finish up the new pools of water @ the bottom and sign it, and post the Finale later!
I have had just so much fun with this one!
~~Kathleen
....And yes Bret, it is an emotional thing How astute of you to notice.

JamieWG
07-15-2008, 08:49 PM
Kathleen, I really like what you're doing with the textures here! The dark blue does not read too blue to me in the foreground. I'd bring the color out more in the front than in the back, as you indicated in your comments.

Jamie