PDA

View Full Version : Yee Haw .. I'm a happy camper!

Wayne Gaudon
07-17-2002, 06:39 PM
864 little one inch squares all done .. color chart study.

Amazingly tedius but very eye opening at times. These will definately help me with my future efforts. Thanks to all who lent a hand while I picked and choose from the offerings to come up with my idea of how I would like to do charts.

12 charts 10 x 20 of 72 1 inch blocks of color per chart .. amazing little discoveries along the way.

As James Brown said " I feel good"

artbabe21
07-17-2002, 06:50 PM
Wayne!
What a patient man you are. Those are wonderful---so it looks like you learned much along the way! Good for you---as Pres. I like to know you are continuing your progress towards Tina & my commissions!!!!!!! LOL
Cathleen~:angel:

DraigAthar
07-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Holy cow, Wayne! That looks like it was a LOT of work! Does it feel good to have it all done? :)

Amy

Wayne Gaudon
07-17-2002, 07:14 PM
Cath
.. remind me again why I like you! :D

How come my club only has 2 memebers? LOL I know the answer .. I got the 2 best available so I don't need anymore right!

If you saw me behind the wheel driving through Montreal you would never ever say I had patience. Whew .. what an experience.

BTW .. how was your trip .. get the lilly pad done?

Amy
.. yup a lot of work .. had to stop painting for a bit to get it done but now that it is done .. I'm overjoyed. All my color patches have a working formula so I can find any of them with relative ease. Not exact science as I eyeballed the measurements but close enough to get me where I want to go.

cobalt fingers
07-17-2002, 07:15 PM
This has gotta be like passing a kidney stone. I've never done either color charts or the kidney stone but I know I would be proud of either accomplishment! AND it must feel better when it stops hurting.:angel:

cobalt fingers
07-17-2002, 07:17 PM
Who ya kidding Wayne, Gamblin sent me one of those color charts too. It's neat how they look hand done. I've pinned mine up too.

Wayne Gaudon
07-17-2002, 07:21 PM
:D Tim :D
... very funny LOL I've done both and I'll take doing the charts anyday. I need therepy for my neck after doing those suckers but passing stones is another story and I'm not going there .. even the memory hurts. :D

artbabe21
07-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by cobalt fingers
Who ya kidding Wayne, Gamblin sent me one of those color charts too. It's neat how they look hand done. I've pinned mine up too.

LOL!!!!!!!! If I didn't stand up for your integrity Wayne, I'd be fired as Pres. I KNOW he did these Tim-------actually yes, HE REALLY DID! I DO give him credit for what I wouldn't do. Good try though Tim, and medals to you for the MOST threads of pure high quality thought provking, responses!

Wayne, still on my trip. I painted again this morn, the shadows on the pond are so fleeting I am on my second day at it. But, it's coming along better than my trees, but that's NOT saying much!
Besides I am so slow, since plein aire is so for me.

I was sure pleased with the finished portrait DJ did for me. She's a real hoot and an amazing talent!
Cath~

Wayne Gaudon
07-17-2002, 07:34 PM
Now now don't be slapping yourself .. there's a lineup for that and I'm first in line.
:D

Speed comes with time and we all know how fast time flies so you will get there.

I agree, DJ is amazing. Do you two live in the same area or did you just get togeather and did it get softened?

cobalt fingers
07-17-2002, 07:34 PM
probably just square inch envy on my part.

Wayne Gaudon
07-17-2002, 07:37 PM
Haw haw .. oh God .. got to put this wine glass down till Tim stops cause I got tears in my eyes .. square inch envy tooooooooooooo much! LOL

artbabe21
07-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Wayne Gaudon
Now now don't be slapping yourself .. there's a lineup for that and I'm first in line.
I agree, DJ is amazing. Do you two live in the same area or did you just get togeather and did it get softened?

Wayne, thanks for being first in line LOL!

No, DJ lives in AZ, I sent her some very good digital photos Jerry took. All done on the internet. So cool, to watch as she progressed. Like sitting on her shoulder. Yes, it smoothed out nicely--the photos of the finish varied some due to light.
Cath~:o

Wayne Gaudon
07-17-2002, 07:44 PM
Glad you got what you bargained for.

later,

DraigAthar
07-17-2002, 07:57 PM

.. yup a lot of work .. had to stop painting for a bit to get it done but now that it is done .. I'm overjoyed.

I wondered why we hadn't seen any paintings from you recently!

Amy

p.s. can't I be in your fan club, too? I could be the mascot ...

Wayne Gaudon
07-17-2002, 08:32 PM
Amy
mascot ?? right you are .. I never ever ever try to understand a woman. It's a lot less stress!

.. Pres and Vp we now got three. :D

artbabe21
07-17-2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by DraigAthar
p.s. can't I be in your fan club, too? I could be the mascot ...

OK, but you could be 2nd VP------there's going to be a WHOLE lotta profits, better position yourself higher UP on the ladder of receiving, Amy! LOL

DraigAthar
07-17-2002, 09:04 PM
But Cathleen, VP sounds so important. If I'm the mascot, it means all i have to do is sit around and amuse folks. I'm good at that. See, here's proof:
http://ids.devbrain.com/index.cgi?mode=image&album=/Draig&image=silly.jpg

;)

Amy

cobalt fingers
07-17-2002, 09:33 PM
Wayne you've got more females than a drummer.

DraigAthar
07-17-2002, 09:48 PM
Oh but Tim, I'm a fan of YOURS, too, I love your paintings. I just didn't know if there was a Tim Fan Club. :)

Amy

cobalt fingers
07-17-2002, 09:52 PM
extremely small and not widely remarked club (see my signature from Shakespeare)

cobalt fingers
07-17-2002, 10:10 PM
good for you Wayne

I'm really impressed with the effort-I only know of two people that have done that; you and Richard Schmid!

A nice small group

Ginette
07-17-2002, 10:43 PM
This is a piece of art in it's own right.
Are you selling prints of this ... Just kidding.:D

I think it's great that you did this.

WOW

Ginette

coulter
07-17-2002, 10:52 PM
I'm in too although I'm the other gender. gotta love Waynes dedication and can't wait to see what he produces now as a result...

I'll think I'll just study these for a while......

Wayne Gaudon
07-18-2002, 05:31 AM
Oh yea Amy's definately mascot .. too funny .. love a sense of humor ..

Tim
.. Leopoldo did his using the Richard Schmid models and I must admit that when I saw an artist of Leopold's stature doing the charts, I just knew there was more to it than just painting squares. I am glad I did make the time as they will be valuable to me until my brain can take it all in.

Ginette
.. geesh I get nothing for my paintings so I would have to pay to sell prints of these .. I'll pass :D

coulter
.. I've never known guys to be in fan clubs .. so we'll let you be a fan of the high three (P,VP,M) and now we are five. LOL

Pres
.. don't forget to get the $100,000.00 entry fee for anyone below mascot. It's gonna cost a lot to have all your heads checked for getting in this line.:D :evil: :angel: :D

guillot
07-18-2002, 09:31 AM
:evil: Wayne, Nice Plan!! :D Entry Fees, and Commissions. Hey Pres and Mascot (Amy :) welcome aboard)- WE'RE GOIN TO BE RICH!!

Wayne - I love your color charts. As I said "somewhere", my portraiture teacher suggested to us that we do this, although I've not taken the time to do so. He also suggested that we do texture and effects charts as well. He had a marvelous collection of charts - very impressive and very dedicated!!! Maybe one day, I'll have the patience for 1" squares :D.

So, you are very dedicated to your work as well :clap: They look fabulous.

VP

artbabe21
07-18-2002, 10:26 AM
.. don't forget to get the $100,000.00 entry fee for anyone below mascot. It's gonna cost a lot to have all your heads checked for getting in this line.:D :evil: :angel: :D

ROFL-------too funny Wayne!!

Tim, I am a HUGE fan of your work!!! I haven't seen your article in
American Artist, mainly since my subscription lapsed but I am out today to purchase it. Going to H.C.Meiniger's in Denver today. Very old and wonderful art supply, practically historic here.
Cathleen~

guillot
07-18-2002, 10:39 AM
Yeppers! I love Tim's work too!! I've read his article about 10 times now. AND, he has a huge fan club whether he knows it or not, right here at WC. - Tina

Wayne Gaudon
07-18-2002, 11:21 AM
Thanks Tina .. BTW .. it's Pres who is handing out the money.

You can't look at any volume of Tim's art and not be a fan of his work (all of 1 Painting should be enough to convert you) .. he is there!

But .. Mister Square Inch Envy better not steal away my members or he is gonna know first hand how kidney stone pain feels. LOL

:evil:

cobalt fingers
07-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Ah, I now have another nickname I can never use!

artbabe21
07-18-2002, 06:18 PM
I couldn't find it! July issue of American Artist???????????? Tina??
Cath~

guillot
07-18-2002, 06:33 PM
Hi Cathleen :D

No, it's in the August 2002 issue of The Artists Magazine, front cover and everything :D GREAT ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!! "A Brave Approach to Still Lifes", and it also has an article in there by Chris Saper. Great issue to have on hand!!

BTW - Wayne says you have all the money........Where's VP and Mascots cut??? And wasn't there another one?? Coulter??? Or is he "our Fan?" hee hee (Just kidding, of course)

Tina

artbabe21
07-18-2002, 08:11 PM
Whew, then they didn't have the new ones yet at the art store today. So I will look other places for it. CONGRATS TIM!!!!!! Can't wait to see it.

Tina,
Wayne hasn't dispersed any funds as yet.........don't worry, I' be sure you get your cut, Amy you too. Right now he'd tell us, we could chip in on his art supplies if we think we will be profit sharing!!!!

guillot
07-18-2002, 10:42 PM
:evil: well Catherine, we're just going to have to go get him aren't we! :evil:

Back to the color charts that Wayne so wonderfully labored over. I'm curious to know how many artists have done this themselves. I could see where this would definitely cut some of my time out, if I could just look up, find the color I'm after along with the recipe. Maybe I should've been a little more serious about the suggestion my instructor gave to us! Although, I do keep some color mix recipes handy, they are not so "organized" and beautiful. I have to dig for them :(.

So, how many of you guys have actually taken the time to do this????? I'm curious to know.

Tina

nam26b
07-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Whew............nice job.........gives me neck cramps just seeing those babies.

how many of you guys have actually taken the time to do this????? I'm curious to know

I did a few much messier and less complete charts. I just have every color I own alone and mixed with every other color.

It's a good reference, but a lot of the time I don't even keep track of what I'm mixing, I just keep looking back and forth at my paint and the object until it's close enough. It's a lot like tuning an instrument...a little up, a little down until it's just right (or as close as your skill will allow you to get).

Nathan

Wayne Gaudon
07-19-2002, 05:30 AM
nam26b
thanks .. I think that while doing the charts you get a lot of eye openers .. for example you can get close to the same color with different color combinations.
The charts are certainally not the end all but until the mind can absord the different hues produced by different actions it will save mixing piles of color that you can't use in a particlar piece as I have done on more occassions than I care to think about.

Tina, VP
Beauty, I just finished making all these charts and screwed up three paintings in a row because of color. It's that old thing .. buy 500.00 worth of paint and for sure your next painting will suck.

It's almost as if you work against yourself and you try subconsciously to give yourself a reason to quit.

ie. All that money and I don't know what I am doing or all that time and effort on those charts and I'm still where I was before I done them. I knowyhis stupid feeling won't last and the efforts of the charts will take their place and improve my quality of art but right now it's hard to convince me I did the right thing. Weird weird weird.

Ok, now I feel better .. got that off my chest.

PS .. very seductive tiny head .. quite a diff from the girl next door! :evil:

coulter
07-19-2002, 09:36 AM
Wayne,
Charles Dunn in his book "Conversations in Painting" talks about learning plateaus. How we all get to a certain point and stop until there's some sort of breakthrough and we're onto another massive learning period until we hit another plateau. The important thing is DON'T QUIT!

Guillot, I'll be your fan as long as the dues are a little less steep...:cat:

Mark

artbabe21
07-19-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by guillot
:evil: well Catherine, we're just going to have to go get him aren't we! :evil:

Who IS Catherine????????? Somehow she keeps popping up.
Cathleen~:rolleyes:

Wayne Gaudon
07-19-2002, 10:17 AM
Mark, thanks .. I could never quit even if I wanted too. I'm addicted.

:D:evil: Tina, careful with Mark here, he is hoping that you're cheap!:evil: :D

What, No Catherine? .. there goes another one.
Must be that Tim guy just getting in there and getting out with who he can. Help! :D

guillot
07-19-2002, 12:08 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!! AH.....Cathleen.......I'm so sorry :o!! I don't know why in the world I did that! DJstar has thrown us all for a loop :)

Hi Wayne :evil: I think now I'll have to change that tinyhead again. It's not my intention to portray a "seductive" type. It's a tinyhead from a project I did for Orchidlovers event last weekend. I don't know who she is!! I got tired of looking at myself ;).

Well, Coulter, I don't know what to say !?! I believe Wayne set the dues. Or was it you Cathleen?? (See....I got it right). But this is about Wayne's fan club.........isn't it?? I'm flattered to think that someone would want to be a fan of mine, though I don't feel that I'm at a level to have a "fan" yet :o.

Wayne, I think eventually your charts will fall into place for you. It takes tremendous time to put them together, and you did such a great job on them. Maybe you are at that "plateau" that Coulter speaks of, and something will "click" for ya soon. I think I get to those "plateaus", and then fall off the edge before leaping for the next one :(. I would think that these charts are a great tool. I'm still interested to find how many artists here at WC have done the same, and whether they have benefited from them as well.

Tina

Wayne Gaudon
07-19-2002, 12:53 PM
You should start up a new thread cause people probably gave up on this rant and rave joke one years ago.

Later,

MrSpringGreen
07-19-2002, 01:55 PM
If all you people ever talk is money, then I'm not joining.:p

I'm going to take my ball and go home.;)

:p
pppppppppphhhhththththththththttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!
All this talk about money! What happened to "art for arts sake?!?!?!" Next thing you knkow, you people are actually gonna talk about going internation with this fan club of yours... you'll probably take those paint charts;) of yours and sell them for too much money.:D I guess the next thing you know we'll be seeng a painting of a single full tube of paint... and you will call it "Art". Or putting an unmade bed in a gallery and calling it "Art".;)

The nerve of some people.:cool:

cobalt fingers
07-19-2002, 02:35 PM
Hey...........I like it

guillot
07-19-2002, 03:48 PM
:confused:

Wayne Gaudon
07-19-2002, 04:30 PM
I saw a bed sheet stretched on a stretcher and it had those little red dots you buy at Stapels or Business Depoit pasted on it. My wife touched it and the guard quickly came over and told us not to touch the art or we'd have to leave .. I told him if that is what was being passed off as art to please point to the nearest exit.

National Gallery in Ottawa .. some nice stuff but a whole lotta junk and I don't care what anyone says about art being anything. Maybe art galleries should classify and say .. Paintings only on this floor, toilets and other stuff on this floor, etc.

Tim .. ??????????????????????????????????????

coulter
07-20-2002, 12:03 PM
Funny, but for me it would be art if you painted a canvas to look like a bedsheet and the painted a bunch of canvas dots to look like the office sticker kind and stuck 'em on. :D

But, before we get this whole thread transfered to the art-joke channel.

I would like to know what other people did for charts, color, value, arrangement of the color wheel?

cobalt fingers
07-20-2002, 03:25 PM
art in a tube for sale--big bucks here