PDA

View Full Version : Any Port in a Storm.

bertschikon
07-14-2008, 03:36 PM
This painting was submitted to the Structured Critique forum a few weeks ago. I commented at the time that I was unsure why I would want to paint this rather sombre image for the second time – the first being in soft pastel over thirty years ago and unfinished. On reflection I guess the reason is that it is a forgotten corner of an old home that has been in the family for six generations. When it was first built it was in the style of a longhouse with a dividing wall separating it into two sections. On the one side lived the family and on the other the animals. My parents lived there briefly from 1953 to 1961 and, although I was away earning my living on the Queen’s business I returned to see my parents from time to time. It was on one of these visits in 1954 that I took the reference photograph for the painting. It is of a window in the Laithe, or cow barn. The house has been extensively refurbished by my cousin who lives there now. He told me the other day that he still has the wooden hay rake shown in the painting.

The support is gesso primed hardboard measuring 16in x 20in and W&N Finity paints provided the colour. Imaginative touches are the butterfly and the raindrops on the window. C&C are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2008/137418-Any_Port_in_a_Storm.jpg

Marmsk
07-14-2008, 03:48 PM
This is so nice, I love it. It invites you to come in and explore.
Marmsk

aszurblue
07-14-2008, 03:58 PM
I so totally love this!! Very rarely would something like this appeal to me. But you have pulled this off nicley... Love the rain and the butterfly is just the right pop of color.. Good Job! Azure

gaykir
07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
This is exquisite! I could look at this for a very long time and never tire of it!

debee
07-14-2008, 04:59 PM
This is lovely! The stonework and the cobwebs are well done.

lilbelle
07-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Doug, this is fabulous! It really makes you want to explore every dusty corner. I love all the little details. Wonderfully done!!

OkeeKat
07-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Doug, This is Excellent! I love the dusty old look of the building and the pail and rake kinda shows its in cleanup state and the touch of the pretty butterfly adds a new life to it all!! Very well done!!!

susme48
07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Truly well done!! I love older buildings, and looking for 'treasures'...so this has alot of appeal to me!

howyadoin
07-14-2008, 06:23 PM
That's quite evocative.

Bizkit
07-14-2008, 07:39 PM
I think we got ourselves a pro here....Great work of art !!!!!

bertschikon
07-15-2008, 05:41 AM
Marmsk, Azure, Gayle, Debbie, Lillian, Kathie, Susan, howyadoin and Bizkit; So glad that you liked the painting and thank you for your comments. I too find the painting evocative and it reminds me of my ancestors. My grandparents had their wedding photograph taken in the yard in 1899 and my great grandparents celebrated their golden wedding there in 1910 surrounded by their extended family. So many memories from a bit of brown paint!

Grace5
07-15-2008, 05:56 AM
Wonderful painting, love the added touch of the butterfly and raindrops on the window.

Linee
07-15-2008, 07:01 AM
I love old places! You've done a great job!

arl
07-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Great work. I love the composition.

TxAggieDarlin
07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
It is fantastic...be proud :)

purplepansey
07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Doug I can see why you wanted to paint it and how wonderful to have this , in my opinion, great work of art done from part of the family home. I love the look of it, even though quite somber and the look of forgotten and long ago, it works so well with the palette you've chosen. The light and shadow, the cobwebs, everything about this painting to me says "masterpiece!"

LavenderFrost
07-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Well done, I really like this. There's something special about old places.

bertschikon
07-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Grace5, Linda, Arlene, TxAggieDarlin, Purple and LavenderFrost: Thank you very much for your kind comments. It makes this hobby so worth while.

howyadoin
07-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Marmsk, Azure, Gayle, Debbie, Lillian, Kathie, Susan, howyadoin and Bizkit; So glad that you liked the painting and thank you for your comments. I too find the painting evocative and it reminds me of my ancestors. My grandparents had their wedding photograph taken in the yard in 1899 and my great grandparents celebrated their golden wedding there in 1910 surrounded by their extended family. So many memories from a bit of brown paint!That's a cool story. My family came to Newfoundland from England in the early 1800s, and I don't think we've ever stopped moving. For us there isn't a single piece of geography with the kind of connection your family obviously has to that yard and barn.

sonita
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Oh wow, the water drops...the way the sunlight touches the inside through the window and that colorful butterfly...great, great job!!
Soni

bertschikon
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
What would be really cool Brett would be to come back in another couple of hundred years and find out who is living in the longhouse then. My association with the house came through my paternal grandmother. My cousin who lives there now has three sons and they, between them, have three sons and four daughters. There's a pretty good chance that there will still be a family association 200 years hence. Not exactly a record for the UK but getting there.

Thank you Soni, glad that you enjoyed the painting.

chammi kaiser
07-16-2008, 05:25 PM
I am so glad I took a look at this Doug. It is a wonderful painting. Does not seem sombre to me. It has a sense of history and mystery about it. I love the detail and the light. Thanks for sharing the story behind this work.

asnowfall
07-17-2008, 03:37 AM
Very detailed and butterfly elevates further.

Lulu
07-17-2008, 04:19 AM
quality work, and masterfully painted. I love the addition of the butterfly too.

bertschikon
07-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Thank you Chammi and Snowfall and Lulu. Glad that you liked the story Chammi. I guess of all the paintings I've done since taking up with acrylics less than 2 years ago this must be my favourite. First because it gave me the opportunity to work extensively with glazes , a technique I'm enthusiastic about, and second because it hangs on my sitting room wall and I see it every day. I have a feeling, however, that the painting I'm working on right now might supplant it - for a while at least. But that's another story!

Charlie's Mum
03-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm so glad you posted this in the 2008 Open show thread doug - it gives me an opportunity I missed last year!

A beautiful, atmospheric and evocative painting.
The light on the pail is exquisite - so sensitively handles. I like the whole set-up though, and the colour schem - a little window into the past.
Love the touch of the bright butterfly lifting the earth colours.

Super painting.

jan409
03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I so love this painting. It is wonderful and so comforting. I could spend hours in that place. Well done. Jan

bertschikon
03-12-2009, 04:36 AM
Maureen, jan409: So glad to learn that you liked the painting. Sadly I no longer have it. Our younger son, although he has never lived in the old house, took a shine to the painting and now it adorns his flat in Cornwall.

Andun
03-12-2009, 06:43 AM
A lot is going on here and you have used a lot of techniques as well! Very fine work:)

vensunn
03-12-2009, 09:26 AM
As others have said, It is very evocative. Beautifully painted and is very "other time-other place" in feeling. Am enjoying looking at this so very much. Thanks for posting it!
Steven

bertschikon
03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Anthony, vensunn: Thank you for being so complimentary. It's nice to find that the painting continues to find approval on its "second time around."