PDA

View Full Version : Further work on Sun Setting over the Sea for C & C please

arl
07-14-2008, 02:29 PM
This is my reworked painting. I still canít decide whether I am comfortable with it. When I saw the image on the computer, I could see that I have to lighten the reflection of the sun on the water. I lightened and dulled the 3 boats and changed the first boat from green to blue. I tried to make the water near the horizon line closer to the hue and value of the sky. I glazed the front of the water to make it darker very carefully as I didnít want to make mud again. All comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2008/114108-sun_setting_resized.jpg

Jayde
07-15-2008, 07:04 AM
This painting has potential but still needs work. The most obvious problem is that you talk of a horizon line but to be honest I can't see it. It needs to be distinguished more. Also, I would expect that the boats furthest away would be smaller than those up close.

arl
07-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks for your help Jayde.

OkeeKat
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
I Agree Arlene, regarding the Horizon line, also blend the sun glow on the left into the blue more, maybe lighter as it goes outward.. too much of a defined line, vertical ending the glow and sea/sky.
Maybe just some thin horizontal strokes of purplishblues on the horizon in the sea, closely together and widening between then as you come closer to foreground with the orange/yellow glow of the sun between the blues might help, just a thought.

edtree
07-15-2008, 11:14 AM
:wave: Hi Arlene!

While I agree with the above suggestions, I have to say, this has come a long way and that you've done a great job on the edits so far! The water colors are so much more "watery" now and agree with the sky beautifully! You're getting there! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

ZanBarrage
07-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Arlene,

I actually like the sky and water very much as it is. I think it gives a feel of late summer afternoon on a muggy day.

The boats are a different matter. What you have painted are the idea of boats. what your mind remembers boats as. Are you working from a photo? If so, look carefully at the boats and forget about what your mind is telling you. First I doubt the boats are sitting that high on top of the water. The Sails can't be so perfectly triangular and as others have stated they can't all look the same size if they are at different distances.

Please see this link. Halfway down the page you will see this artist's observation sketches of boats. Please study them well and maybe they will help you.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~renann/werk%20uit%20augustus%202007.htm

edtree
07-15-2008, 11:26 AM
:wave: Great boat examples, Zan! I enjoyed viewing the paintings too! Thanks for the link! :D

Elizabeth

arl
07-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and advice.