PDA

View Full Version : Glass Is Driving Me Crazy

helenh
07-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I seem to remember somewhere here a discussion on different types of glass for pastel framing. It seems the conclusion was that True Vue A/R glass was the best. OK. All well and good. How the heck do you get the stuff? :confused: Any resource I can find requires that you buy a gazillion sheets at a time that would require me to take a second mortgage on my house to pay for it (not to mention the shipping).:eek:

I hate using plain old (cheap) picture frame glass because it makes everything look darker because it has a green tint to it. I learned that is because the glass has iron in it.

My dear husband has been making my mats for me, so at least I can save money on that, and I buy picture frames on sale, plus I buy acid free foam core by the sheet from Michaels. The only pain in the butt is the glass.

So, all you pros out there, what do you do, short of sending every piece to a professional framer?:confused:

CindyW
07-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I found a local woman in my town who owns a framing business. She sold me glass that I bought in a bulk order of 24 pieces of various sizes. She also cut it for me, wrapped each piece in brown paper, and was prompt in finishing the order. We also connected on a personal level as she is an artist as well, which was a pleasant plus to the transaction.
Perhaps you can find a local framer near you who does sell glass separately from a whole framing order of glass and mat and frame.
Good luck!
Cindy

backlash
07-14-2008, 03:47 PM
hi helen,
I use the tru-vue museum glass, which is their high-end product. I buy from M & M distributors in NJ (800-526-2302). They deliver FREE anywhere in NJ (my boyfriend lives there, so I just have it delivered to his house, then have him bring it here to MA to me) Needless to say, shipping is exceedingly $$$ and there can be excessive breakage and I think most sellers won't ship because of that. Have any friends in NJ? It might be worth the drive to go pick it up yourself. They probably have the A/R glass as well, plus lots of other supplies, like mat boards, framing tools and supplies, etc. Good luck
Leslie

Deborah Secor
07-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Helen, just so you have it, here's a dandy chart on different kinds of glass:

http://www.pro-art-source.com/glasschart.htm

If nothing else works out, I'd talk to a framer and see what they could do for you. If you have a tax ID number you can order glass from a wholesaler on your own at a substatial discount from retail, but the ID number is necessary. Sometimes a framer will sell you materials at 'cost plus'. Tell them you plan to do the fitting yourself and all you want is the glass. If you can offer to buy a quantity, as Cindy metioned, sometimes the price improves!

Deborah

helenh
07-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Leslie - I will be driving through NJ next month. Can I stop by their location and pick up an order or does it have to be delivered somewhere?

Deborah - I do have a tax ID number, but I can't locate a wholesaler. Any ideas?

Deborah Secor
07-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Again, If nothing else, I'd find a framer that you can piggyback an order with... if you have a tax ID number it should be no problem. You'll reduce the shipping costs if you have it shipped to them, then you pick it up there.

I buy from O'Malley Glass here in Albuquerque--but that's absurd for you to do! Surely the artists in your area have someone they deal with that supplies the framers. Check around for that. In our area it's a sort of middle man, a larger warehouse that orders supplies from some of the bigger wholesalers: moldings, glass, mats, foam core and all. You might just see if the framers nearby will share with you whether that sort of supply house is common around where you are. (TELL them you have a tax ID, or they'll not want to share...) Then you can do business with the middle man...

Um, Helen, don't expect the rock bottom price, and be prepared to order a certain amount, not one or two or five pieces. I'd figure out standard sizes and use those for economy!

Just a thought.
Deborah

PS Here's that original thread you referred to:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489657&highlight=glass+wholesale

Tressa
07-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Another artist and I share orders from a wholesaler. We order boxes of standard sizes and split the cost. Helen, he orders, cause he has the tax id, but I will try to get in touch with him, and get the name, is here in MD...maybe you can offer to split with someone, and keep your cost down.
Tres

helenh
07-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks so much Deborah and Tressa. We can always count on you two to come through with great advice!:thumbsup:

Tressa - I do have at least one artist friend who is willing to split the cost with me.

Helen

Tressa
07-14-2008, 09:32 PM
I couldn't reach David, but got the pres of Pastel Society...
She gave me this one: Must have your tax ID.

Try CMI Moulding, 4100 Star Pointe, Burtonsville, MD. 20866, 301-476-7440

Tressa
07-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Here is a cpl more:

Furst Brothers Company
P.O. Box 29908
Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 752-0325; 800-638-9398
Fax: (410) 752-6332
800-994-9437
www.furstbros.com
Pres: Susan Decker
Founded in 1865, Furst Brothers has
been owned by the Decker family
since 1933. The firm manufactures
wood moulding. It also chops and
manufactures readymade frames.
Furst publishes a monthly newsletter
and offers weekly warehouse sales on
overstocked moulding and frames.

Principal Lines: Nielsen & Bainbridge,
CRK, Crescent, Designer,
Foam-X, Furst Bros., Tru Vue

Holliday Picture Frames
200 Bedford Street
P.O. Box 469
Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
(814) 695-7575; 800-942-3000
Fax: (814) 695-8179
Pres: Martha J. Claar
Holliday, founded in 1970, is a full-service
distributor of moulding, equipment
and frame supplies. It features a full
line of chopped metal and wood
mouldings and matboards, plus mats
cut to oval, rectangular or multiple
specs. Holliday also offers a select line
of ovals and in-house ready-mades.

Principal Lines: CMI, Crescent,
Lineco, Multico, Nielsen & Bainbridge,
PB&H, Piedmont, Printmount, Seal,
Stewart, Tru Vue, Williamson

Territory: DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD,
NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, SC, VA, WV

helenh
07-15-2008, 09:49 AM
Wow! Thanks Tressa. I'll definitely investigate. You're a gem.

Helen