PDA

View Full Version : I am posting this for Patriciabuon (Painting)

~~Kathleen
07-13-2008, 10:30 PM
As Patricia could not seem to get her up-loader working, I am posting this for her, She will make comments!
~~Kathleen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2008/92567-Patricias_Painting.JPG

~~Kathleen
07-13-2008, 10:31 PM
WOW!
You sure figured out how to paint Rain Patricia.
This is wonderful!
~~Kathleen

imaginationcounts
07-13-2008, 10:41 PM
what a beautiful painting is that a plain air painting

Bizkit
07-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Outstanding rendering of the rain indeed!!!! These types of paintings depicting rain are quite popular here in New Orleans and fetch a fancy price with them, yours is outstanding!!! I really like the look of the 3 lights under the awning as well, gives off a real good mood to the painting.
Very well done!!!!

*Violet*
07-14-2008, 05:59 AM
awesome, patricia !! ... such an effective rendition of rain !! ... many thx, kathleen, for assisting with getting this larger pic posted ... it just looks better and better the bigger it is !!

arl
07-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Wonderful and I like the way you achieved the rain dripping off the overhang awning.

AndyMcC
07-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Beautiful, I really like the buildings in the distance the sketchy feel works really well, the rain running off the canopy is also great :)

patriciabuon
07-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks very much for posting this for me Kathleen. Bizkit, I'm interested in your comments about New Orleans. I am eager to sell - had my first exhibition in Australia very recently and sold well. Gave me the motivation I needed. I live in Virginia, an area where it is very hard to sell. Have you any suggestions about how I might enter the New Orleans market? I need to buy more paint and canvas!!!!!!!

debee
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Nicely done!

LavenderFrost
07-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Good work!

OkeeKat
07-14-2008, 12:44 PM
WOW Excellent rainy scene Patricia!!
I love the mood of the whole scene!!
Especialy the rain running off the canopy!! Its great!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

phobden
07-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Very good. The mood of rain is perfect.

Paetau
07-14-2008, 02:22 PM
this turned out really great...I am glad that things worked well for you...hope you are happy with it !

bertschikon
07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
This painting is terrific! The depiction of rain is outstanding. Whilst the foreground perspective is good that of the background buildings seems a bit off. The fact that their detail and tonal value is muted goes some way to overcome this problem.

patriciabuon
07-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks Doug. I appreciate your helpful criticism. I was worried about the same thing but was advised that the impressionistic low key quality of the background made it not a critical problem. So ... I left it alone, and felt uneasy about it. I hate perspective problems and agonize over them. I have had a couple of other pieces that improved out of sight when I finally got the geometry right, so maybe I need to go back to this one.

patriciabuon
07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Doug - a second thought. Any help you can offer would be gratefully received!!!!!

bertschikon
07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi Patricia. As an amateur painter I am no expert and therefore a little uncomfortable about offering advice largely because art appreciation is so very subjective. Probably the best advice I could give would be to ignore advice if you, yourself, are happy with your work. However, in this case you have expressed concern about the perspective of the background buildings so Iíll set out what I would do to correct it if it was my painting. The aim is to achieve an acceptable perspective with the minimum amount of correction.

First to be established is an eye line, the dotted line EL . This is the viewerís eye line and for convenience I have placed it just above the figure with the umbrella. Also for convenience it is horizontal in this case. Next establish a true vertical at right angles to the eye line. V1 is taken from where the corner of the far building meets the street. I have overlaid the dotted line PV over the corner of the building as it is painted and you will see that it slopes to the right giving the impression that the building is leaning towards the viewer. A second vertical V2 overlays what I take to be front corner of an extension to the building and this is fine. A ruler laid over the upper window line on the extension (line V2 a) conveniently meets the eyeline at the edge of the paper so Iíve taken this as an arbitrary vanishing point VP. So the upper window line is OK. Line V2 b follows your painted line so this too is OK. Line V2 c takes as its landmark the edge/corner of the extension window and you can see that your painted line to the right takes a much shallower angle to the VP so there is a little bit of correction needed there.

On the vertical V1, line a has been placed just above and line b just below your painted window lines and their angles are about right for this vanishing point. Lines c and d representing the upper and lower edge of the canopy over the ground floor windows of the far building show that the painted lines are quite a long way out so there is a substantial correction to be made here. Similarly with line e. With line f there is just a tiny tweak required to the building/pavement line.

Overall therefore, most of the corrective work is required to the far building between V1 and V2 where adjustment to the verticals together with re-aligning the canopy should serve to make the perspective in that plane more pleasing to the eye.

I hope that this is OK for you and good luck if you decide to go ahead.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2008/137418-Perspective2.jpg

patriciabuon
07-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Thank you very much Doug, for going to so much trouble to help me. I have reworked those background buildings and I am much happier with them. I will try and post the new version. Your advice was very helpful - perspective has always puzzled me. I have a question, though. How did you decide where the VP would be?

Cheers
Pat

bertschikon
07-17-2008, 04:43 AM
As I said in my post, the position of VP was fairly arbitrary. A ruler laid across the upper window line on the extension conveniently intersected the eyeline at the edge of the paper I was working on. Since at least three other extended window lines met at the same interesction it seemed appropriate to choose this as the VP thereby minimising the amount of correction work needed. The important thing is that you are happier with the result and I look forward to seeing the revised painting.