PDA

View Full Version : GEMINI DUNES--diptych

Ms.Understood
07-13-2008, 12:07 AM
These two came about in a whirlwind, and I love it when that happens!! I've been working on them for two days--almost solid, lost all track of time!!:lol:
So, I decided to do a large version of a 4 x 6 (Ladyscape) and it was pretty overwhelming.

These are 22 x 28" each.

Anyhow, I got 1/2 way though the new enlarged version and had an epiphany of sorts--is that the right word? (But I digress...)

I have wanted to do a series on the astrological signs, but stopped thinking about it at all when a few of the signs started to stump me for ideas.

HOW TO MAKE A LONG STORY BORING!:D

I PRESENT GEMINI DUNES/MASCULINE AND FEMININE--A DYPTECH!

I do have some small nitpicks to do, and even though they are actually discreetly signed, I AM, AS ALWAYS, OPEN TO C & C!:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2008/117883-II_Feminine_b.JPG

I'm having trouble posting--even resized these are coming out HUGE, have to attach the other two.

~~Kathleen
07-13-2008, 12:31 AM
You know Jenny, you just amaze me!
These are wonderful!
Stop with the discreet and sign them boldly!
They are done!
~~Kathleen
....A Gemini that really understands these!

Ms.Understood
07-13-2008, 12:37 AM
Kathleen!!!--a fellow gemini--I should have known!:clap: :D THANK-YOU!:thumbsup:

I am very excited about these...BUT, I have never done a two piece before...:o I imagine a bit of space put between the two, so am not overly concerned that they are completely synchronized--still, any advice? ...And women develop easier than men with me and a brush in hand, so any critiques are welcome!

I already did a small tweak, but all light is lost here.

~~Kathleen
07-13-2008, 12:43 AM
You are so welcome Jenny.
For myself, I would like to see a small space between them.
The way you have painted them it would be natural for the observers eyes to travel from one across to the other in a fluid movement!
I recognized the male as a man with no problem LOL
Again, I really love these!
~~Kathleen

OkeeKat
07-13-2008, 12:59 AM
WOW they are AMAZING!! I love them!!
Its a wonder how you can just do these, I have to have a reference of some sort to work from. well for now anyways.. as I'm still learning and haven't found my own style or type yet.

asnowfall
07-13-2008, 01:33 AM
nice

Bizkit
07-13-2008, 01:35 AM
That is totally awsome!!!! Im so inspired to do one of these..Hopefully very soon, I really just love the way they turn out!!! Outstanding work, Sign it large like your in charge!!!!!

susme48
07-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Let me see....WOW....awesome...terrific....wonderful!!!

And I should have known that you are a Gemini...so am I!

Ms.Understood
07-13-2008, 02:23 AM
And I should have known that you are a Gemini...so am I!

Susan--Thank-you!:wink2: (& with a friendly but forceful shove--much like "Elaine" in Seinfeld--the sitcom--I do watch too much TV!) SHUT- UP!!!:D

You, me and Kathleen--so far....(:music: but only I am Jenny Gini the gemini!:music::rolleyes: )

Kathie--I use references to some degree actually, but try to alter and "jen-gini-fy" them...:o (I draw out the general pose, stop looking, and paint...then maybe peek every now and then...)

asnowfall--Thanks!

Bizkit--quote--"Sign it large like your in charge!!!!!"

LOL--but I'm scared!:lol: :o I hate to scar the painting!:rolleyes:

Sonia
07-13-2008, 06:24 AM
Definitely a couple of winners!

arl
07-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Wonderful. I love the colours particularly the skies.

Lady Carol
07-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Wow, I am gob-smacked by this. This is awesome. Very creative too.

eyepaint
07-13-2008, 10:43 AM
These are awesome!!!! Wowee!!!

... the only thing that strikes me as a wee bit odd is how different the sky is from the dunes/figures... any thoughts about suggesting another pair of gemini twins up in the clouds? :)

gaykir
07-13-2008, 11:18 AM
These are simply incredible! Fantastic job. Your thrill about these really shows in the work. Your very best so far!!

edtree
07-13-2008, 01:11 PM
:wave: I say, don't touch a single thing! And you know I don't hold back, lol! My gosh - these are extraordinary, Jenny! I wish I had access to that smilie that is huge and bows! These will have to do >>>> :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elizabeth :D

P.S. I am SO proud of you!!!! :heart:

debee
07-13-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't know what you could tweek on these any more. They are just lovely!

lilbelle
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Jenny, these are both fabulous! (I am also a Gemini) I love how they fit together. Wonderful work!!!

Margaret 59
07-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Very clever and appealing Jenny.

Ms.Understood
07-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Sonia--Thanks so much for the winning remarks!:wink2:

Arl--I do so appreciate your fondness of the sky--this size was more difficult, and did not flow as easily as the much smaller ones I've done recently...:rolleyes: Your comment was reassuring.

Carol--:lol: "Gob-smacked"? That's a huge compliment!:heart: Thank-you!

EP--Thank-you.As far as the clouds go, it's funny because most of my others have something in the clouds, but this one, I refused to take that direction with, and just focus and the bodyscapes.;)

Gayle--Thank-you! The whole idea just started spiraling, and it was a good feeling!:heart:

Elizabeth--Not a single tweak? Wow!:D (I did do one thing...) Thank-you so much! I'm so proud of me I don't even want to sell these at this point--I better get painting some more to get some distance from these!

Debbie--Thanks! I did do one minor tweak, but have left them alone since fearing I'd get carried away and muck it up.:rolleyes:

Lillian--Another twin!:wave: Thank-you!

One tweak--So, all I did was put in a small area of midtone in the plane where her belly is below her hand.
(This picture is with a flash--not the best lighting.)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jul-2008/117883-II_Feminine_c.JPG

Ms.Understood
07-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Margaret!--Cross post, just missed you--THANKS!:-)

amotwell
07-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Jenny, I've been away all weekend and missed all of the fanfare, but these are gorgeous! You've really outdone yourself!

TurkeyVulture
07-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Wow, what a cool idea! I love it!

Night Dancer
07-15-2008, 01:14 AM
I like how you blended the colors of the lower part of the sky to be almost a reflection of the mountain tops. Your sky colors mix in with the clouds very well. I get a feeling of an ensuing sunrise.

MoonRise
07-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Jenny,

Nice. Stylized, yet not totally abstract.

About the only negative I would comment on is the woman's hand on her hip. It's blocky and reminds me of a stone statue, but yet still mostly works because the 'character' is after all stone/earth/rock/sand/dust/what-have-you.

If you had just the index finger of her hand on her hip at the skyline and then the thumb angled down, maybe that would make the viewer 'work' just a little harder to 'see' the image. And thus make them feel more of an "Ah-ha!" when they -do- 'see' her. Only because the hand isn't quite as stylized or abstracted as much as the rest of 'her' and reads as a hand much easier.

But that would mostly come in the "artistic vision" area, so don't fret it.

I like the hair, tension in the neck, the sweep of the chest up through the raised arm.

Again, nice.

'His' is nice also. There the hand has been abstracted more and is blended and flowing into the head/hair more and doesn't show as a 'hand' right away. Again, stylized yet not totally abstract.

zoropb
07-15-2008, 12:07 PM
J this is some of your best.
Ride this pony I think you got a winner theme here.

Sergio

Ms.Understood
07-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks Angela, TurkeyVulture(:lol:), NightDancer, and Sergio!

MoonRise--That's a good idea about the hand position...Funny, though, in the man, it's his hair flowing over his arm and his hand is behind his head (in my mind) but I certainly see it now the way you do!:wink2:

JamieWG
07-15-2008, 09:48 PM
What a cool concept, and nicely executed!

Jamie