PDA

View Full Version : Obama

Smoker
07-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've never tried painting a person before and not knowing anything about art I figured that it would be a real good idea to get some help.

I decided to try to paint Obama because, hopefully, he will be the next President of the US.

It is acrylic on canvas measuring 14"x18".

Please, any C&C will be greatly appreciated.

Smoker

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2008/117886-Obama.jpg

Linee
07-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Good likeness.

I hope you don't get flack over a political figure like I did once. ;)

Smoker
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Linee - Thanks.

I don't care about the flack. I'm too old and stupid to care about political opinions other than my own.:evil:

OkeeKat
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Pretty good likeness Linda!!

debee
07-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Very good likeness. It looks to me as though the pupils of his eyes are a little off. Try turning your ref. and painting upside down to make the correction. Nice work!

Paetau
07-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Thats really good...nice work on the ear...I always have problems with ears!

Ms.Understood
07-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Great likeness--I wish he was bigger and took up more of the space--but that's neither here nor there I suppose.

tonyjazz
07-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Good likeness and looks peeved at something, Maybe Jessie Jacksons remarks...I like it. TJ

~~Kathleen
07-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Not really knowing who this is, I will not comment on the individual.
I do think that the background is too blue, and showing too little support for the portrait.
He is (as well) just sitting there, maybe a bit more in the way of defining the arms and torso might help?
A variance in the colours of the background would probably be more effective!
~~Kathleen

Ms.Understood
07-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Not really knowing who this is, I will not comment on the individual.

I'm sorry, I have nothing against him, rather like him--but with all the WHOOP-LA that is absolutely refreshing to hear!:lol:

arl
07-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Very good likeness. I saw his image immediately.

Lady Carol
07-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Really good likeness. Well done.

edtree
07-12-2008, 11:23 AM
:wave: It may not be perfect, but I really like it just as is. A very good likeness I thought! :thumbsup: :D

Elizabeth

sonita
07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Great likeness!!
Soni

LavenderFrost
07-12-2008, 12:19 PM
A good likeness, I think. Kathleen, don't you have a tv? lol

purplepansey
07-12-2008, 12:21 PM
I think it's a very good likeness, and he seems to be listening to a question asked and you've portrayed that look beautifully. I'd like to see a little more life in the eyes otherwise, it's terrific.

~~Kathleen
07-12-2008, 01:45 PM
A good likeness, I think. Kathleen, don't you have a tv? lol Tehehehehe
Actually, Michelle I don't have a TV.
There is so little that I like to watch now a days, and I am so busy doing things that I really enjoy, that a television does not fit into my scheme of things now!
I have heard about him, (Obama) as is with all the other candidates, but the US elections run on for about a gazillion years before the actual date, that I
just concern myself with the actual election (If then) when it happens.
This is not a put down of the USA and its' electoral system, just my opinion of the length of the prelims.
~~Kathleen

PattiLou
07-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I have heard about him, (Obama) as is with all the other candidates, but the US elections run on for about a gazillion years before the actual date, that I
just concern myself with the actual election (If then) when it happens.
This is not a put down of the USA and its' electoral system, just my opinion of the length of the prelims.
~~Kathleen

You hit the nail right on the head :wave: They certainly do run on for way too long, spend too much money and drive everyone crazy, errh, crazier. That said, I think they should get rid of the whole lot, give new candidates a month to run and elect all new ones... with SHORT term limits. We sure do have some old geezers who should have retired by now. They don't do a good job we shouldn't elect them the next time. Notice: This is not for or against any party and not starting an argument... just fed up with the government in general. :(

Smoker: You have a good likeness, but in my eyes he does look like he is mad at something/someone. Good on ya for trying a portrait.

Smoker
07-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've tried to make corrections to the eye on the left of the painting. I did a few other little odds and ends but I don't know if they're even noticeable.

The painting is the size it is because I want to frame it (maybe). Since I have never framed a painting before I don't know how much room to leave around the edges. No matter, I wouldn't repaint it anyhow. It was a good learning exercise and I really appreciate everyone's kind comments.

Thank you very much :clap: - Smoker

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jul-2008/117886-Obama.jpg

Ms.Understood
07-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Smoker--Ah, yes, a frame should cut about a 1/2 inch off all the way around, and in your fine tuning he does seem more bold!

asnowfall
07-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Nice, very much like him :-)

dejaa
07-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Very good likeness. I like the changes you made to his hair and face. For a first portrait you did a very good job.

debee
07-13-2008, 01:22 PM
This is a fine finish! I hope to see more of your portraits in the future.

Smoker
07-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

Ms. Understood, asnowfall, dejaa, and debee, thanks for your kind comments.

I have made some corrections that I believe, have enhanced the painting. I have added a little twinkle to his left (our right) eye, made some small changes to his lips and added some purple to the background.

Thanks again for all your kind comments - Smoker

Smoker
07-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I made some changes that had been suggested. I want to change the shadding on the jacket (2 light sources) but for the most part I believe I've finished.

Thank you everyone.

Smoker

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jul-2008/117886-Obama2.jpg

Onewithwings
07-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I really like your style :)

Mixael
07-19-2008, 06:31 AM
I really wish I hadn't overlooked this post at first! I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even see it until just now:(

That being said, I will give my opinion of the painting.

Although I don't know WHO I want to be the next US Pres, I DO like the painting. The likeness is just right, allowing the viewer to know who it is (If they know who he is, that is). It is a VERY well done first portrait, and I think you should try some more.

And, like Smoker, the only political opinion I care about is mine :D But since this is a forum for art, not political argument, I can set aside the election stuff, and say that I truly like this painting for its art. Smoker, you did a fine job.

Michael

Artchrispy
07-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Very strong portrait and great likeness. You've really captured the expression in his eyes.

clementine
07-19-2008, 04:52 PM
even from France I recognize him!:wink2:
clem

snowlover
07-19-2008, 10:04 PM
I think it is a good likeness. I'm not sure I could do better, but a suggestion. I don't think that the mouth is on the same plane as the rest of the face. It is turn ever so slightly to the right. As John Singer Sargent said, "A portrait is a painting with something not quite right about the mouth." Speaking as someone who has attended life drawing sessions for years, I think the mouth is the hardest feature to get absolutely right.

~~Kathleen
07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Please do not misunderstand me Clem, I do know who he is, I just do not think that I have ever seen a picture of him that would give me a basis for comparison!
~~Kathleen

clementine
07-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Kathleen my comment was not linked up to yours!:) I only wanted to say that the painting has a good likeness in regard of the images I saw on TV!
no doubt you know him better than me!:lol:
always friends?:heart: :) :D
:wave: clem

espana
11-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Hello :)

Good likeness, Obama the bringer of peace.

Cheers
Espana

*Violet*
11-25-2008, 09:56 PM
great job on a first portrait !! ... a really good likeness ...