PDA

View Full Version : A Mini Box for Plein Air

Donna T
07-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi everyone, here's a little box I adapted for quickie plein air opportunities. It's a sturdy little box that came with greeting cards and the outside dimensions are 5 1/2"x 7 1/2". WC Lee, I hope you don't see this. It's nowhere near as nice as the box you made!

Here's the box with the lid closed. Notice the fancy rubber band to keep it closed. I wear this on my wrist so don't lose it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2008/97763-box_1_WC.jpg

Open the lid and there is an envelope (recycled from the EasyL company)that holds a few sheets of paper. I keep the envelope closed with some self-stick Velcro tabs. On the other side of the envelope is the foam core inner lid that protects the pastels. Notice the high-tech ribbon to lift up this piece.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2008/97763-box2_WC.jpg

I made a support for the envelope/inner lid from thin strips of foam core which are glued around the edges of the inside of the box. The pastels sit on foam and a piece of cotton quilt batting to get to the right height to fit snugly when the box is closed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2008/97763-box4_WC.jpg

I padded the bottom side of the inner lid with foam. The black things in the corners are Velcro - to be explained.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2008/97763-box5_WC.jpg

The envelope/inner lid sticks to Velcro on the bottom corners of the box. Nothing to hold and nothing to lose! I "laminated" the envelope with clear packing tape to help keep it clean.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jul-2008/97763-box6_WC.jpg

So there it is ... I'm not sure how long it will last but it didn't cost a dime and it works real well. Now I have no excuse for not having pastels with me and practicing some mini plein air painting.

Donna

bnoonan
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Compact, efficient and thanks for sharing. Now... when do I get the greeting card that you obviously sent me from the box and it got lost in the mail?

barb

Donna T
07-11-2008, 12:44 PM
I sent it via Pony Express, Barb. It should be there any year now. If I lived close enough to you I would dare us both to go out and do some sheep paintings en plein air.

Donna

Colorix
07-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Donna T, thank you so much! It is a beauty, including your clever use of hi-tech and fancy. Very clever solutions, and so neat to velcro the inner lid to the bottom when open.

A couple of questions:

Was the outer lid as is, or did you cut off flaps and edges and hinged it?

Do you use the lid as an easel?

If, how do you manage larger formats, and upright formats, and how do you make it stay up under pressure?

Thanks a lot!

Gotta check out WC's too, I've not seen it, yet, I think.

WC Lee
07-11-2008, 01:16 PM
hehe ... I see this :) doesn't matter how it looks as long as it is functional. It looks compact and efficient for them small quick sketches, the only thing I would suggest doing is using the clear packaging tape to re-enforce the paper hinge holding the lid. The wooden cigar box from Michaels would make a good portable pastel sketch box with a few modifications.

Paula Ford
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Well, isn't that the coolest little box! I love the high tech ribbon too! :D

Donna T
07-11-2008, 06:52 PM
A couple of questions:

Was the outer lid as is, or did you cut off flaps and edges and hinged it?

Do you use the lid as an easel?

If, how do you manage larger formats, and upright formats, and how do you make it stay up under pressure?

Hi Charlie! You mean they don't already sell such high-tech art boxes in Sweden? To answer your questions, the outer lid came as is. It's just a cardboard hinge and will wear out eventually. Some of the nicer card boxes have a magnetic closure. That would help but I'd still use the rubber band just in case. Yes, the outer lid is used as the easel. I just open the box and hold it in one arm or put it on my lap and paint with the other. The lid/easel is only held in position by my arm. Hmmm ... larger formats probably won't work on this. I guess I can just turn the box sideways to do vertical formats but I haven't got that far yet. You need to check out WC's box if you want one with all the bells and whistles. His probably has a cup holder. Mine is the economy version! :lol:

WC, You know I can hear you laughing! Thanks for the tip about reinforcing the hinge part. By the time that wears out I'll be looking for another box.

Paula, Thanks! Everything I used came from stuff around the house. I could probably find parts for a new tripod if I looked hard enough.

Scottyarthur
07-11-2008, 10:39 PM
What a little innovation will do, great ideas from great people.

WC Lee
07-13-2008, 11:31 PM
I would never laugh at anyone's ideas or innovations :) well, except at myself when something that seems sound when visualized in my mind ends up looking really stupid when trying to create it into a physical form.

Tressa
07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Cool idea Donna...no cup holder?:p

Donna T
07-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Scott, WC and Tressa, it's so nice that we can share ideas here, and have fun doing it. At least the little box is somewhat more innovative than my fix of our broken toaster oven handle; a paper clip. :rolleyes:

Donna

scall0way
07-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi everyone, here's a little box I adapted for quickie plein air opportunities.

:lol: - now this looks like *my* level of technology! Great idea. :)

Donna T
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks Debbie!

Donna