PDA

View Full Version : Maine#1 (First Golden Open Piece)

shunter
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM
This is a 9 x 12 on Canvas Board of a Classic Landmark. It's the first of a few images from my weekend trip to Maine to drop off my son at camp. It's my first Golden Open piece and I loved the way the paint handles! I am just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a blue which might be better for skies and water than ultramarine?

Steve

HOllyLL
07-11-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm from Maine orginally...this is GREAT! For skies, I use some cerulean maybe mixed w/some ultra to go for almost a "periwinkle" look if that's what I want...and I add some white to soften sometimes! Looking good..I'll have to give those paints a try!!

Linee
07-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Very nice! Love the bold red set against the blue sky.
I sometimes use a bit of pthalo blue with my ultramarine. I don't always do the exact same thing for the sky, though. Sometimes I'll add a hint of cadmium red and yellow.

mollynix
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Very nice! I am anxious to try the new Golden Open as well but my Canadian supplier isn't handling it yet! My favourite blue for skies is pthalo mixed with blending medium or white for a different shade.

susme48
07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Really nice....and I am envious....I cannot wait to get some of the new paint and take it for a test drive...lol!!

OkeeKat
07-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Lovely!! I have yet to try those paints!

JamieWG
07-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Beautiful job! It sure makes me yearn for those great Maine lobsters. My husband and I usually go every year, but last year we didn't make it that far north. I'm hopeful for August!

I've found that sometimes a tiny amount of phthalo blue added to the sky mix of ultramarine and white is often just the thing for those clear blue skies. I prefer that to the cerulean blue chromium hue in the OPEN line of paints, though in oils I sometimes turn to real cerulean.

Jamie

sks
07-11-2008, 08:44 PM
It's been awhile since my hubby and I have been to Maine. We really loved it.
My favourite sky colours are prussian blue with a hint of Paynes gray for the corners, then titanium while for the cloulds.. In acrylic I like to glaze with Transparent yellow oxide for that old masters feel.
Cheers
Sharon

shunter
07-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Thank you all for the comments and the helpful hints on blues. Jamie with your experience with Open paints, is it any problem to use a little phthalo from another brand?

By the way... I put out paint Tuesday night on a glass pallette in a plastic container and on Friday night it is just as moist! Even some thin blends on the glass are still usable.

Steve

arl
07-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Wonderful work. I looked for the Golden open paint but it isn't yet in my main art stores. I love the red with the blue sky.

JamieWG
07-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Jamie with your experience with Open paints, is it any problem to use a little phthalo from another brand?

By the way... I put out paint Tuesday night on a glass pallette in a plastic container and on Friday night it is just as moist! Even some thin blends on the glass are still usable.

Steve

Steve, I think that's a great idea. If you find you're incorporating phthalo a lot, you can always then pick up phthalo in the OPEN line at a later date. Mixing regular acrylics into the OPEN paints will affect the drying time, but phthalo is such a strong color that I doubt you'll be using much of it.

I too have been amazed by how well the paints keep. I have a small, plastic subdivided container for my main colors when painting plein air, so that I don't have to bring tubes and jars with me. It doesn't dry out in that.

Jamie